Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Born Gay/Straight/Bi, Are you born or turned that way?
Desmond Hume
post Feb 18 2012, 05:12 AM
Post #21

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 79 915

Active Squad

Totally gay, and I can never imagine being straight. I don't have that attraction to women and I never will (or at least I hope I never will).
I'd like to believe that your sexuality is determined through genetics, although I can see the argument for being gay based on influences.

--------------------

Shiny Shiny (click to show)
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Gryphaena
post Feb 24 2012, 03:55 AM
Post #22

She Who Can Be Voracious
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 79 103

My Purple Ones

I think a person is mostly born that way. I have a lesbian aunt who told my grandfather her kindergarten teacher was sexy.

Also, I think I remember something from biology about male mice/rats who preferred female mice/rats who didn't have male siblings because those females had less testosterone than females who did have male siblings. Though maybe that last sentence is off topic.

--------------------
Avatar by Cycloneblaze at Cycloneshop II

GPX+GPX+

Poliwager Poliwager
+Quote Post

Reyo
post Feb 25 2012, 03:42 AM
Post #23

I'm in space...space...spacespace
Group Icon

Member No.: 30 281

space team

QUOTE(Gryphaena @ Feb 24 2012, 04:55 AM) *
I think a person is mostly born that way. I have a lesbian aunt who told my grandfather her kindergarten teacher was sexy.

Also, I think I remember something from biology about male mice/rats who preferred female mice/rats who didn't have male siblings because those females had less testosterone than females who did have male siblings. Though maybe that last sentence is off topic.

You're talking about this?

I remember that in Bio class too, though I think it deals a lot more with aggression than it does sexuality. For example, male mice born between two male brothers will be super aggressive in adulthood, those born between a brother and a sister will behave "normally", and one born between two sisters will be under-aggressive. The problem is that, unless they're a set of twins, which wouldn't matter, humans are unaffected by this since humans don't breed in litters. It is tested, however, that fetal development could include fluctuations in the hypothalamus, which does control human sexuality, and can teeter someone towards homosexuality, or heterosexuality depending on the size.

This post has been edited by Reyo: Feb 25 2012, 03:43 AM

--------------------
space...spacespace...wanna go to space...I'm in space...are we in space...I wanna into space, are you space? Uh oh, space police, stay cool. Space..space..space space..ba ba, ba, ba, bababa, ba, ba space. Dad, are you space? Yes, now we can be a family again. Space space...need...space...need a rocket...wanna buy a rocket? It's for space...need one...buy one from space store...space store...space...space...space supplies...space ship...space rocket...rocket..space...soup...space soup...from space cafe...space waiter there's a space fly in my space soup...spacespace....must...

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-
+Quote Post

Yamper
post Feb 25 2012, 06:14 AM
Post #24

Axew and Volcarona enthusiast
Group Icon

Member No.: 61 211

Invisible Kyurem

QUOTE(Dazmi @ Jan 28 2012, 06:21 PM) *
I don`t choose my sexual orientation, my dick does. I get erect over guys, but not girls. There, simple as that.

Probably the best way to put it aha.
also there's quite a lot of British gays I didn't notice o___o

Mmmm I don't think I've ever seen that mouse thing but it certainly looks... interesting.

Although I don't think you're "born gay". Honestly... I used to like girls back in the day. Shocking isn't it? I used to be friends with this girl in primary school and I grew up my entire primary school life imagining having a wife + kids with this girl. Of course that all changed when I hit secondary school, or rather towards the end of primary. I didn't notice them at the time but as time went on I noticed it more and more. So whether having more female friends had an influence on me, I don't know, but I'm convinced it's a combination of the two (Nature and Nurture)

Also what Dazmi said I guess. Erect over guys but not girls.

--------------------

Don't forget to love yourself.
Add me for daily clicks: 873/1000

[align=center]---

Community Thread Shiny List!

---[/align]
[align=right]Breeding Incentives: Mission Cards
[/align]
+Quote Post

Galahawk
post Feb 28 2012, 04:45 PM
Post #25

Legendary Dragon Empress
Group Icon

Member No.: 21 238

Best team ever

I don't think anybody is born with a sexuality, and that we develop our sexualities as we age due to certain factors such as our surroundings and how we were raised. Though I also believe, in the end, whether we are straight, gay, or bi is not a decision, and that it's completely out of our control.

--------------------
[align=center]
- Click Latias for my deviantART | Click Latios for my Tumblr -

[spoiler=Shinies + Fat meeps]
(Shinies are not in chronological order. I stopped caring.)[/spoiler][/align]
+Quote Post

Kendall Raine
post Apr 11 2012, 07:06 PM
Post #26

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 10 241

Active Squad

Well, there’s a difference between attraction and acting on your attractions. Attraction itself isn’t a choice, only acting on it is. Sexual orientation usually refers to one’s inner attractions, so no, sexual orientation is not a choice. You don't choose what you're attracted to, you just choose who you have sex with/who you enter relationships with. A man who is only attracted to other men can very well be in a relationship with a woman if he's trying to lie to himself and others about his true sexuality. It happens all the time. I've known a few lesbian women who've been in sexual relationships with men, and they didn't enjoy it much, but they wrongly believed that ALL women don't enjoy sex with men and so they themselves didn't even realize they were gay until later on in their lives...

Sexuality is much more complex than people tend to realize. It's rarely ever something anyone consciously chooses, but it can be fluid and it can change, but if it does change it usually does so against your will, not because of it. People can be born either gay, bi, pan, straight, whatever, and later in life they might find that their attractions shift and change. It happens to some and doesn't happen to others. Human beings are very sexual creatures that use sex as a social bonding tool, it's not just a reproductive instinct like it is with dogs and cats and stuff, so our sexuality is a LOT more complex than most other animals.

Best thing to do is just go with the flow, don't try to change your sexuality, but if it changes on its own, that's okay. Nothing abnormal or shameful about that.

Now that that's out of the way... I don’t think it matters if it is a choice or isn’t. Religion is a choice, and yet there’s all sorts of rights and protections for religious people. Contraception is a choice people make to use, and it can be considered “unnatural,” its purpose is having non-procreative sex just like homosexual sex, and yet very few people are against that.

Let’s pretend that sexuality is absolutely, 100% a choice. Okay, so what? Shouldn’t two consenting adults have the right to be together if they want to regardless?

One thing I find problematic about the whole thing, is, what if race was a choice? Would it then be wrong to be black if you could choose to be black? It feels a bit like saying that being gay or black or whatever is some horrible fate and we should only tolerate them because they didn't choose it, those poor dears...but no, we should be accepting because there's nothing wrong with these things, not just because they didn't choose it.

--------------------
Clicku?
+Quote Post

Disgracik
post Jun 10 2012, 11:48 AM
Post #27

Life is the childhood of our immortality.
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 94 296

Fav legends

QUOTE(Starships @ Feb 25 2012, 01:14 PM) *
So whether having more female friends had an influence on me, I don't know, but I'm convinced it's a combination of the two (Nature and Nurture)

Also what Dazmi said I guess. Erect over guys but not girls.

Have same situation, having only friends girls have its influence (at least it has on me)... And that Dazmi words are also true... So, personally, I think there is 2 in 1... In some way you're born that way, but influence also plays it role and you become who you are...

I like girls, but i also like guys (more then girls), this is nature and I can't go against it, understanding it makes me even happy and proud of it ^_^.gif

--------------------
[align=center]

[/align]
[spoiler=Stuff] [align=center] [/spoiler][/align]
+Quote Post

nitrodog96
post Dec 12 2012, 06:32 PM
Post #28

bewm
Group Icon

From: In a burning ring of fire, channeling the power of the flames.
Member No.: 61 870

Platinum Team

Born straight.

--------------------
I used to be Cyogre, ILoveTaillowHesCute, TaillowIsCuteAndCool, Tart Spop, Tartius Spopius, Tartii, King of the Eevees and MasteroftheFlames. If you know me under any of those names, yeah, that's me.

In-Game Teams (click to show)

Hoping to get Social Networking! I'd really appreciate an add.

Arcanine! (click to show)

Miscellaneous (click to show)

Credits (click to show)

+Quote Post

Chrome
post Dec 12 2012, 08:39 PM
Post #29

Catch me if you can.
Group Icon

Member No.: 168 510

Active Squad

I think I was turned gay since I had a severe traumatic experience when I was 7-8. So I think that influenced my sexual orientation since that was a critical period for me. Or maybe I was born gay and that trauma made me realize it early, I don't know...

--------------------

↓ These shiny Pokemon wants you to click these ↓

GPX+ Groups (click to show)
+Quote Post

Karl Marx
post Aug 5 2013, 09:57 AM
Post #30

The Truth Is We Out Here
Group Icon

Member No.: 40 752

SWAMPERT

i believe it depends on the person. some people end up being born a different sexuality. for others, it sort of just grows on them after a while. for me, i never even wondered if i was bisexual until probably the past 8 months to about a year. [then again up until now i didn't really give a rat's ass about dating].

--------------------
When I'm sad I get in my Pod, I stare out the window and I'm like it's macaroni time

shiny swaggies (click to show)

+Quote Post

Anarchy
post Aug 5 2013, 07:57 PM
Post #31

Revolution
Group Icon

Member No.: 160 008

Favorites

Honestly this is a very troubling question. I personally am attracted to most people. But when aroused, I prefer thinking about women. I have had previous experiences with women when I was a bit younger, but my first love is indeed a man. I thought about what Dubbleyew said how being attracted to someone and acting on it are different, so I thought "Oh yeah I'm not too into women because I haven't acted on my attraction" but I did think about it and as I said I had a few experiences, which I did enjoy, even at a young age I was developing my attraction towards women, yet I had never tried to be one. I do not know whether it is because there are no bisexual or homosexual girls in my region, or because I am more comfortable with men. But I don't remember a time when I wasn't curious about kissing or hugging a girl instead of a boy so I would say I was born the way I am.

--------------------

+Quote Post

ZizanChan
post Aug 16 2013, 01:57 PM
Post #32

Zan the Kraken
Group Icon

Member No.: 58 123

Bring Me the Night

No one is born anything. A baby has no sexuality. Like someone else said before, their life consists of eat, shit, sleep, cry and repeat.
Just like a newborn is not capable of falling in love yet (parent/sibling love does not count), they don't have a preference of who they can like or fall in love with. Therefore everyone is born sexuality-less.

Sexuality is chosen either. It's not developed by anyone on purpose (you can't turn anyone/yourself gay/straight/anything else). It just develops by itself. It's kinda like.. you can't chose what flavors you like. Some people love mint, some people hate milk, some love both apple and strawberry, and none of them can forcefully change this (well, they might sometimes, if they, for example, drink too much milk and end up getting sick of it. This does not happen sexuality wise, though). If it's a choice, then why don't you chose to be the opposite of what you are for a while? You can't do that without lying to yourself.

I like to compare this with eye color.
The majority of babies are born with blue eyes. For the sake of this comparison I'll say blue eyes=no sexual preference.
As they grow up and more melanin deposits in their irises, their eyes often change color. Green, brown, hazel or anything in between.. Similar thing happens with sexuality as we mature. We notice that we like some people and not others, sometimes we like everyone equally, or no one at all. Though unlike eye color, this has nothing to do with genes. I don't think it has anything to do with the way we are brought up either, after all, in loads of christian (I mean the anti-gay kind) households the parents end up having gay/bi/pan children, even though they teach their children that being non-straight is wrong.

TL;DR Not born with it, nor a choice. More just.. developed over time regardless of anyones influence. Blame/thank nature! uvu

--------------------

I might make this part pretty eventually.
+Quote Post

diamondstark
post Oct 25 2013, 01:23 AM
Post #33

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 102 716

Active Squad

From my personal experience, I believe that gay people are born the way they are and that it cannot be changed.

I have dated four girls before (I am a guy), and I always felt something was missing. My attraction was only moderate for them. I thought I was straight until I was 13.
When I was 13, I started accepting my sexuality. I labelled myself as bisexual, but later came out as full-on gay. I have dated 3 guys since then, and I am with a guy now. Him and I are more real than me and any girl could have been.
Since straight people tend to have an easier time getting married, if I could have chosen I would be straight. But I'm not.
Because of this, and because I always knew in my heart that I was gay, I don't think it's a choice. It certainly wasn't a choice for me.
And if anyone ever says it is a complete choice, ask them to switch their sexuality right that moment.
They'll say they can't.
Point proven!

--------------------
My stupid 10 year old self used to use this account. I ask that you please excuse his actions.

Groups I am a member of: (click to show)
+Quote Post

KatjadieTediz
post Nov 29 2013, 01:32 PM
Post #34

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 211 336

Awww yeah

To be fair, the whole choice-or-not thing varies among many different people.
It doesn't seem to be a one-size-fits-all deal.

Personally? I wasn't turned gay or chose to be that way. Just like I didn't choose to be white, cis, female, or have Asperger's. In fact, some people like myself discover who
they prefer very early in life. I've always liked women.

I also believe it is important to remember that sexuality is a spectrum, not just a set number of outfits
you happen to fit into at some point. Some people fit into straight, gay, bisexual, pansexual, asexual etc clothes
very well. Sometimes, they wear a mix of them. Some may like women, but be open to possibilities with men, too.
Some may only trust those who do not fit into the gender binary but have had past relationships with cis individuals.
Etc, etc, etc, etc. It's a big spectrum, after all!

I do believe, however, that in the end straight people shouldn't really have a final say in the matter.
Opinions are great and fine to have, but y'all shouldn't get to write the psychology books or teach the youth
in this matter. :>
It's not that you're bad, it's just that you don't know much about what LGBTQA+ folks go through when discovering
their lack of hetero.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Quark
post Dec 7 2013, 07:12 PM
Post #35

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 211 903

Active Squad

I only really realised I liked girls as well as boys when I was about 13, promptly freaked myself out and didn't think about it for about a year because I was so ashamed lmao

People at my school would be so horrendous about gay people, and it terrified me beyond belief- so why on earth would I choose to be bisexual? The majority of my school friends still don't know now, the fear of rejection is literally so rife within the lgbtqia+ community it's ridiculous.

Of course I know now it's fine not to be straight but yeah, I definitely don't think it's a choice. I didn't choose to be bi, it's a hell of a lot more stress to be queer.
+Quote Post

Mosica
post Dec 7 2013, 08:46 PM
Post #36

a smile better suits a hero
Group Icon

Group: +Contributor
Member No.: 10 191

Garnet

I side with the "people are neither born gay, nor turned gay," or any sexuality for that matter. It's a very complicated thing to try and make sense of. Nature and nurture play a but part I believe, but it is also you as an individual. Nature and nurture's role could either help someone find themselves or completely throw them off track and make it even harder for the person.

As an example,
QUOTE(Lokiva @ Jan 20 2012, 02:12 PM) *
...people are pressured to /not be gay/ throughout their childhood years I believe people can get confused halfway through life. Right now, I cannot tell whether or not I am attracted to girls or guys because I have been pressured by my society (Catholic schools/family) to like men, but there are some women who I think I might be attracted to. I am confused, but I know that I would accept either path should that prove to be what I actually am.

Is exactly what I am going through right now. I am a white, cis female who has never been in a relationship, so I have not been able to further figure out who I am attracted too most, if any. Perhaps I am pan-romanic, because I can find people of all genders, non-binary, gender-fluid, etc attracting (maybe?? because I cannot tell if I am acknowledging their outward beauty/personality/who they are or if it is something more) and be asexual, but who knows? I know for a fact that my family and friends are a very accepting bunch, several of them being gay or trans* themselves, yet for some reason I still deny myself.

This post has been edited by Mosica: Dec 7 2013, 08:52 PM

--------------------

Credit for my avatar goes to Cycloneblaze

Black Rock Shooter, where did you go?
+Quote Post

wildmanjesse
post Jan 29 2014, 12:32 PM
Post #37

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 213 768

Active Squad

I think this is a huge debate maybe even bigger than Homosexuality itself and i am friends with a few gays and they are always bullied to the point where they almost committed suicide so I don't think anyone would purposefully choose a lifestyle that is always look down upon. So I think they are born gay because it makes no sense why people would choose the road that leaves to bullying and being hated. I am a christian and I support Gay marriage because Christians now days miss interpret the Bible when it comes to homosexuality thinking that being gay is a sing when that is not true the sin is marrying the same sex or sleeping with them but at the end I still think that people are born gay.
+Quote Post

Erens
post Mar 11 2014, 09:27 PM
Post #38

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 216 453

Active Squad

sexuality is very fluid. it can change at any point in life. but it is DEFINITELY not a "choice", it's something out of your control that you can't help but feel. there's no such thing as "choosing" to be gay or straight. it just happens, whether it happens when you are born, or when you're 30, its different for every individual. people do change, people that are attracted to males may grow to be attracted to females, or people that are attracted to everyone may end up being attracted to no one (asexuality). i think this because of my personal experience.
+Quote Post

flamefiends
post Jun 6 2014, 06:06 PM
Post #39

Flamefriends
Group Icon

Member No.: 200 466

My Dream Team~

It's never a choice when one falls in love, regardless of gender. Your body creates a hormone that makes you feel in love based on the other person's physical features and their ferimones. If one is a guy and one feels attracted to another guy, that's because one's brain says that the other guy is worth loving. Now, why one's brain says that can be for a number of reasons, but it's NEVER a choice. One can't just tell their brain that one likes this person, their brain makes the choice for them, sometimes against their will. I have no respect for those who believe being <insert type of sexuality here> is a choice.

--------------------
Wait, who's "Flame?" I see no "Flame" here, and I doubt there ever will be a "Flame," in plain sight or otherwise. Besides, you wouldn't call, sweet, precious Flare by any other name, would you?

You want to read my webcomic? (click to show)
+Quote Post

Mercutio3
post Jun 10 2014, 02:59 AM
Post #40

The third and only!
Group Icon

Member No.: 56 656

Kiwis

Well, I think that everybody's brain is completely different. While some people may easily know what sexuality they are, others may not. For those people that don't know what sexuality they are, it's probably a little less natural. And some people are not as good at tuning in to themselves as others. Those who are not as good at being in touch with their natural/true feelings may identify with a sexuality that isn't naturally how they are, and possibly never know. Also, there's the different levels of attraction and mistaking one level for another, and the whole "w0w i cld nv3r b gai w0w itz a sin aganste bibel w0w" complex that some Christians (well, there are probably some people of other faiths as well...) seem to have, so they suppress any natural feelings to the point where any thoughts are simply "temptations," or maybe they just pretend they aren't having those thoughts. Don't know.

So I guess what I'm saying is that while sexuality itself isn't really a choice, people can try to force themselves into another mold (I feel bad for those people), and for other people, their sexuality isn't as crystal clear. I actually kind of envy people who without a shadow of a doubt are one-hundred-and-ten-percent sure of their gender identity and sexuality, and have been for quite some time.

--------------------

Credits!! (click to show)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:50 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.