Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
An update regarding our community
Zerxer
post Jul 2 2020, 05:07 PM
Post #1

Zerkadelic
Group Icon

Group: Root Administrators
Member No.: 2

My Favorites

There's been some unfortunate news we'd like to share with the community because we feel it's important for you all to know.

We recently became aware of the fact that Gryphaena passed away at the end of last month. As many of you know, she's been a very active member of GPX+ for 10 years, especially on our old IRC and on our Discord. I know many of you can say she's been involved in your daily life in this community, she was always eager to help users out through incentives she ran like Sky Gifts and Pal Pad exchange. She's also been vocal in praising the community on Discord and our charity events to organizations such as the ACLU.

While we do not know the specifics of her passing, nor do we wish to speculate, we feel it's important to note that Gryph was very candid about mental health issues and supportive of users seeking professional help if they need it. If you're reflecting on our time spent with her and wondering if there's anything you can do, maybe considering donating to a charity she personally cared about such as the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. GPX will also be donating all July Credit purchases to this charity.

Please remember to seek professional help if you feel you need it, there are free resources available as well.

https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
https://www.crisisservicescanada.ca/en/
https://www.reddit.com/r/SWResources/commen...struggling_with
https://www.ementalhealth.ca/
https://www.thetrevorproject.org/

Please bear in mind that now is not the time for speculation or any inappropriate comments. She was a good member of the community, please give her the same appreciation.

Again, 100% of proceeds from "Plus Credits" purchased during the month of July will be donated to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.

Our thoughts are with her family and friends during this time.

--------------------
Want a rotating avatar like mine? Check out my website: randimg!
Thanks to all of the people in this thread and this thread for the various avatars!

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Amberfunk
post Jul 2 2020, 05:21 PM
Post #2

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 105 850

Beautiful Change

I am so incredibly saddened to hear this. They were very kind always. Always very helpful and open talking about mental health issues. My heart goes out to their family. Thank you, Nick, for letting everyone know.

--------------------

Credits (click to show)
+Quote Post

Plain Jane
post Jul 2 2020, 06:35 PM
Post #3

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 255 848

Active Squad

The process of wondering where she was with everyone on the Discord, worrying for weeks, finding out, having a full blown panic attack, and then working up the effort to pass it along to staff while in a state of complete numbness last night was an awful experience.

I had only spoken to Gryphaena a few times in the Discord, but I was among the nearly 2000 users she helped get the Social Network achievement, and though I can't verify this due to the nature of the system, I'm sure I've received a good amount of Sky Gifts on behalf of her group as well. Despite not being close to her at all, the few times I was able to speak to her I got an impression that matched her unparalleled community efforts that she took upon herself in the 10 years she was with us. Notwithstanding her efforts to make GPX+ a more enjoyable experience for everyone who played, she also made several threads for particularly difficult topics, providing a space within our community to voice their own struggles and experiences, and many can attest to Gryph giving her best effort to help people in a more personalized manner as well if they were feeling upset.

I would like to call attention to two main pillars of her community efforts on GPX+, her groups The Postal Service and The Networking Ninjas. Vital to each group was their founder's passion and constant tending to their duties, and I would hate for this tragedy to cause them both to fall apart.

For The Postal Service, if you are able to do so, I would ask that everyone send out Sky Gifts if they can, tally the amount you have sent, and post the amount to the main thread so it can be added to the total. Before this happened, the group's goal was to get to 10,000 total sent, and as of now they are at 9248 as of May 31, 2020. It would be lovely if this goal could be reached in her memory.

For The Networking Ninjas, I am less sure as to how this group could remain as active as it was. The primary engine of the group was Gryphaena, who always put out public calls to add users in her status and on Discord as well as likely directed her group members privately to add target users. I would like to hear from people in the group who are listed as "PM for SN" and especially Tier Moderators to see if the primary functions of this group can still be maintained.

How to send out Sky Gifts (click to show)

Gryphaena's groups:
The Networking Ninjas
The Postal Service

Gryphaena's discussion threads (these are merely here to further highlight her value and commitment to the community):
LGBTQ+
Mental Illness
Interfaith
GPX+ Appreciation Station

My heart goes out to her family, friends, and anyone who has been touched by her within the GPX+ community. I hope I have helped further illustrate to those unfamiliar how much of a loss this is and how important Gryphaena was to so many people. In addition to keeping her groups active, any further ideas for how we might honor her memory would be appreciated.

Goodbye, Gryphaena, you will be terribly missed.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Level-X
post Jul 2 2020, 07:14 PM
Post #4

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 170 583

Squad

This was not something I wanted to read today.. and I can only imagine the feeling of having to deliver this news to the community both through the forums and on discord.

Gryph was a kind and caring person, very active in our community and she played a big part of helping anyone she could. Helping people get the Social Network achievement, making Sky Gifts have more activity, and even taking the time of sending monthly PMs.

We lost a great person and friend. She'll be missed dearly. Thoughts go out to family and friends.

This post has been edited by Level-X: Jul 2 2020, 07:15 PM

--------------------
GPX+ Shiny Tracker (v3.1.1) last updated on Oct. 16, 2023

» » » We can help you a lot quicker through the Discord compared to the Forums! « « «

+Quote Post

Plain Jane
post Jul 2 2020, 07:22 PM
Post #5

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 255 848

Active Squad

Addendum to my post: In the Discord, we've been brainstorming a way to further memorialize Gryphaena by voting for symbolic options for this month's site-wide shiny hunt. THESE ARE SUGGESTIONS. Remember that a game is not more important than a very real loss, and I, in agreement with several users in the community (and hopefully anyone else reading this), am suggesting these symbolic options to vote for. If they are not picked, or if someone doesn't want to vote for these, I'd rather not see some kind of struggle over it when it's merely a nice gesture memorializing the far more important tragedy.

Our options:
1. Omanyte

An edited picture of Omastar has been Gryphaena's profile picture for years. It also connects to some of the reasoning that went into her username. She was also a fan of purple shinies.

2. Wingull

Its evolution, Pelipper, is a mail deliverer in the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series. This symbolizes her Sky Gift delivery group, which is quite fittingly called The Postal Service.

3. Happiny

It evolves when friendship is maxed and its evolutions are heavily connected to deep friendship and love. Gryph's Social Network group, as well as the love she showed to the community, are the obvious connections here.

If you are in agreement with these options, and if you wish, please consider voting for these options in Gryph's memory. Please let me know what you think.

This post has been edited by vendyjane: Jul 2 2020, 07:40 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Lilium Alice
post Jul 2 2020, 07:55 PM
Post #6

Ahbloogiewoogiewoo
Group Icon

Member No.: 22 532

My Pokemans

My heart goes out to Gryphaena's family and friends. The loss of a loved one is never easy.

I didn't interact with her much outside of Networking Ninjas, but I know that she put a lot of effort into helping other users enjoy the site and brought us together to achieve something wonderful.

Vendyjane has brought up Gryphaena's groups already. I'm also not sure how Networking Ninjas will maintain their level of activity, granted I think the majority of us worked quietly. We haven't achieved Gryphaena's goal of 2,000 users having unlocked SN yet, but are so close. I'll be thinking of her when we do reach that goal.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Sunsette
post Jul 2 2020, 08:02 PM
Post #7

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 144 622

Active Squad

This is heartbreaking to hear. I'm not very active in the social side of GPX, but I've been here for almost 10 years now and have seen her doing things around the site for all that time, including helping me out with the Social Network achievement like she did many others. Though we didn't interact much personally, I know she was a wonderful, valued member of the community, and my heart goes out to her friends and family.
+Quote Post

Eryth Violet
post Jul 2 2020, 08:23 PM
Post #8

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 16 400

Shiny

Came back to GPX last July/August, and only days afterwards I had unlocked Social Network. I just happened to look in the Discord and see that she had posted my profile there, asking people to add me. It told me a lot about her. She always posted things like that, just to help people in this game, when she had zero obligation to.

I didn't know her well, but she was very kind, and she's already missed.

--------------------

hi kingis
+Quote Post

Mutant
post Jul 2 2020, 08:37 PM
Post #9

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 144 785

Rubber Ducky

Our system has not been too active in the community , but we still recognize Gryph even if we only interacted with her very scarcely. Hearing people talking about her makes us wish we had known her better since she sounds like an incredible person, and I think I can speak for all of us that we are saddened by her death.

--------------------
Anomaly
Multiple System | They/Them

+Quote Post

Yamper
post Jul 2 2020, 09:01 PM
Post #10

Axew and Volcarona enthusiast
Group Icon

Member No.: 61 211

Invisible Kyurem

Gryph had a lasting effect on our community, through helping almost 2,000 users with Networking Ninjas for the Social network achievement and The Postal Service for Sky Gift distribution.

Whilst I do not Gryphaena personally, she has been a longstanding member of the IRC and Discord server throughout the years who has often promoted great positivity and showed great approvement towards some site decisions (such as ACLU donations).

I don't really have many words to say as I've been active alongside her for a number of years (probably totalling nearly a decade now) so it's hard. Very hard.

My heart goes out to her family and those affected during this saddening time. Wherever she may be, I hope she is at peace.

--------------------

Don't forget to love yourself.
Add me for daily clicks: 873/1000

[align=center]---

Community Thread Shiny List!

---[/align]
[align=right]Breeding Incentives: Mission Cards
[/align]
+Quote Post

abcdefghijklmnop...
post Jul 2 2020, 09:10 PM
Post #11

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 176 857

Active Squad

I was at one of the lowest point in my life and I put'' could really use a hug right now'' in my status not expecting anyone to care but Gryphaena was very kind and checked on me, im grateful for that and will always be. Rest in peace Gryphaena.

This post has been edited by Enji: Jul 2 2020, 09:11 PM
+Quote Post

Unnoticeable Koh...
post Jul 2 2020, 09:28 PM
Post #12

Still around
Group Icon

Member No.: 54 909

Epics

"I hope today brings you everything you need"

Gryph always ended her pm's to me with that, when she was asking for me to add someone for Social Network. It was a bit of kindness, a small well-wish, and now, I realize the weight of those words.

Thank you, Gryph, for all that you've done. You really helped built this community, with small things like trinkets/sky gifts, Social Network, and just being a positive force in this place.

Thank you.

This post has been edited by Unnoticeable Kohai: Jul 2 2020, 09:29 PM

--------------------
[align=centerOccasionally pops in to post in various threads, best way to get back to me is via pm[/align]
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Jul 2 2020, 10:24 PM
Post #13

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

Gryph was an energetic person who was always willing to learn and willing to do what's right. She was electric and she spread positive vibes and was never afraid to speak her mind or hear thoughts, and never afraid to help someone out in need. It's such a sad, sad loss.

This is probably one of the hardest years in a long, long time for everyone. Stay in touch everyone, stay safe, don't be afraid to reach out and all the love and prayers to everyone, especially Gryph's family right now for the loss of a wonderful person.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Megatron
post Jul 2 2020, 10:40 PM
Post #14

I am Nohrbat
Group Icon

Member No.: 22 018

Transformer-mons

I was another person who interacted with Gryph only a small handful of times, but as a lurker on Discord it was clear to me how much she cared for everyone, and reading what a force for good she was through everything she did both on the site and off it I hope is something everyone remembers her fondly by. My deepest, sincerest condolences to her family and friends.

--------------------

General Awesome (click to show)

Credits & Misc. (click to show)
+Quote Post

Darth Krytie
post Jul 2 2020, 10:57 PM
Post #15

This one does not have time for your solid waste excretions.
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 22 312

Team Awesomecakes

My deepest and most heartfelt condolences to everyone who knew, cared for, loved Gryphaena. I did not know her well personally, but as a member of our community, she was one of ours, and therefore precious to us.

--------------------

Please use the Help Page and appropriate Help Forum instead of PMing me. Only PM if it's something you need me or an Admin for specifically.
+Quote Post

ThunderMoss
post Jul 2 2020, 11:03 PM
Post #16

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 47 440

Active Squad

I had only a few interactions with Gryph on Discord. These exchanges and others I observed always made me happier and a better person. I will remember this long after this great sadness fades.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Doot
post Jul 2 2020, 11:21 PM
Post #17

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 45 078

Active Squad

I only had a handful of interactions with Gryph, but I remember well that she and I helped each other bring our spirits up a few times in the Discord. She was one of the sweetest folks I met through this community, and was incredibly selfless. A beacon of light and love to us, really.

I hope for peace for her and her family in this time, and when I am back home, I will be lighting a purple candle for them.

You will be missed, dear Gryphaena.
+Quote Post

The Majestic Mr ...
post Jul 2 2020, 11:33 PM
Post #18

The Green Thunder, Kell of L's, Keeper of Stars
Group Icon

Member No.: 212 177

Exuberant

I'm not great with these sorts of things, but...
I admit I have been away from GPX+ for a decent amount of time, though I am incredibly active on the Discord and while I also admit I did not talk much with Gryph, she was genuinely a kind, caring person and such a vibrant soul. This year has been one of the hardest on myself and so many others personally, on top of everything going on in the world right now, and it still doesn't feel real losing such a well-known member of our community.
I have nothing but the deepest of sorrow and give my thoughts and prayers to her family. She was there for me when my mom passed away just this January. It's only right I return the favor.
Please take care of yourselves, this has been such an incredibly awful year and no one deserves to have to go through what Gryph's family undoubtedly is.
Peace and love.

--------------------

Light is a spectrum. Why limit yourself to a single hue?

Nintendo 3DS FC: 1950-9577-7656
Switch FC: Mr. L: 5429-0347-5697

PM me if you want to add me. happy.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. L banner made by Luigi Mario
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I'M REALLY FEELING IT!
+Quote Post

Mystickatt
post Jul 3 2020, 02:16 AM
Post #19

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 100 541

Active Squad

Though I never interacted with them, my condolences go out to everyone affected. I feel the loss even though it's someone I never spoke to. It's sad to hear that a member of my community isn't here anymore. Everything I heard was positive and clearly this member of our community was an amazing, beautiful person.

Thank you for announcing this, and again my thoughts are with the family and friends who are affected.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Zero Gravity
post Jul 3 2020, 03:10 AM
Post #20

Chosen one of Lightning
Group Icon

Member No.: 85 007

Thunder Team

I never met this person nor have I talked, or had a PM interaction with her. But I am aware of them to a very small degree. No life should leave this world too soon. Maybe it's coincidence I recently donated to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, but I will not hesitate to donate to it again right now just for her.

I hope she's resting well.

--------------------

[color="#FFFF00"][/color]
+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:04 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.