Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Fifth Generation Starters::, What do you think?
Xerth
post Oct 21 2009, 05:51 AM
Post #1

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 3 616

Omega Team

Fifth Generation Starters

This is a thread for us to discuss what we assume or predict the most accurate of choices for the fifth generation starters. Based on past references.

1st Gen
  • Bulbasaur- (Plant) - [seed]
  • Charmander (Reptile) - [lizard]
  • Squirtle (Amphibian-Reptile?) [turtle]
2nd Gen
  • Chikorita- (Plant) - [leaf]
  • Cyndiqull (Rodent) - [mouse/rat]
  • Totodile (Amphibian-Reptile?) [alligator/crocodile]
3rd Gen
  • Treecko- (Reptile) - [gecko/lizard]
  • Torchick (Avian) - [chicken]
  • Mudkip (Amphibian) [walking fish]
4th Gen
  • Turtwig- (Reptile) - [turtle]
  • Chimchar (Mammal) - [monkey]
  • Piplup (Avian) [penguin]
As more along the lines they get down, they are getting less creative to basic animals with elements. So here is my assumption of the 5th gen!

5th Gen
  • Grass - (Avian) - [Bird]
  • Fire (Mammal) - [Dog]
  • Water (Mineral) [Some type of underwater rock/something or jellyfish]

The bird has yet to be seen as a grass, and a fire dog has been done numerous times, but it is what came to my mind first. As for the mineral water starter, it just felt right!
Their finals would be.

Grass/Flying
Fire/Fight
Water/Rock

Fire<--weak against<--Grass-->strong against-->Water
Water<--weak against<--Fire-->strong against-->Grass
Grass<--weak against<--Water-->strong against-->Fire

Rock<--weak against<--Flying-->strong against-->Fight
Flying<--weak against<--Fight-->strong against-->Rock
Fight<--weak against<--Rock-->strong against-->Flying

Which would even out. But as for a mineral Water starter, what on earth would they make? Maybe they would go crazy and make a snorunt kind of Pokemon, that doesnt really make sense. Or a totum pole Pokemon i unno. Your thoughts? grin.gif

This post has been edited by Xerth: Oct 21 2009, 05:55 AM

--------------------

Crimson Caribbean RPG
Coming to a forum near you!

Contact me via PM if your interested in helping out!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Koneko Midoria
post Oct 21 2009, 06:26 AM
Post #2

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 67 924

Main Battle Team

5th Generation?

Seriously, they're going to make one?

:l

I dunno.
Arceus, brought out in the 4th, is like the creator of all Pokemon.
If they're going to add on after that, I dunno -- it'd just ruin it for me.

I think they have enough Pokemon, personally.
I hope they don't go for a 5th generation, if they do --
ugh, there's so many to begin with, it'll just be like bad movie sequels.

Interesting ideas though.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Izzy
post Oct 21 2009, 06:34 AM
Post #3

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 55 681

Active Squad

Good prediction, good ideas, but I really would rather not see a third Fire/Fighting starter in a row. Also, aren't Chikorita and Bulbasaur reptiles as well?

One more thing, I don't understand what you mean by a water 'mineral'. Do you mean something from the egg group or something?

--------------------
Yeah, Please Ignore This For Now... (click to show)

^ Leads To My Party! ^

totodile.gif totodile.gif I Claim Totodile! Yay! totodile.gif totodile.gif
Fear It's Toto-Awesomeness!
+Quote Post

Xerth
post Oct 21 2009, 06:48 AM
Post #4

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Omega Team

I meant like rock/ground, kinda like the egg group.

But I as well hope they don't make a 5th Gen, it really would ruin it, but I have heard speculations.

Now what they honestly should do, is put all the regions into one game. that would be epicness.

--------------------

Crimson Caribbean RPG

+Quote Post

Koneko Midoria
post Oct 21 2009, 07:23 AM
Post #5

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 67 924

Main Battle Team

Based off of your choices.
Since I tried to pick my own and just got frustrated with the results.

Grass / Flying [ A bird or dragon-ish type ]
Water / Rock [ Possibly an otter, frog, or some other partial water dwelling creature ]
Fire / Fighting [ Possibly a dog, cat, fox, or even dragon-ish as well ]

Granted I don't want to see another fire / fight starter.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Elito
post Oct 21 2009, 08:29 AM
Post #6

My life's a theater.
Group Icon

Member No.: 50 181

MonoPoison

Yeah they are going to make 5th generation and im happy cause of it...

i dont think another fire/fighting starter would be so good....and another fire dog? no....i think it would be better with some fire cat as a starter...you know....a little sweet kitty that grows up into a mighty puma or lion or something....as for grass...i would like to see a rabbit...grass type rabbit would be great...with grass instead of its fur...or something between grass and fur... cat.gif

as for the water type...i think water rock is not so original....i mean..mineral? dumblook.gif and i dont think it is going to be jellyfish either, cause we already have tentacool and tentacruel (but they maybe make tentacute however happy.gif ), i would rather say something like chikorita or treecko - not some animal or something...just something random..it would be good to have some random water type....

i would like to see:

Grass/Ground - as a grass type starter...i already said, rabbit with grass instead its fur would be epic...
Fire (i dont know, should they even have second type?if so, maybe something like steel) - i would prefer cat as a fire starter...
Water/ (Steel-Fighting) - we never saw Water/Fighting type....and steel would also maybe be a good choice....

--------------------

x
+Quote Post

Xerth
post Oct 21 2009, 08:48 AM
Post #7

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Omega Team

Yeah but they already made a Steel type for Empoleon.

And maybe for a legend they would make like a complete opposite of Arceus.

--------------------

Crimson Caribbean RPG

+Quote Post

Kazyx
post Oct 21 2009, 09:18 AM
Post #8

Veteran Kaz would like to battle!
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 1 227

ElecPsy Team

I forgot you were registered here, Xerth. >.<

Interesting thoughts, all of you. I may have to throw in my two cents.

Grass/Rock
-This would be an interesting typing for a starter, and is only carried by the Lileep family, to this date. I've always loved the Lileep line, since they are more bulky than its fossil counterpart, Anorith.
-Something that could be based around this typing could be a stone- and moss-covered lizard, perhaps an iguana or something similar.

Fire/Steel
-This type, only carried by the legendary Pokemon Heatran, may seem like an obvious danger if there were to be a Ground-based gym or E4. But carrying the Steel type, one can prevent a number or attacks from doing as much as as they would have previously done to Fire, with the little setback of a x4 Ground and an added x2 Fighting weakness.
-This Pokemon could be a salamander, which would start on two legs, then go to four legs due to its gained weight as a Steel type.

Water/Ground or Water/Bug
-There have been a few bulky water types with the Water/Ground combination, including a Gen 3 starter. This choice of a typing may not be the best, since it has been used a few times by the series, having had 4 notable Water/Ground Pokemon.
-Instead, a Water/Bug, used by only Surskit, which turns into a Bug/Flying when it evolves, seems like an interesting type combo that they could work off of. Whether they would add a Bug typing to any starter is beyond me, but it would certainly make things interesting.
-A notable bug that could be a starter would be the backswimmer.

--------------------
Click one of the images below to be directed to my profile on the shown website

+Quote Post

Xerth
post Oct 21 2009, 01:22 PM
Post #9

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Omega Team

Yeah but if they were those subtypes then they would all be considered minerals. We need something consistent like Reptile/Avian/Amphibian

And nice to see u to kaz.

--------------------

Crimson Caribbean RPG

+Quote Post

Kazyx
post Oct 21 2009, 02:50 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

ElecPsy Team

QUOTE(Xerth @ Oct 21 2009, 02:22 PM) *
Yeah but if they were those subtypes then they would all be considered minerals. We need something consistent like Reptile/Avian/Amphibian

It wouldn't necessarily be required to be a mineral. Is Heatran a mineral? Looks more like a toad to me.

My point is even if it's a subtype, it isn't FORCED to be a mineral.
The only reason Lileep is part Rock is because it is a fossil Pokemon. Other than that, I see it as either a pure Grass type or a Grass/Water, since its design is based off of a water reed of sorts from the prehistoric times.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Xerth
post Oct 21 2009, 03:09 PM
Post #11

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Omega Team

QUOTE(The Cheshire Kaz @ Oct 21 2009, 02:50 PM) *
QUOTE(Xerth @ Oct 21 2009, 02:22 PM) *

It wouldn't necessarily be required to be a mineral. Is Heatran a mineral? Looks more like a toad to me.

My point is even if it's a subtype, it isn't FORCED to be a mineral.
The only reason Lileep is part Rock is because it is a fossil Pokemon. Other than that, I see it as either a pure Grass type or a Grass/Water, since its design is based off of a water reed of sorts from the prehistoric times.

True true, i Just don't think it would be. I hope they don't make another gen but if they do. It would be cool if they made a grass/bird. fire/turtle. water/dog. hahaha random yes, but I just don't think a fire/steel is so believable. watch nintendo prove me wrong.

and yes I know Heatran is Fire/Steel

--------------------

Crimson Caribbean RPG

+Quote Post

Master Houndoom
post Oct 21 2009, 03:41 PM
Post #12

Team Rogue: Houndoom
Group Icon

Member No.: 804

Uprising Mod

There's actually several type combos that haven't been explored with the starters yet. Here is what I'd like to see:

Grass/??: Grass/Flying has only been seen in one humongous pokemon, it'd be nice to see something other than a reptile in the grass starter (to date, all four have been based on reptiles or amphibians: Bulbasaur as a frog/toad, Chikorita as a proto-brontosaur, Treecko as a gecko, and Turtwig as a tortoise.) The grass-type hare is a very cute and interesting idea, but I think if they went grass/rock, they could use a goat or ram.

Fire/??: I like both fire/fighters, with blaziken edging out infernape only because I keep thinking of Dragonball Z when I raise an infernape (all of my chimchars have been named after a saiyan in DBZ to date). I'd love to see a Fire/Dark, or a fire/psychic. I don't think either of those have been seen before at all. Fire/Steel is an interesting combo. As for the creature, a cat of some kind is a good idea, and I've seen on interpretation that had a pig. Personally, I'd like to see a more docile creature as a fire type again, like a rabbit or a chipmunk.

Water/??: I can't think of one combo that hasn't been done with water now, except ghost. I'm not sure a water/ghost is a good idea, or even ghost at all as a starter type, but that is a possibility. For ghost, it would almost have to be a cat or an ocelot. There has yet to be a starter insectoid, if memory serves, but there's only so much you can do with insects. Possibly a serpent.

Should a fifth generation be done? I think so. I said when I heard about the fourth generation that it was getting played out, and that turned out to be my favorite version.More than what I think, though, I imagine there will be one, since it's a high grossing game that Nintendo can count on to sell when a new console comes out. I don't think one will happen until the new handheld (if there is one) is released.

--------------------
[align=center]Uprising Mod

||
Jaima Kuonji and Meiko Omura||Branwys Muphenz
[spoiler=Jaima's Gym Badges][/spoiler]
PANE

||
Jay Lange||Olivia Prewitt
Uprising

As of January 29, 2010, at approximately 7:50am CST, 2gamers helped me complete my pokedex!

:houndoom: I claim Houndoom! :houndoom: [/align]
+Quote Post

mstymay
post Oct 21 2009, 05:21 PM
Post #13

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 68 286

Squirtle Squad

It would be interesting if they did new type starters
Like Psychic, normal, and ghost or something
Also It would be interesting if you could pick out of like 3 cats, 3 dogs, or something, Like you can pick a catagory of pokemon you want because by now they musst have a vast amount of starters in the lab! XD

--------------------

Credits (click to show)
+Quote Post

MattyWilliams
post Oct 30 2009, 11:09 PM
Post #14

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 14 184

Current Team

Personally, I'd love to see them go back to single-element starters. Not to say Charizard fit that category, but still.

It's safe to assume the grass type will be yet another reptile/amphibian
So what we can take from that, is no frogs/toads, nothing with a flower on its back, nothing with a petal mane, no geckos, and no turtles. It couldn't be a snake, since there's no room for three levels. Alligators are crossed off too, after being a water starter. Shouldn't be a salamander, since they're water-dwellers, aligned with fire, and really, there's Charmander and Wooper already.
This leaves me thinking komodo or iguana. Something like this still adds a plant feel? grin.gif Really a grass-type dragon would be interesting.

Water hasn't had a clear pattern, since it only changed from reptile/amphibian to fowl in the latest set. It wouldn't be a fish, though, since starters all seem to be perfectly capable of living on land. :| But I dunno I'm lost here.

Fire's been different every time, so it could be anything. But it won't be a lizard, rodent, bird, or primate. On the other hand, nothing's saying it won't be a mammal. If dogs are overused, then... What stops it from being some sort of cat?

I dunno. Just my pathetic little guesses.

--------------------
Help me out?

I don't check GPX often enough. Catch me over on aim, flamesofjashin, if you need me to click back~
+Quote Post

PokeJess
post Nov 1 2009, 12:58 AM
Post #15

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 63 882

VV Random Pokemon VV

Well....it probably will not look anything like this but I thought this would make a great starter, after a few problems were worked out. Something that looked like a boy that can be mistook for a girl (or vice versa) but animal like too. however I think it needs a bit more animal. (sorry for the 2min ms paint drawing, didn't feel like makeing it fancy~). Also, a cat, cat/dragon, dragon-ish, or hampster/weasle like starter would be awsome for any type. (hampster/weasle can't be fire, to muck like typhlosins.) As for extra types, I haven't thought too much about that, but psychic or dragon sounds cool...

--------------------

Mew~

Siggy and Avi under construction...again...

Click? ^-^
Randomness and Thoughts~ (click to show)

Want: shiny male pk w/ cute charm (in platnum or ss when it comes out)
Adopted stuff~ (click to show)

+Quote Post

torpidEccentric
post Nov 1 2009, 01:43 AM
Post #16

(っ°Д°)っ
Group Icon

Member No.: 1 997

Helios Conference

If we take the time to look at what has happened recently with Pokémon, there is a foreshadow on a 5th generation. In a diagram of sorts, we see this after the 3rd Gen.

Main game -> Remake of Gen <-> Expanded Main -> New Gen

In the current plot, we've gone from R/S to FR/LG to E to D/P to Pl and now HG/SS. So next in line, assuming the pattern of games stays somewhat consistent is a new generation of Pokémon with around 100+ new Pokémon. On top of that, there are still a couple of sections of Japan they can still use for a newer region.

Of course this is assuming we don't see a new Spin-off game that isn't Mystery Dungeon.

-----------------

Onto the actual starters, The grass types have always been some sort of reptile, and from what I can guess, we might have a four legged animal since the pattern's been 4, 4, 2, 4 so we can possibly rule in a 4 legged reptilian creature for the grass type. Typing might depend on the animal it is based on.

Fire types have been inconsistent so all's fair in this section.

And the Water type has been all amphibious excluding Piplup and they can all live on both land and water. Typing might be random considering Empoleon's existance as a unique Water/Steel type.

--------------------

Credits here (click to show)

+Quote Post

marioman11
post Nov 1 2009, 02:11 AM
Post #17

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 38 113

Active Squad

5th gen starters huh? Well It's kind of obvious this is going to happen. If they continue to make more money, they WILL make more gens.

Personally, I'd like to see a starter triangle that's not grass/fire/water. A different starter triangle should be very interesting though the only one that come to my mind if fighting/psychic/dark. I'd like to see starters based on those types instead of the usual. However, I doubt that'll happen any time soon so I'll be more realistic.

I guess the final stages for each one could be like this, add the fight/psy/dark triangle into this.
Grass/Dark
Fire/Psychic
Water/Fight

So each type has an advantage for each starter. Not bad huh?

For what the starters should be based off of, I got no clue. It could be anything.

This post has been edited by marioman11: Nov 1 2009, 02:18 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Kazyx
post Nov 1 2009, 12:02 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

ElecPsy Team

If you want to think of other type triangles, there are a few, though some seem rather silly.

Here they are:
Rock/Fighting/Flying
Fire/Rock/Steel
Grass/Poison/Ground

Psychic/Dark/Fighting would not work for one primary reason.
Rock/Paper/Scissors does not work for it.

Dark is completely immune to Psychic attacks, which ruins the effect of "Not Very Effective" on the type that is good against it. This would cause problems for the Psychic starter, as it wouldn't have a reliable STAB power to injure its rival unless it got Miracle Eye.

Now, an interesting starter group would be the Rock/Fighting/Flying for the sake that, they may have been used as secondary typings on starters save for Rock, but on their own as a whole new Pokemon would be quite interesting.
Though, of course, the other triangles that are not the commonly-used Grass/Fire/Water are just coincidences, while the elements of Fire and Water are well known, and Wood is another element, which could represent Grass.

Now, looking at The Cave of Dragonflies, I saw something that spoke if they had a Starter Square. The only Starter "square" people could probably think of is the incident of Pokemon Yellow, which you were forced to use Pikachu, and you were able to get all the Red and Blue starters as teammates in that game.

To the Starter Squares, there are a few. They are:

Fire/Bug/Grass/Water
Fire/Grass/Ground/Rock
Rock/Flying/Grass/Ground

Now, I doubt a Starter Square would ever happen, but it would certainly be an interesting twist on the games if this were to occur.
I'd end up picking up the Bug Starter, since all starter final range in power from 530 to 550 or around there, somewhere.
Imagine a Bug type with 535-540 in a Base Stat Total?
If it were pure bug, it would only be weak to Rock, Fire and Flying. This is compared to the other starters of that square, who have Water, Ground and Rock (Fire weaknesses), Flying, Ice, Poison, Fire and Bug (Grass weaknesses), and Grass and Electric (Water weaknesses).
Water starters, since Gen 3, have had dual-types. Grass starters have had dual types in Gens 1 and 4, and Fire has been dual typed in all gens except for Gen 2.
Bug types, commonly connected with the Flying type, since so many bugs have wings, would weaken such a magnificent type too much. If GF did this they would be foolish. They have taken a dump on Grass and Bug types too much. But a Starter Square could possibly change the outlook on Bug types.
For those who don't know, Bug is good against Psychic, Dark and Grass. Let's look at these types.

Current combinations of these three types include the Grass/Dark Nuzleaf,Shiftry and Cacturne, and the Grass/Psychic Exeggcute, Exeggutor, and Celebi.

Not many Pokemon, but if you look out there, there are a LOT of Grass types, a number of Psychic types, and a few decent Dark types. All of these could fear the possible Bug starter.

And, I'll stop ranting on about the Bug starter, since I doubt it'll ever happen. But it would be neat to see. >.<

--------------------

+Quote Post

Elito
post Nov 1 2009, 12:34 PM
Post #19

My life's a theater.
Group Icon

Member No.: 50 181

MonoPoison

I think there won't be any Psychic, Ghost or Dark type of starter, cause, you know why... confused.gif

Well, I would really like to see Water/Fighting combination and that Fire Cat, as for Grass type, I already said, something like Hedgehog...its not reptilian, so that would make it good... also type that hasn't yet been with grass is Ground which is really strange... so Grass/Ground would be good....

I wouldn't like to see another Grass/Poison type, but I would like to see one cute Poison type... ^_^.gif

As for Fire, steel would probably be the best...or maybe something like Rock or even Poison...poison has never been fused with fire type.... ^_^.gif

--------------------

x
+Quote Post

Kazyx
post Nov 1 2009, 05:40 PM
Post #20

Group Icon

ElecPsy Team

QUOTE(Eliot Kovach @ Nov 1 2009, 12:34 PM) *
I think there won't be any Psychic, Ghost or Dark type of starter, cause, you know why... confused.gif

They could be dual-typed. You never know though. I never expected a Water/Steel starter to exist, but Empoleon proves me wrong there.

Well, I would really like to see Water/Fighting combination and that Fire Cat, as for Grass type, I already said, something like Hedgehog...its not reptilian, so that would make it good... also type that hasn't yet been with grass is Ground which is really strange... so Grass/Ground would be good....

Water/Fighting, done only by Poliwrath if memory is correct, would be an interesting starter combination. Only starters with Fighting as a secondary typing are Gens 3 and 4 Fire starters.
Grass/Ground, eh?
Torterra waves hello to you. it wants to let you know it dies from a single Ice Fang from a Gyarados roughly the same level.

I wouldn't like to see another Grass/Poison type, but I would like to see one cute Poison type... ^_^.gif

Cute Poison type?
Venomoth is alright when it comes to Poison types. Ekans is pretty cute as well.

As for Fire, steel would probably be the best...or maybe something like Rock or even Poison...poison has never been fused with fire type.... ^_^.gif

Fire/Rock, Fire/Steel, and Fire/Poison have x4 Ground weaknesses each time, which can be disastrous to a Starter. Ground is a common move, which is why it would fail. As why Torterra is rarely picked due to the fear of a fairly common type; Ice.

---------

But yes, interesting type combinations for a group of starters I believe would be something along these lines:
Grass/Rock, Water/Fighting, Fire/Flying

They are fairly even against one another, going like this:
Grass > Water > Fire > Grass
Rock < Fighting < Flying < Rock

The Water starter could be evenly matched with both the Fire Starter and the Grass Starter. Water against Fire and Fighting against Rock.

Or you could have other combinations like:
Grass/Fighting, Water/Flying, Fire/Rock

Type have been done on previous Pokemon such as Breloom, Pelipper/Mantine/Gyarados, and Magcargo.

The final group that would be logical from those six types would be Grass/Flying, Water/Rock, Fire/Fighting.
I refuse this one, for it would be the third gen in a row to have a Fire/Fighting. Not only that, but Grass is ruined with a x4 ice weakness for the second generation in a row. And then Water is stuck with a weakness to Grassx4, Electricx2, Fightingx2 and Steelx2 if memory serves right. Gastrodon could probably be in better shape than this typing, being only x4 weak to Grass with no other notable weaknesses.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:37 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.