Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Laptop help
Matt
post Jul 28 2007, 05:15 PM
Post #1

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 127

Active Squad

Hey everyone, I'm looking for a laptop that would have great gaming capabilities but can also be great for work and note taking when I use it in college. The Weight wont really bother me much but I'm just pretty noob when it comes to computers. I want to be able to leave my desktop behind and just stick with my Laptop. For some reason my parents wont let me keep my compy in my room for some reason. Since that's the case I'll just keep my laptop with me. Does anyone have any suggestions? I want to try and keep the price below $2000. But if it's a little over, I might be able to deal with it then. Thanks for any advice.

EDIT: this is one that I'm currently thinking about...http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16834220182

--------------------
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Guest_Removed_*
post Jul 28 2007, 10:18 PM
Post #2

Guests

Yeah, that lappy isn't bad at all. Shop around though, I'll talk to my cousin tomorrow and see what he uses, he's a giant laptop freak. But of course, I just think multimedia laptops are overpriced like hell. Stand by!
+Quote Post

Matt
post Jul 28 2007, 11:28 PM
Post #3

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(Removed @ Jul 28 2007, 11:18 PM) *
Yeah, that lappy isn't bad at all. Shop around though, I'll talk to my cousin tomorrow and see what he uses, he's a giant laptop freak. But of course, I just think multimedia laptops are overpriced like hell. Stand by!

Alright, Thanks for the help!

--------------------
+Quote Post

Slash
post Jul 30 2007, 01:44 AM
Post #4

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Validating
Member No.: 106

Active Squad

That laptop seems okay. I like HP though. My laptop is an HP and I haven't had one problem with it.

--------------------
I have claimed me a
+Quote Post

Diagon
post Jul 30 2007, 08:41 AM
Post #5

Fuyumine Naoto
Group Icon

Group: Validating
Member No.: 15

Active Squad

This one looks pretty nice, and the price's been hacked off around 500 dollars from what I see. :O

Personally, laptops that are fit for gaming (which basically means they have a large hard drive D:) are ripping you off if it's like... $2000. But that's only in my opinion. I totally agree with Removed on this-- shop around, see what's good and such. Ask one of your friends for help if they're computer-saavy. :D (because relying on other people is waaaay easier, kukuku)

--------------------
Dragonair is mine. ♥
[ oh no my dear | PM | LJ ]
+Quote Post

Matt
post Jul 30 2007, 10:11 AM
Post #6

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(Diagon @ Jul 30 2007, 09:41 AM) *
This one looks pretty nice, and the price's been hacked off around 500 dollars from what I see. oh.gif

Personally, laptops that are fit for gaming (which basically means they have a large hard drive noes.gif) are ripping you off if it's like... $2000. But that's only in my opinion. I totally agree with Removed on this-- shop around, see what's good and such. Ask one of your friends for help if they're computer-saavy. smile.gif (because relying on other people is waaaay easier, kukuku)

Thanks for the advice but the link doesn't work....

--------------------
+Quote Post

Guest_Removed_*
post Jul 30 2007, 11:52 PM
Post #7

Guests

Well, I can't get ahold of him. I'm not much of a laptop buff, I really loathe them. Just make sure you get tons of ram, nice processor and video card if you're wanting games to look good. Steer clear of those "Mobile" processors like the AMD Turion and such. Of course, if you want longer battery life, you'll need a mobile processor, haha, so it's really your choice. Not to start AMD vs. Pentium or anything, but AMD has always ran games better for me and Pentium does multitasking better. ABSORB THE KNOWLEDGE.
+Quote Post

Zerxer
post Jul 31 2007, 12:16 AM
Post #8

Zerkadelic
Group Icon

Group: Root Administrators
Member No.: 2

My Favorites

QUOTE(Diagon @ Jul 30 2007, 09:41 AM) *
laptops that are fit for gaming (which basically means they have a large hard drive noes.gif)

No, you really don't need that much hard drive space for games. Laptops that are fit for gaming have, well:
QUOTE(Removed @ Jul 31 2007, 12:52 AM) *
tons of ram, nice processor and video card

--------------------
Want a rotating avatar like mine? Check out my website: randimg!
Thanks to all of the people in this thread and this thread for the various avatars!

+Quote Post

Guest_Dark Knight_*
post Aug 1 2007, 07:23 PM
Post #9

Guests

Clearly Zerxer has never tried to play Supreme Commander, which requires 20GB.

I personally recommend Fujitsu Siemen's Amilo line of laptops. I have one of the high-end models, and I've never had any problems apart from heat issues due to the over-powered components.
+Quote Post

Matt
post Aug 1 2007, 08:07 PM
Post #10

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(Dark Knight @ Aug 1 2007, 08:23 PM) *
Clearly Zerxer has never tried to play Supreme Commander, which requires 20GB.

I personally recommend Fujitsu Siemen's Amilo line of laptops. I have one of the high-end models, and I've never had any problems apart from heat issues due to the over-powered components.

HOw much was it?

--------------------
+Quote Post

Guest_Removed_*
post Aug 1 2007, 08:41 PM
Post #11

Guests

Yeah, same problem I've had with any laptop when I ran games on it. Gets too hot.
+Quote Post

Guest_Dark Knight_*
post Aug 2 2007, 08:52 AM
Post #12

Guests

Well, my one was the high end model, so it was the most expensive, about Ł1,500. Or just over $3000. However, if you go down a few steps you can get one for about Ł600.
+Quote Post

Matt
post Aug 2 2007, 11:24 AM
Post #13

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

Hmmm pounds. Will it do the conversion if I use Pay pal?

--------------------
+Quote Post

Guest_Dark Knight_*
post Aug 2 2007, 06:41 PM
Post #14

Guests

It should. It always does it for me when I import from other countries.
+Quote Post

Guest_Removed_*
post Aug 7 2007, 06:15 AM
Post #15

Guests

Jesus, 3000 bucks, haha. Just irks the hell outta me to think what I could build for what laptops cost these days. :down:
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 05:24 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.