Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
"Under God" in the Pledge
Lord Raven
post May 24 2012, 03:05 AM
Post #41

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

There is no fucking way you are serious if you are copy+pasting the exact same content from a previous post.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

FirePower
post May 25 2012, 08:51 AM
Post #42

Feel the burn!
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 63 077

My Dream Team

QUOTE(Not a Moron)
I also believe that if it stays, it shouldn't be mandatory to say, as I have gotten in some minor trouble for simply staying quiet during the "Under God" part.
Technically, it's not mandatory to say. You can't be forced to say any part of the pledge, put your hand over your heart, or even stand up. You have the freedoms of speech and religion. If somebody makes you say the pledge or punishes you for not doing so, they're violating your rights.

As for whether it should should stay or not, I'm fine with keeping it. A big part of it is that I'm Christian, but if you don't have to say it, then I don't see what the big deal is. As it is, if we remove "Under God" From the Pledge, the people who didn't want the part gone will probably get mad and start fighting with the people who wanted it gone, and then where would we be?

--------------------
I am a Christian. Jesus Christ loves me, and he loves you too. With a "never stopping, never giving up, unbreaking, always and forever love" (Jesus Storybook Bible).

Click the trainer card to get to my PANE current levels post!

My Stories (click to show)

Avitar Credits (click to show)

Previously known as Hurple and Drakonawin
+Quote Post

Hitaka5Ever
post Jun 7 2012, 03:54 AM
Post #43

is deep in Hitaka Hell
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 97 935

Battle Subway Team

I do NOT like "under God" in the pledge because I'm atheist. I never said it in school because of that reason. I once was accused of not doing it because I "hate America", which isn't true at all. As much as it sucks to be in such a divided country, I prefer living here. I had to explain to everyone in the class that I don't do the pledge because of "under God". My school didn't force us to say it, but we had to at least stand--which I never did--

--------------------

Need Social Network? PM me; 14/48
You can call me Sladin or Rocky (:
Please do not use my icon for your personal use. Thank you happy.gif
+Quote Post

strictlyninja
post Jun 19 2012, 02:43 PM
Post #44

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 99 806

Party

Does it mean that this nation was FOUNDED under God, or that we ARE a nation under God?

Always confused me...

--------------------

Click us! (click to show)
+Quote Post

Vixenite
post Oct 4 2012, 07:41 AM
Post #45

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 119 451

Active Squad

QUOTE(Reyo @ Sep 30 2011, 03:24 PM) *
QUOTE(Skins T @ Sep 30 2011, 04:22 AM) *
The currency here (as an example) had a fair bit of change done to it when the last one happened.

Yes, its indeed controversial, but not impossible, that's all I mean. ^^;

What caught my attention was "I see no harm in doing that whatsoever."

Yes, there is very much harm that can come from doing it. Very much many harm. That's what I was pointing out.

There IS absolutely no harm, you seem to have no grasp on what phasing out means. It'd take a while to happen, but eventually it'd be really rare to see the old forms of money. It wouldn't be a painful process or anything of the sort, nor stressful financial-wise. The only harm would be from religious people who have no right for their "god" to be on our money and in our pledge anyway.

--------------------
+Quote Post

The Winnebago
post Oct 4 2012, 08:34 PM
Post #46

Recreational Vehicle
Group Icon

Member No.: 82 857

Pokemans Favourite

I've lost enough faith in America that I don't even say the pledge any more.
+Quote Post

Aves Dominari
post Oct 5 2012, 12:40 PM
Post #47

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 174 276

Caelum Venatores

I never really cared about the Pledge of America (it's silly to assume that people will actually remain faithful to a pledge they repeated to avoid getting in trouble when they were teens, anyway) and I don't care that we're a nation 'under God.' It really isn't that big of a deal; yeah, my nickel says 'In God We Trust,' but just by holding that nickel I'm not a Christian. As long as I'm not forced to adopt Christian values simply because they're Christian ones or Christian practices just because they're Christian ones, I don't care what they print on our money. It just isn't worth making a fuss over.
+Quote Post

The Unholy Diver
post Oct 7 2012, 03:03 PM
Post #48

The asteriotypical one
Group Icon

From: The wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell
Member No.: 161 989

Z's Team (so far)

QUOTE(Aves Dominari @ Oct 5 2012, 10:40 AM) *
I never really cared about the Pledge of America (it's silly to assume that people will actually remain faithful to a pledge they repeated to avoid getting in trouble when they were teens, anyway) and I don't care that we're a nation 'under God.' It really isn't that big of a deal; yeah, my nickel says 'In God We Trust,' but just by holding that nickel I'm not a Christian. As long as I'm not forced to adopt Christian values simply because they're Christian ones or Christian practices just because they're Christian ones, I don't care what they print on our money. It just isn't worth making a fuss over.

I have to agree with this. Just because it is written on our money and said in our pledge, doesn't necisarily mean we HAVE to believe in it. Like many other posters said before, if you don't believe in it, don't say it.

--------------------
Thanks to the mobile site, I'm back on gpx!

I CAN CLICK BACK NOW

credit (click to show)
+Quote Post

tehriah
post Nov 19 2012, 04:20 PM
Post #49

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 18 464

Favorites

Not to revive a dead topic, but would you feel the same if you were expected to say Under Allah? Or Under Vishnu? Under Odin? Under Amateratsu? Because there is a very large portion of America that feels as silly about pledging their allegiance to the Christian God as you would to an Indian elephant.

In my opinion, it should be taken out because this is not one nation under any particular god, and to say otherwise is an insult to anyone who isn't Christian. You would feel silly saying the pledge in the name of Jupiter. It demeans the pledge. It sucks all of the seriousness out. How can I pledge anything to my county in one breath when I'm rolling my eyes in the next?

It's an unnecessary addition born of xenophobic fear that has long, long since outlived it's purpose. We, as a country, should be beyond this by now. Separation of church and state unless you're actually reciting the national pledge makes absolutely no sense.

--------------------
--> Help them grow! <--
I always return all clicks and always feed the right berry. 8)

I'm searching for lab legends! If you have a spare chest, I would appreciate a PM.
I can breed absolutely any rare and/or novelty in return.
+Quote Post

MikaChan
post Nov 30 2012, 12:26 PM
Post #50

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 156 602

Active Squad

The country was founded by Christians, but it was made for religious freedom. There isn't as much tolerance as there should, but more and more people are being atheist. As for the pledge, I've never had a problem with it. Most of the students in my highly religious school, or at least my classes, just said it to see who could say it fastest. I'd say take it out, but the government wouldn't do anything.
+Quote Post

SilverLugia456
post Nov 30 2012, 02:00 PM
Post #51

None
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 102 120

Top Favorites

I think this is one of those debates that will never be solved because there are many opinions and many beliefs that clash, I was always brought up to say the pledge not because of what was written in it but because of the the Pledge represent or means to this country. I know there are people out there who have their own ideals and beliefs, but the big picture in my opinion isn't about what is written in the pledge its about what the pledge represents. The pledge is said in memory of those who fought for this country so that we could be a free country. That is the personal reason why i say the pledge, because when I say it I remember those who went to war and died trying to make sure that us as a free nation kept our freedom and our rights.

This post has been edited by SilverLugia456: Nov 30 2012, 02:01 PM

--------------------

Visit my youtube Page: SilverLugia345

GPXplus Groups Joined (click to show)

Contest Ribbons and Credits (click to show)
+Quote Post

jellybean chi
post Mar 19 2013, 11:36 PM
Post #52

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 184 458

Avengers Assemble!

i don't know a ton about american history but i know enough to say this country was founded on Christian morals, based on those from the Reformation of the holy roman empire. they don't teach that in a lot of public schools anymore, though. that it was based on Christian morals. postmodernism, and all that crap, is really corrupting teaching and stuff. i think it should stay in the pledge as a country tradition, but if you don't want to say it, then i don't think anyone should be expected to say it. i mean, i wouldn't say it if i were expected to pledge to allah or buddha etc, but i believe that the pledge speaks truth and therefore, even if "under God" is taken out, then I will always say it anyway.
+Quote Post

The Shadow
post Mar 20 2013, 02:13 PM
Post #53

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Member No.: 79 425

My Dream Team

Here's the way I see it. You should have respect for our country; and if the pledge bothers you...

Move out.

If we were in Nazi Germany, would there be an 'optional' Hail Hitler?

I don't believe so.

It may be tedious, but I do it twice in a day so deal with it. Any part of the pledge should be respected as much as any other, but it is indeed optional in most places to say 'under god'. On the same note as jellybean chi, this country WAS founded of christian morals. If you can't respect that...

Once again, move out.

--------------------

Wanna dance? (click to show)
+Quote Post

The Shadow
post Mar 20 2013, 04:14 PM
Post #54

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Member No.: 79 425

My Dream Team

The "under god" part is optional, and the only religion it is not "respecting" would be atheism.

Many, many people believe in at least one god or another. The "under god" respects every religion under that category. It is OPTIONAL to say "under god". There is no reason for a horrible drawn out debate over it. Either say it or don't, it's your choice.

--------------------

Wanna dance? (click to show)
+Quote Post

callmeish
post Apr 3 2013, 02:51 AM
Post #55

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 194 563

Active Squad

My school doesn't "do" the Pledge of Allegiance. There's no morning announcements or anything where it would happen. Sometimes assemblies or sports games will have the national anthem, but I don't even remember the last time I heard the pledge said aloud. Which is totally fine with me. I'm rather apathetic towards it. When I went to a school where it was a thing, I said it because it was routine. I think anyone who chooses not to say it shouldn't have to, and it really has no business in public schools to begin with, but removing it is more effort than it's worth when it's not a big deal at all.

--------------------
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:01 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.