Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Compoundeyes and Chansey
Lord Raven
post Jun 6 2009, 08:41 PM
Post #1

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

Compoundeyes is an ability that means that if the Pokemon in the lead of the party has this ability, the chance of finding an item attached to a wild Pokemon is doubled.

So, if I go up against a Bibarel, the chance of finding an Oran Berry attached is doubled, right?

Great. Now, I want to utilise this to get a Lucky Egg from a Chansey.

However...according to other sites, Chansey has a 50% chance of holding an Oval Stone and a 5% chance of holding a Lucky Egg.

So if you double those, that means that 100% of Chansey will hold Oval Stone while only 10% will hold a Lucky...Egg...

Hang on - 100% of Chansey hold an Oval Stone? If every single Chansey I encounter will hold an Oval Stone, what of the 10%? Do you see my problem? If ALL Chanseys are holding Oval Stone, there's no room for the Lucky Egg-wielding ones.

Is this assumption correct? Or am I being silly? Is there still a chance I'll find a Lucky Egg Chansey?

Thanks for your help~

This is from a friend. How does this work, exactly?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Gati
post Jun 6 2009, 09:00 PM
Post #2

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2 056

Active Squad

Interesting... I searched it a bit and found the following question; "For wild pokemon with more than one possible held item, does compoundeyes also increase the odds of the item being rare?" Someone else answered; "No, just increases the possibility of each item to be held."

So maybe the chances of finding an item held by a Pokémon just increases, meaning that you will still catch a Chansey with either item but an Oval Stone is more likely to appear than a Lucky Egg.
Hope this helps.

--------------------
[spoiler=GTS+PL Badges][align=center] [/spoiler][/align]
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Jun 6 2009, 09:23 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Active Squad

To be honest, that doesn't even hit the precision I want/need for the question to be answered. Did you even read the predicament? Oval Stones are in 50% of all Chanseys, and Compoundeyes doubles this. So now it's 100%. But Lucky Egg is held 5% of the time, so what of the 10% chance of getting a Lucky Egg?

My theory, and this probably helps just as much as your comment, is that it happens 10/11 times for the Oval Stone and 1/11 for the Lucky Egg. But the details are very sketchy.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Gati
post Jun 6 2009, 09:41 PM
Post #4

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Active Squad

Hmm... Maybe nothing will help and it might be more confusing if someone (like me) tries to explain. And I did read all of it.

But I think this percentage thing is the one that is confusing. I think of it like attacks, many attacks have 100% accuracy but that doesn't mean that the attack will always hit... I don't know is hard to explain shakefist.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Jun 6 2009, 10:30 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Active Squad

In RSE onwards, it will always hit if it's 100% accuracy.

In GSC/RBY, there was a glitch that gave it a 1/255 (or 256? it rounds off to 99.6% accuracy) chance of missing, and I believe that's what you're referring to.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Gati
post Jun 6 2009, 10:44 PM
Post #6

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Active Squad

Oh dumblook.gif Sorry about that, didn't know about that glitch, no wonder some missed irritated.gif and third gen. is my weakest gen.

Now about the ability, is a freaking mystery... Have you tried catching a or some Chanseys with the "Compoundeyes" ability... I want to see for myself now with this damn ability, I'll try it myself and see what happens.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Tuketi
post Jun 6 2009, 10:48 PM
Post #7

Stantler Aficionado
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 17 564

yussssss!

I understand your problem, but I can confirm that they can still have a Lucky Egg even with Compoundeyes. I think, like you said, it turns into something like 1/11... I guess you can't think of the numbers as literally as they seem, or something.
+Quote Post

Dar Ksereth
post Jun 7 2009, 01:32 AM
Post #8

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 3 614

My favorite party

i believe that the chances of a pokemon holding the item becomes 110%, and then it runs another formula based on the 10 to 1 ratio to determine which of the 2 items will be held.

i dunno if that's correct, since i just made that up, but seems logical

This post has been edited by Dar Ksereth: Jun 7 2009, 01:36 AM

--------------------
The One and Only

Viral

you are compelled to poke them.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:43 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.