Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Are Pokemon Games Becoming too Easy?
Are the newer games too easy?
Newer Games Too Easy?
No [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Maybe [ 1 ]  [25.00%]
I don't care [ 1 ]  [25.00%]
Double yes [ 2 ]  [50.00%]
Total Votes: 4
Guests cannot vote 

Grimwood
post Apr 12 2018, 07:50 PM
Post #1

Forest Monster
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 143 517

Minions

I know this may seem like a touchy little topic but it's a legitimate question.
To be quite honest, I personally think that they are. Now, before you scream at me, allow me to explain my reasoning.
WARNING! Semi-rant!
1.) Shinies are becoming easier to obtain with each passing generation. You can look this up yourself (I might update with a couple of links later on), but from what I've seen, it's true. There's even some methods out there to make it even easier...

2.) Your rival isn't really much of a rival. Now granted I've only played Platinum, Black, and Y versions, but from what I've seen (and heard) your rival doesn't pose much of a challenge to you anymore. I've also heard that your rival picks the weaker typed starter pokemon in Sun/Moon (not sure if it's true but thought I'd just throw it out there).

3.) The elite four and champion aren't super hard anymore. Now this only applies to my experience playing Pokemon Y but, I believe my pokemon were around level 50-60ish when I first challenged the elite four. Now, sure I had to use two or three heals and had some type advantages but it was oddly... easy. In Pokemon Black it took me over ten tries just to beat N (granted I was a kid, but still) and the elite four weren't super easy to beat either.

4.)No pokemon center around? No problem! This random stranger will heal them for you so you don't have to struggle through the level. Although, there have been more pokemon centers added with each passing generation.

5.) Many of the puzzles are pretty diddily darn easy. I remember nearly going bald at the Distortion World stage of Pokemon Platinum. On my second run through, it was really easy since I knew what to do and where to go. But the first time I spent maybe an hour and a half, maybe two hours trying to figure out what was going on and what to do. The crazy world layout didn't help either. The newer generations have had somewhat easier puzzles (I'm not talking about the Regi. puzzle with the braille though, that's insane. Just, no, it's hard from what I've heard).

Anyways~ that's it for my semi-rant but feel free to comment below and tell me what you think! No rude comments please and only try to post things relevant to the topic.

--------------------
I might look scary, but I'm just a fluffy ball of sunshine~
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

PeeGirl
post May 3 2018, 08:57 AM
Post #2

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 242 063

Active Squad

I think growing up is a large part of this - it's only natural to get better at things like team composition and strategy the more of the games you play. I remember as a little kid trying my hardest to beat Brock with a team of Pikachu and Pidgey, being stuck for days because I didn't realize it was just a really bad team to fight him with. If I'd started with the more recent games I probably would have gotten similarly stuck on Totem Raticate or whatever.
Of course, parts of it have gotten objectively easier, but most of that is really just to make the games more widely accessible for a larger audience which isn't a bad thing by any means.

That all said, they're really only as easy as you make them. A lot of the people complaining about the difficulty seem to use teams of top-tier Pokémon with perfect IVs and whatnot; of course the games are easier at that point. If you really want a higher difficulty, set your own challenges. Maybe try using a team of less than 6 Pokémon, or only unevolved ones, or a mono-type team, or don't use any items, for just a few examples.
+Quote Post

DJ Majja Kool
post May 7 2018, 04:33 PM
Post #3

Hungry hungry Hippowdons
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 29 051

Hi.

Like the above poster said, I think experience is a large factor. Not just in Pokemon, but with any game. In general, the more you play, the more familiar you are with the battle system, the kinds of puzzles you can expect, item and attack effects, etc.

I was one of the people that had a really tough time with Whitney's Miltank in GSC. I didn't have as tough a time in HGSS, but I don't think that's because HGSS are easier games. I actually think they'd be more difficult mainly because movesets have improved since there's more moves available, and there's now abilities to take into account too (ex: Bugsy now has U-turn instead of Fury Cutter, and Whitney's Miltank has Scrappy IIRC so the Ghost immunity to Normal doesn't apply).

The reason I had an easier time with Whitney in HGSS is because I had an actual strategy this time. Up until Emerald, I only used my starter and tried to get through the game by just attacking everything until they ran out of HP. This time, I had Flaaffy severely weaken Miltank by using Growl to lower its Attack until it couldn't be lowered anymore, and then paralyzing it so it couldn't get Stomp first and flinch (twice, because her Miltank has a Lum Berry). Only after that did I attack it.

There are definitely aspects of the series that have gotten more convenient, but I don't necessarily think difficulty has to come from inconvenience. Having NPCs heal your Pokemon or more Pokemon Centers available doesn't make the game significantly easier, I think. It just saves time to go back and heal, which is something I would've done anyway because I like to be at full health when battling trainers. Having it take longer to go back wouldn't make the game more challenging, as there's no challenge in walking an extra 5-10 minutes. It would just take more time to do.

Your post doesn't mention this, but a lot of people also dislike the new EXP Share (which isn't really new because Gen 1's EXP All functioned this way too). I can understand it from an EV perspective because if you're EV training, you want to focus on one Pokemon at a time since all of them will have different desired EV distributions. But even then, you have the option of turning it off. From a non-EV standpoint, it just saves time on level grinding. As someone who doesn't enjoy level grinding, I prefer the Gen 1 EXP All and Gen 6-7 EXP Share over the Gen 2-5 EXP Share.

It's true that Hau picks the starter weak to yours, which I agree is objectively easier than most previous rivals, though I thought it was an interesting twist because it means this time we're the rival that someone wants to surpass. But the Champion in SM, who I won't spoil even though I realize it's been a year and a half, uses the starter strong against yours, and Gladion's Silvally uses a Memory that makes its type super effective against your starter as well.

Regarding the recent Champions not being as difficult, SM's was actually pretty difficult for me, only behind Cynthia. USUM's wasn't as much but still kept me on my toes. Although there's an objective element of difficulty (a rival using a starter weak to yours would usually be easier than one using a starter strong against yours, provided you keep your starter on your team), there's also a subjective element of difficulty as well like how your team matches up to the opponent's. There are 807 Pokemon and there are a lot of party combinations. Everyone will have a different experience.

Some of the boss battles in USUM I also found to be among the most difficult in the series, especially Ultra Necrozma. And this is even with EXP Share along with the benefits of Pokemon Refresh.

I actually don't mind if the games are becoming easier, though, because I don't play for difficulty and I wouldn't particularly enjoy being stuck at the same enemy over and over and not being able to progress to see what happens next. I play games for fun, and frustration for me isn't fun. I realize I'm in the minority in not caring for difficulty, though. Most people do enjoy a challenge.

--------------------
+Quote Post

ghostish
post May 20 2018, 11:23 AM
Post #4

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 254 238

Active Squad

YES ugh. I wish the devs would quit adding gimmicky features like mega-evs and z-moves and just..... make a story that's actually good. And difficult AT ALL. Like personally the difficulty of the battles, while way too easy, isn't the thing that bothers me. The story is boring! I know exactly where to go next and how to get there and it's uninteresting and immature and I'm very frustrated with it.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th September 2018 - 02:54 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2018 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.