Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
36 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Evolution or God?, Something every Forum should have...
Lord Raven
post Aug 19 2008, 08:56 PM
Post #41

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

you can't think that all people that are for evolution are stupid. i have read the bible, ON SEVERAL occasions,
but no matter how many times i read it, i still call it the biggest bullshit book i have ever read. OYU are the ignorant one, refusing to look at how evolution is the right answer to life, because you know that if you gave up your faith in your so-called "god", that you wouldnt have anyone else to blame the events that go on in the world but society itself.
I doubt she's even saying that everyone who believes in evolution is stupid. Although, admittedly, she herself isn't particularly educated when it comes to evolution; as far as I'm aware, humans didn't necessarily evolve from monkeys. We have the same common ancestor according to evolution, and all the species diverged from that one common ancestor. However, our common ancestor with monkeys happens to be closer down the line than most other species.

Either way, it all comes down to one's beliefs. If they wish not to believe evolution for whatever reason, it is their decision to make, not yours. If they wish to believe in God (creationism), then they'll believe in it, and you've no right to dismiss their beliefs and call them ignorant in such a way as you did there. That is considered flamebaiting, and consider this a warning, TQQ. In fact, you should calm down in this thread before you post again, because your tone in this thread hasn't been particularly friendly.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Swordsalmon
post Aug 19 2008, 08:57 PM
Post #42

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 299

Active Squad

QUOTE(the quiet quilava @ Aug 19 2008, 10:34 AM) *
the idea of god is just stupid. and here is my argument for why i say so, before i have a billion people up my ass about it.
where do people get the idea that some man/girl/whatever decides, you know what? i think i am gonna make people today. *poof, snap of the fingers* adam says, "hey man, i need to get laid!" god: "well, lay back, smoke some pot, im gonna take a rib out."

HOW THE FUCK IS A RIB TURNED INTO BONING MATERIAL?

IMO, god doesn't exist.
there is my explaination.

Alright, so you 'disproved' the literal interpetation of the Bible's model of a God. What of the many other religions that center around a God/Gods? Also, what of other beliefs, such as Deism? You claim to disprove one God model, but what of the others? (Sorry for the arrogance)

Anyways, many parts of the Bible (For this debate, we are usually assuming the Christian faith?) have been disproved by scientific reasoning in the literal sense. What about figurative interpetation? Could each of the seven days of creation be millions of years, and the creation itself evolution? Adam desiring a wife could be a represention of mankind's desire for companionship. The rib itself could represent pregnancy and the birth of new life, as the rib is part of the internal body, as a baby comes from the internal body.

I believe that the Bible is to be interpeted figuartively. If taken literally, you're not being realistic in the physical world. A figurative interpetation allows faith and logic to coexist while keeping one's faith, in this one's opinion.

--------------------
I have claimed Kanghaskhan.
+Quote Post

TQQ
post Aug 19 2008, 11:31 PM
Post #43

Justin
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 244

Active Squad

QUOTE(Raven @ Aug 19 2008, 09:56 PM) *
In fact, you should calm down in this thread before you post again, because your tone in this thread hasn't been particularly friendly.

ya....sorry, it is just topics such as this really get into my skin, i spent a year and a half trying to figure out what was right, and the only clausable explaination i could find was evolution.

sorry missy, didn't mean ta snap like that.

and im sorry swordsalmon, i have thought of that previously, in my mind, it still doesnt make sense the more you hink about how things are related.
well, this is my last post in this thread before i end up getting all heated up and raven gives me another warning.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Missy Artichoke
post Aug 20 2008, 10:13 PM
Post #44

Animator by day, Ponyland Overlord by night. Hide your children.
Group Icon

Group: Validating
Member No.: 2 676

Active Squad

No worries, TQQ.

@Shoutai: In fact, the Bible itself commands you to PROVE for yourself all things and to not believe things just 'cause. (1 Thessalonians 5:21, if anyone is interested).

The Bible, as Swordsalmon pointed out, can be interpreted. Furthermore, the Bible interprets the Bible. There is no one word or one term that goes undefined in it. You just gotta look it up for yourself. It is really all there. Like the seven days example you used, Swordsalmon. In fact there IS a scripture in the Bible that states that for God a day is like a thousand years.

Also, the Bible is a compilation of books written throughout history. It was written by several people at different periods in time. For some, this means it has less credibility, I suppose. But I give it 'historical' credibility, as the events in the Bible are confirmed by other ancient cultures. For example, nearly all ancient cultures have a legend or story of the world at some point being covered in water. The Muslim religion acknowledges the existence of Jesus Christ. There are historical records in Egypt of when the Hebrews left for the Exodus. I could go on and on. But that would be off-topic.

Just out of curiosity, does anybody here know the actual Creation theory written in the Bible? (it goes beyond what's written in Genesis).

+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Aug 20 2008, 10:32 PM
Post #45

Group Icon

Active Squad

Oh, Missy Artichoke... I have to refute some points, since I just tapped into my head some more and found some knowledge about evolution haha

Evolution claims that genetic mutations (or changes in DNA structure) are random. They happen at some point, apparently triggered by the environment to increase a certain species' rate of survival.
This is true. I'd advise reading the five principles of natural selection, a subtopic of evolution;

- One of the prime motives for all species is to reproduce and survive, passing on the genetic information of the species from generation to generation. When species do this they tend to produce more offspring than the environment can support.
- The lack of resources to nourish these individuals places pressure on the size of the species population, and the lack of resources means increased competition and as a consequence, some organisms will not survive.
- The organisms who die as a consequence of this competition were not totally random, Darwin found that those organisms more suited to their environment were more likely to survive.
- This resulted in the well known phrase survival of the fittest, where the organisms most suited to their environment had more chance of survival if the species falls upon hard times. (This phrase if often associated with Darwin, though on closer inspection Herbert Spencer puts the phrase in a more accurate historical context.)
- Those organisms who are better suited to their environment exhibit desirable characteristics, which is a consequence of their genome being more suitable to begin with.

Source: http://www.biology-online.org/2/10_natural_selection.htm

Take from that what you will.

Then, if Evolution were true, why are monkeys still here? Wouldn't we be the pinnacle of their evolutionary chain? If we are the evolved versions of them, we are the survivors.
I explained it in an earlier post, but I want to make my post more clear: we didn't evolve from monkeys.

Evolution is the theory that every living organism on earth is derived from a common ancestor. Due to genetic variations, they diverged into our billions of species today. Species diverge after a while, and eventually it turns into two different species; neither are the exact same as the original. The human relation to monkeys is solely on the grounds that our common ancestor with the monkeys was closer down the line than pretty much any other species out there; we didn't necessarily evolve from them.

Does that help you see the basis behind evolution a little bit?

--------------------
+Quote Post

Missy Artichoke
post Aug 20 2008, 10:53 PM
Post #46

Group Icon

Active Squad

I forgot to mention that I didn't exactly meant we evolved directly from monkeys, and I obviously phrased it wrong. Earlier I said that the fact we are in the same family as chimps, gorillas and such made me wonder why we are still here. That is more what I meant but failed to phrase. I understand we don't come from monkeys and it was my mistake to generalize the term 'monkey', when I meant the Hominid family.

Raven, it does help, as a matter of fact. But there are things that still don't make sense to me. This world obviously works on a 'survival' way, I am not denying that. Lions eat antelopes and the slow/sick antelope is going to die. It's the whole 'ancestors' thing that throws me off. What is the purpose of having ancestors, in the first place? Of course, there are very old fossils that exist today and obviously humans weren't around when said creatures were actually alive. But what if humans were created after? Is there a need for us to come from something? (Just to clarify, these 'questions' are more like my own wondering, not necessarily direct questions demanding answers).
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Aug 20 2008, 10:59 PM
Post #47

Group Icon

Active Squad

I think I'm interpreting it right, but I'm not totally sure. I know it doesn't demand answers, but I still have two cents in regards to it.

What is the purpose of having ancestors, in the first place? Of course, there are very old fossils that exist today and obviously humans weren't around when said creatures were actually alive. But what if humans were created after? Is there a need for us to come from something?
There's no purpose. It's tracking our scientific origins, more or less, and also explaining how every species may end up changing through time as well.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Viktoriya1998
post Aug 21 2008, 06:35 AM
Post #48

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 483

SoulSilver Party

Evolution.If god made us,he'd known we'd kill animals and wreck up the planet with global warming.

This post has been edited by Viktoriya1998: Aug 21 2008, 05:11 PM
+Quote Post

Missy Artichoke
post Aug 21 2008, 01:32 PM
Post #49

Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(Raven @ Aug 20 2008, 10:59 PM) *
There's no purpose. It's tracking our scientific origins, more or less, and also explaining how every species may end up changing through time as well.

'Species end up changing through time' is a very broad statement. It can mean that a horse will have spotted offspring, or it can mean that whales changed into horses.

Change within a species is undeniable, but evolution does not provide with an answer of how a new species is born (let alone how the first living organism came into being). If it is to be based on science, then we take said changes as DNA mutations which happen to be loss of information, copying mistakes. Every time said changes occur, there is a visible change, which may or may not help the creature survive, but no new information is added into the DNA. Therefore an organism with a specific DNA will mutate and change over time but it will not gain new DNA information to produce wings, lungs, hooves and so forth (this, assuming said organism does not have these qualities already, of course). So, if we follow these mutations through time, eventually there won't be enough information to give the species a change and it will lead to extinction, not to evolution.

This post has been edited by Missy Artichoke: Aug 21 2008, 01:34 PM
+Quote Post

pokepurist
post Aug 21 2008, 04:56 PM
Post #50

Pokemon Raiser
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 692

Active Squad

I think god made everything and chose which ones would evolve into what, eventually guiding monkeys to humans etc.

--------------------
If a torterra falls in the forest, but no one can hear it, will it make a noise?
+Quote Post

DethSlayr
post Aug 22 2008, 08:06 AM
Post #51

The guitar hero playing, pokemon catching, zombie shooting dude.
Group Icon

Member No.: 152

Elite 6??? Lolwut!?

I believe in God, and that he created us. No matter how you look at it really, I can still connect it with him. Like if we did evolve from monkeys... then who put the monkeys there in the first place?? God. So basically, my opinion is god has always been here, and he is the creator.

--------------------
My Shinies And Trainer Card (click to show)

CLAIMED nom.gif -----------------------------
+Quote Post

Carmani
post Sep 29 2008, 08:22 PM
Post #52

The GTS+PL Electric Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 947

Active Squad

I have no religion.

I believe in chaos.

Just a theory. Because it works with me, so it's my reality..

There's a God...

There's a lot of Gods...

But just because u, me, us... Keep believing.
+Quote Post

Crystal Phoenix
post Oct 3 2008, 08:33 PM
Post #53

Dragon-, Grass-, and Ghost-type lover
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 984

Active Squad

I believe God made the Big Bang happen and gave Earth life. The life then evolved in to humans, therefore, God created humans.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Filipe Couto
post Oct 12 2008, 11:09 AM
Post #54

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 3 028

Active Squad

i think it is theory beacause the«ey ara pokemon that are more stronger then the evolutions but its diferent cases in all pokemon.
+Quote Post

ShivasDisciple
post Oct 12 2008, 11:21 AM
Post #55

ShivasDisciple
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 277

Venomous Gym Team

I think that the big bang didn't just happen the particles were made by god then he chose what species would evolve and created all the others as well.....

--------------------
shuckle.gif CLAIMED shuckle.gif

Badges

+Quote Post

TTD
post Oct 12 2008, 11:42 AM
Post #56

In reverence, she shall speak my name.
Group Icon

From: Relegated to the obsidian of freezing celestial bodies.
Member No.: 2 480

Sorrowful Frost

My father is a paster for a deaf church. I just go along with what he says is true. I am Christian by the way.

This post has been edited by Inu Ryu: Oct 12 2008, 11:43 AM

--------------------
Credits! (click to show)
Gym Badges and Frontier Symbols! (click to show)
If you like metal... (click to show)
+Quote Post

Commander Wymsy
post Oct 12 2008, 09:35 PM
Post #57

Megalomaniac out for world domination
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 3

Greatest Team Ever

QUOTE(Filipe Couto @ Oct 12 2008, 09:09 AM) *
i think it is theory beacause the«ey ara pokemon that are more stronger then the evolutions but its diferent cases in all pokemon.

Uh.... this debate has nothing to do with Pokémon.

QUOTE(Inu Ryu @ Oct 12 2008, 09:42 AM) *
My father is a paster for a deaf church. I just go along with what he says is true. I am Christian by the way.

So you're a Christian. You never specifically told what exactly you believe in, since there are Christians who believe in evolution and those who don't.

Really people, please actually state your opinion and read the posts in a thread so you know what you're discussing.

---

Anywho, I'm for evolution. Might be a theory, but it's a scientific theory. I don't know how people can throw away all of the growing evidence to evolution. It also irritates me when people say crap like "I don't believe in evolution because I know we aren't monkeys!!". Please. If you're going to speak against something like evolution, at least know what it is.

--------------------
Overtaken by Net & Zodi on that track!
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Oct 12 2008, 09:45 PM
Post #58

Group Icon

Active Squad

Late but I had a new thoughtwave.

'Species end up changing through time' is a very broad statement.
It's a true statement, although I should add 'gradually' somewhere in that sentence to make more sense of it.

Regardless, you can't expect something to stay entirely static. Almost nothing is; it changes over time, however gradually that may be. Our genetic code is no different.

--------------------
+Quote Post

TQQ
post Oct 12 2008, 10:19 PM
Post #59

Justin
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 244

Active Squad

well doesn't that just blow my mind, raven!

well said.

--------------------

+Quote Post

TSS
post Oct 24 2008, 12:42 PM
Post #60

Taste the rainbow!
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 391

TSS FTW

Myself, I don't believe in God. I think that evolution is how we got here. The Big Bang (if that's what created the Earth) was, in my opinion, caused by particles, similar to black holes. Due to all that matter, some sort of living cell thing made its way into the new planet. It evolved into a fish, witch led to lizards, which led to dinosaurs, but many of these fish and lizards and stuff made their way into something else.

As for God, wouldn't he have stopped people from dying and someone from inventing bombs? I mean that, why would he let us live a life of horror? I'm not trying to stamp out anyone's beliefs, I'm just pondering about it.

I know half my ideas are probably just stupid and there isn't much point thinking about them.

--------------------
[align=center]~I am GTS+'s Violent and Dangerous Rioter~
~I am TSS~

[/align]
+Quote Post

36 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 01:39 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.