Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Sex Education
Swordsalmon
post Jun 27 2008, 07:10 PM
Post #1

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 299

Active Squad

Well, I was reading the news and came upon this horrible and disheartening article. Which led me to make this topic...I hope this is considered serious enough for a debate.

Horrible things such as this, I think could be prevented with more education on breeding in schools. However, there's been a controversy on whether this should be a course in schools. I have to support teaching young teens about pregnancy and prevention. Though this might increase the amount of young intercourse (Which I, morally think isn't right, but whatever), allowing these teens to know prevention could prevent more tragedies. If more promiscuous teens is the after-effect of lowering infantcide and abortions, I think it's worth it.

Sorry if this topic isn't "Debate"-worthy, but it's something I would like to discuss, considering how important it might become in the future.

--------------------
I have claimed Kanghaskhan.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Etnie
post Jun 27 2008, 07:15 PM
Post #2

GTS+PL Duskfall Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 030

Gym Team

..........OMFG.....well if I had a kid when I was 14 and I didn't know I was pregnant then i wouldn't kill the thing by stuffing him and flushing him.
other than that I really don't know what to say.......

--------------------
[spoiler=My Badges]
[/spoiler]
[align=center]FC: 5284 7712 8844
[/align]
+Quote Post

Pumpkin King
post Jun 27 2008, 10:03 PM
Post #3

Nevermore!
Group Icon

Member No.: 807

BLARG

i had a sex education class in the eighth grade but i went to a private skool. i think there should be sex education classes in every skool but some parents view that as "profane" or "obscene." its not like they're having sex in class, they're learning about sex to help prevent tragedies like in that article swordsalmon found. i agree with swordsalmon 100%.

--------------------

Think I'm cool? Follow me on tumblr.
Banner by Liquefy
+Quote Post

Commander Wymsy
post Jun 27 2008, 10:17 PM
Post #4

Megalomaniac out for world domination
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 3

Greatest Team Ever

Of course sex education should be in schools. And none of this "abstinence" crap, we need sex education classes that actually teach the students important information regarding sex. Such information would include info about STDs, different types of contraception, pregnancy, etc. You can't stop teenagers from having sex, but you can (and should) definitely arm them with knowledge. If they're going to have sex, it should be safe sex. And I know contraceptives aren't fool-proof, but the two consenting teenagers would know the risk they are taking when they have sex, safe or otherwise.

--------------------
Overtaken by Net & Zodi on that track!
+Quote Post

ErrorOptik
post Jul 5 2008, 11:49 AM
Post #5

Ice Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 1 538

Active Squad

First of all I just want to say, that its horrid what that girl did. If she was old enough to have sex and get pregnant, then she is old enough to know that killing a newborn is wrong, and that there are other ways to handle things like that.
Secondly. YES YES YES, a thousand times over to if schools should teach sex ed. Sure they say, when you are younger, "Don't have sex, its wrong," but that just doesn't cut it. Teenagers are going to have sex any way, no matter what people tell them. Sex ed should also start earlier. My school started in 8th grade. By then we already had 5 girls in our class pregnant. Perhaps about 6th grade or even younger is best. The earlier students learn about this type of thing the better of people are going to be. Students today are having sex and a good deal of them do not know of the consequences. Sure a lot of them know that sex can get you pregnant, but a lot of people do not understand about the consequences of an STI (Formally known as an STD).

--------------------
Nintendo 3DS FC: 5327-1215-2976
+Quote Post

Mister Sa
post Jul 5 2008, 02:38 PM
Post #6

thats racist.
Group Icon

Group: Validating
Member No.: 54

Active Squad

They really had sex ed that late for you? 8th grade? The earliest grade had sex ed in was 5th grade. I also had it in 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th.

I also agree that schools should teach and have sex education. It would inform the kids on what sex is, and preventing unwanted pregnancies, etc. Just like everyone has said so far~

It would also teach the kids about STDs ( if it was taught ) at a lower grade level, like it was for me.

My position on sex is kind of, erm ... well you know, if you love the person and they love you back or you and your partner feel comfortable enough to go to that base, sure. But I don't mean stupid little middle schoolers and early high schoolers saying or thinking this. I'm having trouble explaining myself. noes.gif Okay, ...

I don't support sex at a REALLY young age, like you know, 13, 14, 15, 16! I feel that you're still immature about love and sex at this age. I guess that's what I was trying to say.

I'm not conservative about sex, I'm really really open to it. I don't think it's right if a 17 year old was dating and having sex with a 13 year old. coughcoughcoughmytwinbrothercoughcoughcough xC

I don't know what more to say. I'm all over the place with this post, not sure if it's gonna make sense.

--------------------

Mister Sa on DEVIANT ART
Mister Sa on YOUTUBE
Mister Sa on MYSPACE

I claimed the sexy . ;D

Come down to the Pokemon Cafe Forum. I'm there, so it's automatically cool. C:
+Quote Post

Aeroy
post Jul 6 2008, 12:53 PM
Post #7

old news
Group Icon

Member No.: 74

Active Squad

QUOTE(Mister Sa @ Jul 5 2008, 03:38 PM) *
My position on sex is kind of, erm ... well you know,

lawlz it's probably wrong that i thought this was funny

anyway my school teaches it like wymsy said. it's the best class EVER lol.

--------------------
That is a really, really bad sig; new one to come soon.
+Quote Post

Mister Sa
post Jul 7 2008, 01:06 PM
Post #8

thats racist.
Group Icon

Member No.: 54

Active Squad

QUOTE(Aeroy @ Jul 6 2008, 01:53 PM) *
QUOTE(Mister Sa @ Jul 5 2008, 03:38 PM) *
My position on sex is kind of, erm ... well you know,

lawlz it's probably wrong that i thought this was funny

Hahaha, it's alright. I finally figured out what I was trying to say at the end of the post.

I'm not conservative about anything, especially not sex. I don't believe it SHOULD be done after marriage, but you need those special feelings there for it to be right, in my opinion. :0 SEX without love is nothing. You don't need to be married to prove that.

But yeah yeah, sex education is lol. I use to love how immature my fellow classmates were. "Now the penis..." "Oh hahaahah heeeheeeeheeeeheeeeheeeeheeehaahahsdhuihsudihsauisad HE SAID PEEEEEEE-NIHS!!!! n.n "

I remember in my 8th grade sex education class 2 people came in to explain the significance of condoms. One straight women, and a lesbian. And then I also remember my 10th grade science teacher saying female condoms are indestructible. HAHAHA. Sex education... ilu, sex education. xD;; So many funny memories.

ANYWAY. Yeah, sex education is important. I believe it should be mandatory to begin teaching it when most kids start hitting puberty, ( which I'm assuming IS when I hit puberty ) at the start of 5th grade. I'm not sure if boys hit puberty that early, actually. But I still think it'd be the ideal grade to begin sex education.

--------------------

Mister Sa on DEVIANT ART
Mister Sa on YOUTUBE
Mister Sa on MYSPACE

I claimed the sexy . ;D

Come down to the Pokemon Cafe Forum. I'm there, so it's automatically cool. C:
+Quote Post

Andre Young
post Aug 13 2008, 05:49 PM
Post #9

Formerly Fidel Castro.
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1 850

Active Squad

My view is a little difficult, so read all of my post before judging me.

I don't technically think it should be taught in schools, because I think that parents should teach their kids when they're too young to be disgusted, but old enough to understand it. I can't ever remember NOT knowing about it, and my brother told me that my parents taught us about it when we were really young.
The one thing is, it probably SHOULD be taught in schools a little early so kids who weren't taught will know. I learned all my dirty stuff from the internet, though. But if it's never taught, and they don't learn until they're like 14-16, there will be awkward moments when they don't get jokes.
And if they do learn it, but not from you or a school, it will be awkward for everyone when you're just telling them stuff they already know.
I'd also like to add something:
I think, that s long as you know what you're doing and the consequences of what you're doing, sex is fine for kids age 15+. Sex is something natural. I don't think sex should be restricted to only with people That love you and you Really and truly love. Sure, it's probably a better experience, but what if someone wants a baby, and wouldn't do it with anyone but you? I'm not saying pity-sex is A-otay, but how could it hurt? and casual sex can be used for stress-releving purposes.

This post has been edited by FidelCastro: Aug 13 2008, 06:02 PM
+Quote Post

berettapunk
post Aug 13 2008, 06:44 PM
Post #10

"thats right, big sit!"
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 564

some of my favorites

i too have mixed opinions on this. i believe the kids should be taught at a young age, mostly because all throughout human history, except for the last 50 or so years, humans have been getting married at a young age(12-17) due to the fact that human life expectancy wasnt all that long and several other factors. so the fact is people of those times knew what sex is and what all it was for. unfortunately, in recent times, sex has been deemed inappropriate by many people especially in the church. therefore it became taboo to tell them about it as well. i guarantee that if they kept tabs on teens in the past like they do now, teen pregnancys would be just as "high" if not substantially higher than they are now. the only difference is they were getting married instead of just "doing it."

basically it has all come down to the world developing a new perspective on the way it does things. as far as im concerned tho, parents really do need to take up some responsibility in teaching their children about sex. yes, i know how awkward it can be. sex was always a taboo in my house growing up. but i will say i gained more perspective on things after my parents told me about it than i ever did from a teacher who just wanted to breeze thru the subject and collect a paycheck at the end of the year.

as for the parents and older people shouting about how sex shouldnt be taught in schools, they are the same people who wont take up the responsibility to teach their children about sex in the first place. it mostly boils down to a lack of responsibility on most parents, and others wanting the government to take care of everything. as far as im concerned, those who dont take the responsibility should be punished, and the government has no business raising children.

p.s.: normally im not so preachy lol. i just get very opinionated at times lol.

--------------------
ALL HAIL WYMSY!

ign:Terry, fc: 0731-5976-5898 ralts.gif kirlia.gif gardevoir.gif gallade.gif :boota:

Valentines day is supposed to be about love.

No, that thing you do when you're by yourself does not count as love.

Stop it.
+Quote Post

TQQ
post Aug 13 2008, 07:41 PM
Post #11

Justin
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 244

Active Squad

......sex ed? i didn't have that. i had this:

dad: justin, we need to talk.
justin: about what?
Dad: sex. here is what happens. fuck her all night, dont break the condom. or your'e fucked.
if you have any questions, read the penthouse forum.
justin: *scarred for life*

6 years later: i have a daughter.

moral of the story: listen to your dad when he is drunk. he might save your life.

This post has been edited by the quiet quilava: Aug 13 2008, 07:42 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Kookie Monster
post Aug 13 2008, 08:02 PM
Post #12

Stalking like a Weeping Angel
Group Icon

Member No.: 889

COOKIE Team

I think it should be taught in school, some parents may view a class such as this as' disgusting'. Instead of parents being given an option weather their child can learn about sex, it should be compulsory.

Like Wymsy said, you cannot stop teenagers having sex, but you can tell them about the ways you can stop or reduce the rate of pregnancy and tell them how to prevent STDs such as HIV, which can stop them having children when they are older.

If Sex Education was taught all around the world, I'm sure that countries with High Births Rates would gradually go down in population which would be good.

This post has been edited by TyraniBoah: Aug 13 2008, 08:02 PM

--------------------

IRC NICKS: Fudge, Kookie, Adam West, RedIce

+Quote Post

berettapunk
post Aug 13 2008, 08:10 PM
Post #13

"thats right, big sit!"
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 564

some of my favorites

imo, if i know there is a chance someone is infected with something, or i know that person has been around...im not going to sleep with them...what is lacking is a state of common sense. if teens and adults would think before they act, there would be a lot less people infected with stds...seriously...its not a hard decision to make, and its not like you wont eventually find someone later who will sleep with you that you know you can trust.

This post has been edited by berettapunk: Aug 13 2008, 08:11 PM

--------------------
ALL HAIL WYMSY!

ign:Terry, fc: 0731-5976-5898 ralts.gif kirlia.gif gardevoir.gif gallade.gif :boota:

Valentines day is supposed to be about love.

No, that thing you do when you're by yourself does not count as love.

Stop it.
+Quote Post

Pokii
post Aug 13 2008, 10:36 PM
Post #14

Adorable Demonic Pinecone
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 2 319

ORAS Team

I remember we had a sex ed class as a sub part of a Health in the 7th/8th grade (I took it in 8th), and they actually did do all that stuff you guys are saying they should do. Most of it was "Abstinence is good!" kinda stuff, but then there was the STD's slide-show...

...I am scarred for life after that facepalm.gif no.gif

--------------------
| | | | |

Make me an avatar!

Spoiler (click to showhide)
+Quote Post

PuhPuhPuhPi
post Aug 13 2008, 10:52 PM
Post #15

Three point one four one five nine two six...
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 388

Pi's Posse

Oh, my school does sex ed in health class, throughout middle school and for one semester in high school. I just took my high school health last year, and I have to say I'm still a little immature. I had to try so hard to not laugh every time the teacher said "penis."

I think that sex ed should be taught in every school district starting at middle school, and definitely in high school again, as sexual urges rise. As for teenagers having sex, I believe that sex is a natural human tendency, and that if kids are being safe about it then sex is ok.

I remember "Contraceptive Day" in Health class, when the teacher showed us every single kind of contraceptive. She even had flavored condoms! "This one is fudge, and I think this one is mint!" I was laughing so hard for days.

--------------------
My friend code for Pearl is
1160-9066-4343
My Friend Code for Diamond, my hack version, is 1805 5204 6808

Thanks sushikitty!
CLICK FOR SOMETHING AMAZING... :3
ludicolo.gif lickilicky.gif I claim Ludicolo and Lickilicky, because no one else will protest about either of them. lickilicky.gif ludicolo.gif
GTS+ Chat. Much like drugs, it's really addicting.
Badges

+Quote Post

Maikeru
post Sep 24 2008, 09:58 PM
Post #16

Steel-Type Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 518

Steel Team

They should teach it in all schools but seriously how hard is it to NOT have sex u keep ur dam penis in ur pants geez. But yah im waiting till marriage that night will be the best night of my life happy.gif
(BTW im 15)

--------------------
SoulSilver Friendcode: 5027-6669-1059

My Badges (click to show)

+Quote Post

TQQ
post Sep 24 2008, 10:40 PM
Post #17

Justin
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 244

Active Squad

sex is the greatest gift EVAR.
end of discussion.
no.... i change my mind.....
not the sex, the end of dscussion part... lol
sex education is justified in some ways, and completly fail on the other side.
abstinance is a choice, not a rule. sex is okay, as long as you are safe. i lost my virginity when i was 14, and i have no regrets, because that was with a women i loved, and years later, we had a beautiful baby girl. a planned baby.
if i was used as an example of MOST (not all) sex ed classes, i would be the bad example, even though it was of my own accord. my sex ed experiance was horrible...... i got kicked out of class every day of that wek for questioning the instructor. she preached her "ZOMG ABSTINANCE IS AWESOME!!!11!!!oneoneoneLMNOP" schtick, and i stood up and questioned her instructioning. if you feel that you would like to have sex, by all means, HAVE SEX> sins are forgiven, right? WRONG. but that by no means mean you are sinning by having sex. sex is a natural urge, and if you want it, well go fetch the fucking stick. it is by no means a sin.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Carmani
post Sep 29 2008, 08:28 PM
Post #18

The GTS+PL Electric Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 947

Active Squad

I agree completelly with sex education in schools.

Here in Brazil, the Public schools have no goverment suport. There's a lot of alienated people but not for option (ok, there's these ones too lol)

I think if it was implanted a education improvement in my country we could advance very much in this area.

But that's not our situation nowadays.
+Quote Post

Nivbird
post Apr 13 2009, 10:20 AM
Post #19

all we gotta do is be brave and be kind~
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 6 782

I think that sexual education should exist at all schools, with pure facts and no moralizing or personal advising.

--------------------

Shiny collection (click to show)
+Quote Post

nebz5
post Apr 13 2009, 03:17 PM
Post #20

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 10 265

my team

The school i went to had sex ed in 6th-8th grade it was weird, we had to see childbirth. it was over all kinda scary the teacher said by the time you all leave high school at least 1/8 of you will have some sort of std and when i heard that i was like o.o but the didn't teach abstinence public school ftw we have 3 teen pregnancies last year o.o

--------------------
Pokemans
+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 01:15 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.