Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Atheists
LiteSpeed
post Nov 12 2010, 10:57 PM
Post #1

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 39 978

hue

So I was talking to the person next to me in class today, and brought up the topic of Atheism as I often do. I don't often befriend people who believe Atheists are evil and will go to Hell just cause they don't believe in a higher power, blah blah blah. So I figured I'd ask the member base here. What's your view on being Atheist?

-------------

Personally, I don't see a problem with having your own thoughts and beliefs. It's not like either side can be 100% proven, you just usually lean towards the side you think is better argued or supported.

This post has been edited by LiteSpeed: Jan 15 2011, 04:19 AM

--------------------

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

FancyGranola
post Nov 14 2010, 06:51 AM
Post #2

Elite Double Battler
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 80 673

Life

You either believe in a god(s) or no. Pretty simple. I've figured out my meaning of life. A God or not, I'm resting on my own laurels so I'm contented.

--------------------

Credits (click to show)
+Quote Post

Yamper
post Nov 14 2010, 07:18 AM
Post #3

Axew and Volcarona enthusiast
Group Icon

Member No.: 61 211

Invisible Kyurem

That's just a bit pathetic if you ask me.

Atheists aren't evil -_-2.gif But yeah, believe what you believe... Nothing will change what I view.

--------------------

Don't forget to love yourself.
Add me for daily clicks: 873/1000

[align=center]---

Community Thread Shiny List!

---[/align]
[align=right]Breeding Incentives: Mission Cards
[/align]
+Quote Post

FancyGranola
post Nov 14 2010, 07:24 AM
Post #4

Elite Double Battler
Group Icon

Life

QUOTE(Samoosion @ Nov 14 2010, 04:18 AM) *
Nothing will change what I view.

That's America.

--------------------

Credits (click to show)
+Quote Post

Reyo
post Nov 15 2010, 01:21 PM
Post #5

I'm in space...space...spacespace
Group Icon

Member No.: 30 281

space team

Atheists aren't evil. An atheist, however, can be an egotistical douche who's just as bad as an evangelical religious person who likes to call everything fun a sin, but it's not fair to call the whole group evil.

--------------------
space...spacespace...wanna go to space...I'm in space...are we in space...I wanna into space, are you space? Uh oh, space police, stay cool. Space..space..space space..ba ba, ba, ba, bababa, ba, ba space. Dad, are you space? Yes, now we can be a family again. Space space...need...space...need a rocket...wanna buy a rocket? It's for space...need one...buy one from space store...space store...space...space...space supplies...space ship...space rocket...rocket..space...soup...space soup...from space cafe...space waiter there's a space fly in my space soup...spacespace....must...

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-
+Quote Post

BarkingChaos
post Nov 15 2010, 07:52 PM
Post #6

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 112 100

Sandshrew Army

I never understood how some people have the whole atheist=evil view. Its not like the atheist is coming to your house to murder you. I'd say there are some Christians who are more "evil" but thats another debate :/
+Quote Post

Xires
post Nov 16 2010, 02:57 PM
Post #7

Tick Tock
Group Icon

Member No.: 97 475

Insect Collect

quagsire.gif Post Deleted

This post has been edited by xires: Nov 17 2010, 06:53 PM

--------------------

-Lulled in the countless chambers of the brain, our thoughts are linked by many a hidden chain; awake but one, and in, what myriads rise!-
+Quote Post

bijoukaiba
post Nov 16 2010, 03:50 PM
Post #8

Proud NB Gator & writer
Group Icon

Member No.: 45 767

My Sapphires

Are atheists evil?

I am strongly against homophobia, sexism, pedophilia, and racism.
I occasionally participate in certain events for charity (such as running a 5k for charity, donating food, volunteering, etc.)
While I do like to eat meat, I am against animal cruelty.
I am described as a very loyal friend, and a caring person.
I donate blood.
I am very passionate about doing the right thing and seeking justice.
I want to end world hunger, and support world peace.
I love my family (including pets) and friends very much.
I want to help save the environment, as I find nature very beautiful.
I love the arts, particularly music and writing.
I want to be a pediatric neurologist and help kids overcome problems with their brain. After all, it would probably give my patients great hope to know that their neurologist once had epilepsy herself, but it didn't stop her from going to medical school.
I am clearly a human being like everyone else, capable of human emotions. I can be happy, sad, scared, or angry. I laugh and I cry. I have a brain, I have a heart, and I have a sense of humor.

And I am an atheist.

--------------------

I BLEED ORANGE AND BLUE!
+Quote Post

Prof Sabiba
post Nov 16 2010, 04:02 PM
Post #9

Yeah, my backdrop is cool. Deal with it.
Group Icon

Member No.: 56 366

Professor's Team

I'm a Christian, but I don't think atheists are evil. Sure, sometimes I feel like I want to convert them to my religion, but I won't try if they don't want me to. It's just a belief.

Xires, when you're Christian, you don't have to go to church every Sunday. That bothered me a little.

I hate how some people go overboard with religion. Just because people don't believe the same thing as you doesn't mean they're evil. It's not right to be friends with someone for years, not knowing their religion, then finding out they're atheist and immediately ignoring them. I'm very against that.

As for moral stuff, your religion doesn't affect that. You can be Jewish and act evil, or be atheist and be a model of goodness. As I said before, it's just a belief.

--------------------

Formerly and proudly known as Mewkeemyuu (as you can tell from my avatars...XD)

---><---

"A brown egg with a dark brown blotch near the top and several teal spots around it. It seems to probe your thoughts when you approach it." A small hole opened up in the egg!

Wanna help this little guy hatch? All you need to do is send me a pm with the secret word. Only 8 clicks to the next stage! (19 total) Secret Word Hint: This one's kinda tricky... Galaxies, nebulas, all so much fun! Wouldn't you like to comment on one?
Other stuff (click to show)

Credit goes to... (click to show)

+Quote Post

Elito
post Nov 16 2010, 04:05 PM
Post #10

My life's a theater.
Group Icon

Member No.: 50 181

MonoPoison

lol, Atheists = evil? No way. But lol, Im Christian and believe in God, so if you ask whether Atheists go to hell, my thoughts are they do, because they refuse the God. So, if you don't believe in him, and in the end he does exists, you go to hell, if in the end he doesn't exists, you don't go anywhere, since then all hell/heaven stuff doesn't exist either. But you can't really ask someone...
I say, let people believe what they want. It's their own will. However I find it very silly when people say they're atheists because they don't believe God could create the world, and that somebody had to create, in fact, him. Anyways, I'm not going to get any deeper in religious debates, because we have other thread for that, and it's rather silly.

QUOTE(xires @ Nov 16 2010, 08:57 PM) *
I am awesome, and Atheist. lemme tell ya, It's a lot less hassle then being christian. for one, I don't have to go to church every sunday, I can go watch a movie instead. I also can see how things work easier, meanwhile other people would dismiss it as an act of god or whatever. finlly, I actually learn cool things from other religions that most Christians wouldn't take the time to look at because it's 'inferior'. It's awesome.

Everything you said was so plain immature I had to laugh. Especially the bold part. I said I'm a Christian, however I don't go to church every Sunday. In fact, I almost never go to church. Then, "learning cool things from other religions that most Christians wouldn't take the time to look at because it's 'inferior'". Again, so much lol. We do learn stuff about other religions, so what you just said made no sense. I know very much about every other religion, Egyptian, Arabic, Muslim... Being Christian does not makes you blocked or walled in some kind of way. You are free to do what ever you want, it's just that in the end you may take some consequences, and it's much better and easier for both you and everybody else to do good stuff.

/rant

XD

--------------------

x
+Quote Post

PikaDiety
post Nov 16 2010, 05:24 PM
Post #11

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 92 309

Active Squad

I hate when people say others go to hell just for not believing in their god. It's kind of stupid. No offense, but if he's a god of love, why would he send anyone to hell? Especially an amazing, kind, moral person, just because they're an atheist.

Obviously, I don't think atheists are evil. I have atheist friends and Christian friends, and I have atheist enemies and Christian enemies. Although I will admit I have more Christian enemies than atheist ones.>.> That's mainly because they're always telling me to go to hell.

Note: I'm neither Christian nor atheist. I'm pagan. I only believe in a hell for the worst people on earth, like mass murderers who kill in cold blood, etc.
+Quote Post

ShrapnelStars
post Nov 16 2010, 05:35 PM
Post #12

Well, I wish I'd wished you well
Group Icon

Member No.: 4 143

Let Us In

I don't think Atheists are evil, and I'm a Christian. I do get a little bothered when people assume all Christians are evil, though. I've met plenty of kind Atheists. They're normal people, too. everyone has their own beliefs, and I don't force mine on others, just like my Atheist friends don't force theirs on me. cat.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

BarkingChaos
post Nov 16 2010, 05:37 PM
Post #13

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 112 100

Sandshrew Army

QUOTE(Elito @ Nov 16 2010, 04:05 PM) *
lol, Atheists = evil? No way. But lol, Im Christian and believe in God, so if you ask whether Atheists go to hell, my thoughts are they do, because they refuse the God. So, if you don't believe in him, and in the end he does exists, you go to hell, if in the end he doesn't exists, you don't go anywhere, since then all hell/heaven stuff doesn't exist either. But you can't really ask someone...
I say, let people believe what they want. It's their own will. However I find it very silly when people say they're atheists because they don't believe God could create the world, and that somebody had to create, in fact, him. Anyways, I'm not going to get any deeper in religious debates, because we have other thread for that, and it's rather silly.

QUOTE(xires @ Nov 16 2010, 08:57 PM) *
I am awesome, and Atheist. lemme tell ya, It's a lot less hassle then being christian. for one, I don't have to go to church every sunday, I can go watch a movie instead. I also can see how things work easier, meanwhile other people would dismiss it as an act of god or whatever. finlly, I actually learn cool things from other religions that most Christians wouldn't take the time to look at because it's 'inferior'. It's awesome.

Everything you said was so plain immature I had to laugh. Especially the bold part. I said I'm a Christian, however I don't go to church every Sunday. In fact, I almost never go to church. Then, "learning cool things from other religions that most Christians wouldn't take the time to look at because it's 'inferior'". Again, so much lol. We do learn stuff about other religions, so what you just said made no sense. I know very much about every other religion, Egyptian, Arabic, Muslim... Being Christian does not makes you blocked or walled in some kind of way. You are free to do what ever you want, it's just that in the end you may take some consequences, and it's much better and easier for both you and everybody else to do good stuff.

/rant

XD

You just said pretty much what I wanted to say clap.gif

I do want to add that you can also believe in God in the sense there is a higher power watching over us and not believe that he "created" the world. Theres a name for that belief, but I dont remember what it is.
+Quote Post

evolutionrex
post Nov 16 2010, 09:05 PM
Post #14

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 120 391

Active Squad

I am an atheist. I am one of the biggest atheist around. I've made a few websites and clubs on other forums. I never ever try to change anyone's beliefs however.

Atheist are not evil in anyway. There are a few atheist that I have met, i admit, who call themselves "atheist" but in reality they worship the devil. Even if they worship the devil, it still doesn't make them evil. It's a point of view.

But i have met very few devil worshipers and i can tell you, atheist aren't evil. I am, an atheist and i follow the laws, and i do my part in society. I am very green and try to save the planet. I am part of an anti-drug and anti-bully club at my high school.

there is a stereotype that said atheist are cold, mean, and anti-social; and it's wrong.

--------------------
Please! Visit my eggs! It's important, and you know it!
+Quote Post

Tazii
post Nov 16 2010, 09:31 PM
Post #15

Tikk Tokk
Group Icon

Member No.: 39 543

A Taste of The Fury

Religion is a choice. Whether a person wants to believe in God or not is their choice. You choice in religion doesn't make you evil. Your actions do. No, Athiest=/=evil.

I am Christian. I am also a Youth Group Leader in my church. But I also have many Athiest friends. They're just normal people who are just as capable as being good or evil as everyone else, their beliefs don't change that.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Rugal
post Nov 17 2010, 02:14 AM
Post #16

What?
Group Icon

Member No.: 76 953

Active Squad

I'm an atheist.

I fully support LGBT rights
I fully support inter-culture and inter-faith understanding and acceptance
I frequently donate to charity
I volunteer for shit
I fully support green technology

Am I an evil person? I honestly don't think so. I have my own reasons for being an atheist, but blatantly flaunting your faith or lack of a faith in other people's faces instead of appreciating the person for who they are just makes you look like a jackass.

--------------------
Metaphysics explained in simple terms (click to show)
Important info about myself (click to show)
Things I may or may not be directly responsible for (click to show)
+Quote Post

FancyGranola
post Nov 17 2010, 03:20 AM
Post #17

Elite Double Battler
Group Icon

Life

QUOTE(xires @ Nov 16 2010, 11:57 AM) *

"God doesn't exist" is what you believe in. Right now, you just posted something that spreads doubt in God. That's no better than Christians spreading their faith in God. Am I right or am I right?

Oh really... The person who was the head of the Human Genome Project was Christian. I think that is cool.

And if I went by your logic. I am right because I am right.

Get out. What type of person are you?

--------------------

Credits (click to show)
+Quote Post

MrFuckUp
post Nov 17 2010, 03:38 AM
Post #18

breathe
Group Icon

Member No.: 80 019

team rocket

I'm atheist/agnostic. Yes, they're completely different, but I don't care. I gave up on religion due to the sheer fact that my prayers about a better life have long been unanswered. If you want a good and better life, do it yourself. Don't rely on a God.

As for the actual topic, I am not evil and neither are the rest. Though I do act a bit crazy at times, but that's human. There are extremists who believe that God will save them, and harm others to prove it. The only way one will go to Hell, if it exists, is if they harm others and themselves.

The only other atheist/agnostic I've met acted like a regular person. She played games, went for walks, and took care of herself. True it may be one person, but she didn't seem like she was evil. She may have dressed differently, but we aren't judged by the clothes we wear.

QUOTE(xires @ Nov 16 2010, 02:57 PM) *

1. You're not awesome. You're as equal as the rest of us. Sorry.
2. Being assigned to a religion is not a hassle, nor a chore, nor a burden. To some it may seem so, to others, it's a luxury, and also an act of good intentions.
3. You are not obligated to go to church every Sunday. You are free to go or not go when you want to.
4. I don't even know how to go about answering that next sentence. You make no sense.
5. ALL OTHER RELIGIONS CAN ALSO LEARN ABOUT OTHER RELIGIONS. THEY JUST CHOOSE NOT TO, OR THEY DO SO.
6. Atheism ain't awesome. What's awesome is not using awesome in such a manner.
7. I may not believe in God, but what you said is just pathetic.

--------------------
"something will go here"

+Quote Post

FancyGranola
post Nov 17 2010, 03:47 AM
Post #19

Elite Double Battler
Group Icon

Life

QUOTE(FrenzyClinic @ Nov 17 2010, 12:38 AM) *
I'm atheist/agnostic.

I'm not attacking you personally, but there is a distinct difference in the words you just used. Atheist means you do not believe in God. Agnostic means you believe there might be a God, a cosmic being, or whatever.

Do not get those two mixed up because they lead to very different discussions. I do not like how kids these days just throw around vocabulary that they might not 100% understand and yet they use it like they know what they mean.

--------------------

Credits (click to show)
+Quote Post

Reyo
post Nov 17 2010, 04:21 AM
Post #20

I'm in space...space...spacespace
Group Icon

Member No.: 30 281

space team

In response to one specific post, I'd like to say that while people need to cut out the whole "atheists are evil" thing, people also need to stop with the "Christians are scientifically/culturally ignorant/have a vendetta against sleeping in on Sunday"...thing. I mean c'mon, making THAT assumption is just as bad as the "atheism = evil" one that this thread is meant to discuss.

This post has been edited by Reyo: Nov 17 2010, 04:22 AM

--------------------
space...spacespace...wanna go to space...I'm in space...are we in space...I wanna into space, are you space? Uh oh, space police, stay cool. Space..space..space space..ba ba, ba, ba, bababa, ba, ba space. Dad, are you space? Yes, now we can be a family again. Space space...need...space...need a rocket...wanna buy a rocket? It's for space...need one...buy one from space store...space store...space...space...space supplies...space ship...space rocket...rocket..space...soup...space soup...from space cafe...space waiter there's a space fly in my space soup...spacespace....must...

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-
+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th March 2024 - 11:51 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.