Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
What do you think of smokers?
Acacia21
post Jun 3 2011, 06:03 PM
Post #1

Eevee is cuh-yute
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 104 927

Phi Phi

Sorry if there is already a thread like this, I didn't see one.

Ok what do you think of smoking? I hate smokers. There's no point and it just ruins your health. I don't get why people have to smoke. It's bad for people to smoke around other people, second-hand smoking is bad. There's completely no point in smoking. You just waste money, and it affects your health. People should stop smoking these days. It's way better to live a healthy lifestyle. So what do you think of smokers?

--------------------
My party!

Shinies (click to show)

Azurill sprite made by AkuseruChan

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Jun 3 2011, 07:54 PM
Post #2

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

*shrug* people just like smoking, i mean soda's bad for you and it pretty much leads to kidney stones in excess but people like it and drink it a lot. Can't really dictate what people do and don't like.

I don't mind cigarette smoke in public either. Just too much and I'll either leave or ask the other person to leave or be more mindful, but of it tastes good in my mouth in small doses (as odd as that sounds) so I mean... it's not that big a deal.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Carefactorzero
post Jun 3 2011, 08:20 PM
Post #3

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 19 837

Active Squad

Honestly, I have nothing against them, and I don't really care if they want to shorten their lives by taking up the habit and sticking to it. There's more reasons besides peer pressure; some use it as a means of escaping stress, and if it works for them -- well, good! There are other alternatives, but for all you know, they could've been tried with no positive result.

The only reason I would have to despise smokers: lack of courtesy. My parents used to smoke in the car when my sister and I were kids, and we'd be breathing it in the majority of the time -- until we persistently became a nuisance to drive with in terms of forcing them to break the habit of smoking behind the wheel. Yes, we really hated having to put up with it, and even though we were kids, we were well aware of how inconsiderate they were at the time, and it did hurt in a way that they seemed to not think it through. They used to smoke inside as well, so we'd forever be breathing in smoke wherever we were, with the exception of school. I suppose my parents are the sole reason I despise inconsiderate smokers, but other than that, I really have nothing against them.

I'm sure the rest is self-explanatory in the category of courtesy, so I won't elaborate.

+Quote Post

Empty Vessel
post Jun 7 2011, 11:02 AM
Post #4

It takes skill to lose to Magikarp
Group Icon

Member No.: 26 311

HG Team

personally I dont care about the person's choice of smoking and such, being it is their choice and not mine, but like Matt Cat said, some use it to escape stress, I use second hand smoke to do that, sadly, but yeah, they know the dangers and such, so yeah, I dont smoke and proud of it, dont need too much of that junk in me
Also, I won't completely avoid a smoker, espcially if they are a friend being its not a big bothersome to me being I am use to it from my mom smoking and now my brother smoking

--------------------

please feed him(the cherry berry), i want to complete this exploration soon!

V Blog+Poetry+Art V
http://a11j09c.weebly.com/

PM me, I get very bored at times and will be fun to talk grin.gif. Also i could use some friends on here :P

+Quote Post

Amberfunk
post Jun 9 2011, 08:53 PM
Post #5

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 105 850

Beautiful Change

If people choose to smoke that's their business. The only time I have a problem with it is if it's a family member who is smoking because I care about their health. I also care when people who smoke seem to have no common courtesy for others who do not smoke. I don't want to have to hold my breath when I walk downtown or other places outside.

--------------------

Credits (click to show)
+Quote Post

ShrapnelStars
post Jun 9 2011, 10:50 PM
Post #6

Well, I wish I'd wished you well
Group Icon

Member No.: 4 143

Let Us In

It's a bit obnoxious when they all cluster right in front of the door to my building where all of my classes are, or they hide out in coves around the area and scare the crap out of me when I barely notice them (though the latter is minor and a bit funny).

It definitely boils down to courtesy, just as everyone else has said. My grandfather always steps outside to smoke when I'm visiting him. I appreciate that. (although he had quit altogether for 18 years and just started it back recently, but that's another story.)

The Law majors at my school, while I understand how difficult and stressful their lives and classes are, I'd still appreciate it if they wouldn't all crowd directly in front of all the entrances to the buildings so that a person has to breathe it in on the way to every class. (I hold my breath, but you understand what I'm trying to say. Hopefully.) Spread out a little, at least. :/

I wish there were more stress relieving activities in the world that didn't hurt people. It hurts me to sit and watch some of the people I care about shortening their lives. I know that everyone dies in the end, but I wish some people wouldn't expedite the process or increase their chances of a painful exit.

--------------------
+Quote Post

somnivore
post Jun 9 2011, 11:01 PM
Post #7

Super high-level high school fanfic author!
Group Icon

Member No.: 32 575

GymLeaderDreamParty

This is one of those really polarizing issues! Basically, I think it's okay to smoke or to not smoke. That's a person's choice. I don't think it's okay to tell people whether or not they should smoke because it's unhealthy: I'm willing to bet that most people who smoke are well aware of the health risks of smoking.

My allergies tend to get set off by cigarette smoke, so I do wish the people around me wouldn't smoke near me, but honestly it's none of my business as long as they don't blow the smoke in my face or smoke in the house.

...I really have no idea what kind of point I'm trying to make. Basically, I wish people wouldn't smoke, but I have no room to tell them not to as long as they're not hurting anyone (except, well, themselves--because it's their choice).

--------------------

add me to your pal pad for daily clicks!
hablo un poco de espańol & je parle un petit peu de français!

+Quote Post

NinjaFish
post Jun 10 2011, 09:37 AM
Post #8

The Shadowy Fish Monster
Group Icon

Member No.: 94 929

Active Squad

In my opinion, it's just really a matter of choice. If they choose to smoke, fine, but they take risks in doing so. Y'know, like cancer, and stuff. I pretty much ignore them if I see them outside on the streets or around. The smoke does get to me, but it's not that bad. It smells weird though.

However, if a family member smokes, I bug them so much they decide to quit. It's because I can't bear to see them killing themselves off with cigarettes. >_> And I will never smoke. Thanks to 7th grade science. My teacher showed us a video of a cancer operation... and it is disgusting. *barfs* If I wasn't turned off from smoking, I am now.

So that's basically the brunt of my opinion.

--------------------

"All our hate / All our rage / Every feeling that we cage / It only grows with age / Where have we fallen?"
- Centurion by Wolfgun

Pokemon (click to show)
+Quote Post

Beedrill
post Jun 10 2011, 10:04 AM
Post #9

Squawk! Squawk!
Group Icon

Member No.: 15 460

Current AS Team

It's up to them. I personally hate smoking, though. While I see that soda can lead to kidney stones, smoking can lead to death. Blackening lungs and cancer and taste buds dying and teeth turning gross, soda kinda only does that last one, but only if you don't brush. :/ Smoking does it all.
My grandma smokes. She's a little nutty, but I love her. I worry about how much she smokes - she's poor and old. I know it's hard to break the habit, but I just wish she didn't do it. :/
It can make people jumpy or irritated if they don't have a smoke every now and then, they constantly have to take smoke breaks, buy new packs, etc. I just don't think it's worth it. And kids think it's cool to smoke...It's going to lead to sooo many problems: with their parents (if they care), with their future (if they care), with their health (see previous points). It's a pretty bad habit and I think less people should smoke. :/ Jus' sayin'.

--------------------
hello. . .
+Quote Post

Yanderes of Prus...
post Jun 11 2011, 08:16 PM
Post #10

Denmark x Belarus new OTP! (lolno, still DenNor)
Group Icon

Member No.: 143 027

WHY NO 5TH GEN?

As many people have said here, I feel that smoking is up to the smoker him/herself. Smoking is a disgusting habit though, IMO. I hate walking down the streets and getting smoke up my nose. It's such a destructive habit; the only reason many people do it is probably due to peer pressure or simply having the mindset that it will help you "fit in".

--------------------
Formerly known as CloudCuckooLander.

The Nordic Club is the most exclusive club ever, nobody can join! (except maybe Epicstonia)

+Quote Post

Raphael Dreamson...
post Jun 11 2011, 09:57 PM
Post #11

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 143 053

Active Squad

I'm a smoker. There's nothing that can deter me from smoking, no manner of ads or warning labels. I feel bad for those around me who have to suffer, so I'm pretty considerate of my habit. I don't smoke indoors, I obey the law when it comes to smoking. I don't smoke around children. I don't smoke around people who don't smoke. It is a waste of money though, and I will quit someday soon.

--------------------
+Quote Post

AuraMasterNeal
post Jun 23 2011, 08:08 PM
Post #12

The Master of Aura
Group Icon

Member No.: 43 575

GODS

I think smoking should be advertized as a murder drug. Smoking is a devil.gif thing.

--------------------
I joined this site on July 7th, 2009. I feel old.

Keeping a journal archive since 2013.

"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." -Mewtwo

Tributes, Awards, and Otherwise (click to show)
+Quote Post

Iconox
post Jun 23 2011, 09:34 PM
Post #13

Romantic Misanthropist
Group Icon

Member No.: 34 260

Legend League

It's an addiction just like any other: it just kills you slower. I don't mind smokers; however, due to my sensory-motor integration, the fumes they produce deter me from being around them.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Surt
post Jun 28 2011, 10:00 PM
Post #14

I reject your reality, it lacks death rays!
Group Icon

Member No.: 144 397

Sky and Sea

To be honest I have no issues with smokers in general. They can be fine and decent people and they can be horrid, obnoxious, louts. Yes smoking is and addiction, yes smoking is bad for you, but its their choice. They chose to try it and they chose to continue and it's entirely their business so long as they dont bring others into it through peer pressure or just horrid obnoxiousness (that type of person who deliberately blows smoke in your face and such)

--------------------
I am... (click to show)
+Quote Post

Kookie Monster
post Jun 30 2011, 12:21 PM
Post #15

Stalking like a Weeping Angel
Group Icon

Member No.: 889

COOKIE Team

What they do with their own body, is not my problem. Most smokers know its bad, but cannot be bothered with the pain of quitting and any type of addiction is hard to handle.

The other half of smokers, just don't care and put pleasure above health. Most of the time, worrying does nothing to help you or that person. They've made the choice, let them deal with the consequences.

--------------------

IRC NICKS: Fudge, Kookie, Adam West, RedIce

+Quote Post

Eternal Nocturne
post Jun 30 2011, 03:09 PM
Post #16

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 74 007

<3

Smokers know what they're doing to themselves. The warnings are everywhere. Many people who smoke do so not because they want to hurt themselves, but because they're addicted to it or smoke to relieve stress.

I don't like it when smokers smoke when there are other people around. They're hurting themselves by smoking -- that's fine because it's their choice -- but when there are other non-smokers involved, we get hurt too. And that's not our choice.

I wouldn't hate a person because they smoke, though. I might dislike their action of smoking, but hating their entire person isn't reasonable.

--------------------
+Quote Post

kenneth1221
post Jun 30 2011, 03:19 PM
Post #17

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 127 427

Active Squad

It's their own life their ruining. If it was my friend, I'd definitely try and save them from themselves. I wouldn't be able to help strangers though.

However, second-hand smoke is really bad for you. Sadly, you can't sue for it.

Addiction is another matter. Addicts need help, and hopefully choose a better path.

I've heard it's a huge drain on money.

Residual smoke hangs around and poisons everyone for a while though.

If a smoker stops when asked to, I'd be fine with their manners. If not...

If a smoker friend of mine avoided smoking around me and didn't try to tempt me, I'd be fine. If not...

It all depends on whether the smoker is a jerk as a person or not.

--------------------
VDex:

GPX+

My party here
because I am a supporter of the Department of Redundancy Department.
+Quote Post

lorks
post Jul 4 2011, 11:23 AM
Post #18

Faberry
Group Icon

Member No.: 72 645

Shinies

An extremely paraphrased argument with a smoker I had over here in the UK.

-Person smoking, sitting on bench doing nothing-
Me: Hey, can you stop smoking, this is a public place?
Smoker: No thanks, I can do what I want. This smoking ban's stupid.
Me: Why's that?
Smoker: It's against our human rights. They can't control me. I get to choose, I don't care about lung cancer.
Me: And it's against my human rights for you to smoke here, passing it on to me, and possibly increasing my chances of a multitude of diseases.
Smoker: Why don't you move?
Me: No, I'm waiting for someone in that shop. You're not.
Smoker: Whatever it's my choice. Smoking isn't illegal.
Me: Actually, it is here, in a public place. And what would you think is cocaine or heroin was legalised?
Smoker: Well no, that's bad for you, bu-
Me: So is smoking.
Smoker: It can't be that bad if the government's not made it illegal.
Me: It's only legal because they make so much money off the VAT.
Smoker: Oh whatever, stupid kids
-Smoker gets up and walks away-

Fuck smokers who don't try to quit, I hope they all get lung cancer and die. And I mean that, I don't care if I offend you.

--------------------
i always click back

--

+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Jul 4 2011, 11:45 AM
Post #19

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

... then why don't you get the manager to make him move? At any rate, not all of those "fuck the rules IM SMOKIN" are actually like that.

Besides, I don't think you actually know what it's like to quit something like smoking. I don't either, but I can imagine it's fucking painful to do so. Yes, it is a human right, but they shouldn't be smoking in public places at all.

Me: And what would you think is cocaine or heroin was legalised?
Smoker: Well no, that's bad for you, bu-
Me: So is smoking.
Smoker: It can't be that bad if the government's not made it illegal.
Come on, you're bringing the fuckin drug war into this? It's completely irrelevant.

At least with smoking you have a ton of potential not to hurt people (a little second hand smoke isn't bad for you at all, and you won't even see much since most people follow the laws about smoking in a public place anyway). With heroin and cocaine, you pretty much lose your mind and go aggressive on people simply because of addiction (the addiction being caused by fucking with the part of the brain that feels pleasure).

Me: It's only legal because they make so much money off the VAT.
Not only does this apply to anything that sells a shitload of stuff but it doesn't explain why the US cares so much considering how low our VAT/sales tax is.

--------------------
+Quote Post

shou75
post Jul 4 2011, 03:56 PM
Post #20

Chillin Like a Villain
Group Icon

Member No.: 61 630

Burning clouds

lawl if they smoke they smoke, all you can really do is say hey smoking is bad for you and let them be after that.
Cant really dislike somebody just cause they smoke if you do that's ridiculous.

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:20 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.