Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Swearing, No big deal or just plain bad?
Do you cuss?
Do you ever cuss? If so, how much?
No, I don't cuss. [ 9 ]  [8.11%]
Yes, all the time. [ 26 ]  [23.42%]
Yes, but very rarley. [ 12 ]  [10.81%]
Yes, with some moderation. [ 34 ]  [30.63%]
Yes, with a lot of moderation. [ 12 ]  [10.81%]
Yes, but only when my parent's aren't around. [ 8 ]  [7.21%]
Yes, but only when I really want to get a point across. [ 10 ]  [9.01%]
Total Votes: 111
Guests cannot vote 

FirePower
post Aug 23 2011, 07:20 PM
Post #1

Feel the burn!
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 63 077

My Dream Team

Face it, almost everybody cusses. From the people who use cuss word in everyday speech to the people who would use them only when they're angry beyond belief. This topic's about whether or not said words should really be used in speech. Discuss.

Personally I've only cussed once- and I was like eight and didn't know said word happened to be a cuss word. All in all I'm against cussing, and won't use any word I know to be a cuss word. Really they're just words, but it's the meanings of said words that makes them bad words. Way back in the day before it became a cuss word an ass was a wild horse or donkey. When speaking of that specific definition I can say it without a second though, but otherwise I wouldn't if my life depended on (okay, maybe if my life depended on it, but you get the point.). Really they aren't all that bad until you use them to cross, and then it completely loses it's innocent and becomes something I have trouble tolerating, especially when it's used a lot more than necessary. Not to mention my parents would kill me if they ever caught me cussing.

Eit: Okay, I was wrong about how much I've cussed. At this point in time, I don't remember if I lied or these instaces just failed to cross my mind. There was at least one other time that I cussed without realizing it, and in middle school I cussed a lot when nobody was listening. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have made this thread.

This post has been edited by FirePower: Sep 12 2013, 02:13 PM

--------------------
I am a Christian. Jesus Christ loves me, and he loves you too. With a "never stopping, never giving up, unbreaking, always and forever love" (Jesus Storybook Bible).

Click the trainer card to get to my PANE current levels post!

My Stories (click to show)

Avitar Credits (click to show)

Previously known as Hurple and Drakonawin
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

BarkingChaos
post Aug 23 2011, 10:35 PM
Post #2

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 112 100

Sandshrew Army

I personally do not verbally curse, but I have been known to type them sometimes :/

Anyway, I do not care if someone else curses. They can say what they want.

I hate to say it, but you are wrong about the meaning of a word making it a curse. Its the CONTEXT. Two completely different things. Yes, some curses have become mangled over the years from something innocent to something crude, but you can turn any word into a curse. Darn, a nicer form of damn, is still a curse in context. You are just swapping one word for another. Same difference. I realize this statement kinda contradicts my first sentence but whatever.
+Quote Post

Rainbowtalon
post Aug 25 2011, 03:27 AM
Post #3

Meganium11 RULES!
Group Icon

Member No.: 138 671

Pokemon

The only time I've typed a curse word is when I was making a forum and actually blocking those words, not really swearing.

--------------------
~Proud Member of

I claim Pidgeotto! pidgeotto.gif
+Quote Post

Dazmi
post Aug 25 2011, 03:35 AM
Post #4

Veteran
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 2 482

Active Squad

I don't think swearing is necessarily bad. They say there's a time and place for everything, and for me, it's only bad when in certain situations. It's fine to swear at with your friends, but you shouldn't swear when you're at home, school, work(?), church, etc.

Saying that, swear words can be kind of annoying when used too often. I once knew someone who used "fuck" in every sentence possible whether it made sense to do so or not. So yeah, that's when swearing is unwanted for me.

As for me, I first started swearing when I was 7. South Park was very popular with very young kids...so...there you go, potty mouth obtained! I probably would've added swears to my vocabulary around that time anyways since it isn't that unusual for kids around that age to swear (at least that's the case for my time/school). I stopped my excessive swearing when I was 9 thanks to discipline. Even today I rarely ever swear, I guess it's a habitual thing.

This post has been edited by Dazmi: Aug 25 2011, 05:33 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Sharkosaurus
post Aug 26 2011, 08:36 PM
Post #5

Gentleman Bastard
Group Icon

Member No.: 93 071

smogon ban genies pls

IMO, I don't think swearing is really that bad. Sure it's rude, but it's also just an expression. Like saying, "This soup is so f*cking tasty." It implies that the soup is really tasty. Think of it as an exaggeration.

For me, I've started blurting out the F word ever since I was in 4th grade. Don't worry, I've been cussing with moderation when I reached 6th grade.

Also, I have no idea why they turned ass into a curse word. It used to mean donkey, butnow it means butt. unsure.gif

This post has been edited by The Frozen Dictator: Aug 26 2011, 08:36 PM

--------------------
ayy
+Quote Post

Calming Madman
post Aug 26 2011, 11:35 PM
Post #6

FINISH HIM.
Group Icon

Member No.: 131 527

3rd Street Saints

Hell yes >(

--------------------

Credit to cycloneblaze and NegativeDiamond.

I used to be a adventurer like you, until I took a arrow to the knee.
+Quote Post

Dragonflames1994
post Aug 27 2011, 11:20 AM
Post #7

Dragonflame1994 is a fake
Group Icon

Member No.: 119 057

Interrupting Rayquaza

Personally, I hate swearing. Some say it's "Just a word", but it's very offensive. I've never swore in my life except when I was five and asked my parents an extremely personal question using a swear word that I mistook for a verb. ._.

--------------------
Click below for my party.

My legit shiny female Haxorus is awesome.
Ask me something on formspring.

+Quote Post

roygbiv
post Aug 27 2011, 03:11 PM
Post #8

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 125 915

hg team

i cuss pretty rarley in public and i have only said gods name in vien once or twice,im not offended by cusswords but i kinda do when they say gods name in vein,i rarley cuss in public bacause it offends other people.and i still dont do it much at home because it has become a habit.

--------------------
pokemon white friend code 3096 0916 2525
+Quote Post

Sadin
post Aug 28 2011, 12:32 AM
Post #9

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 149 251

Active Squad

ill admit to cussing like a sailor most of my life, and only putting any filter on it when around certain family members like my grand parents or something, parents never mined because well, where do ya think i got my vocabulary from? haha.

as for the worlds view on it, my opinion to this subject has always been "whats the big deal?" I mean think about it, they are words. a simple combination of letters that formulate a pronunciation of sound forming a word. just as any word of any language, they only mean as much as the person hearing the word chooses to grant. cuss words are only so offensive because people choose to give the words the power to be offensive. end point being, the words them selves are not bad, people them selves make them bad.

--------------------
Flood my ears with musical sound so i can feel like my feet have left the earth's troubled ground

+Quote Post

Giyuu Tomioka
post Aug 28 2011, 11:54 AM
Post #10

Professional forum lurker
Group Icon

Member No.: 146 077

how

I swear alot and I personally hate people who don't like someone just because they cuss.I mean it's just dumb and it's words.WORDS ARE STUPID TRY THE MIDDLE FINGER IT'S MORE AFFECTIVE IF YOU WANNA MAKE THEM MAD.

--------------------

credits (click to show)
I've changed my display name alot.
Feel free to PM me for anything.
+Quote Post

The Unholy Diver
post May 25 2012, 07:15 PM
Post #11

The asteriotypical one
Group Icon

From: The wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell
Member No.: 161 989

Z's Team (so far)

I swear sometimes.
Usualy, with a large vocabulary, i don't find the need to cuss. I don't usualy do it because words can have power.
Of course, when i'm with my friends, i use profanity all the time. It blows off steam, relieves stress, expresses anger, etc. It is also fun to do something im not supposed to.
It is a constitutional right for a reason.
Just don't use profanity words around your parents.

--------------------
Thanks to the mobile site, I'm back on gpx!

I CAN CLICK BACK NOW

credit (click to show)
+Quote Post

Poqle McBeth
post May 25 2012, 11:09 PM
Post #12

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 158 474

Active Squad

Curse words, to me, are simple words and nothing more or less to me. I use them moderately, as I do with the rest of my vocabulary. To be honest, any words said excessively begin to bug me eventually.

--------------------
everybody's doing it
+Quote Post

Dmitri
post May 26 2012, 12:13 PM
Post #13

Lecherous Demon
Group Icon

Member No.: 155 791

Team Scourge

Cussing is fine. I cuss all the time, in every possible context. Not to say I use fuck to describe everything, but you can usually count on me to say atleast one "swear" in any conversation.

The one thing that does bother me is people who gasp and stare at you when you cuss, as if it's blasphemy and you're a terrible person if you cuss. Cussing is not a huge deal IMHO, but that's probably because I grew up with siblings 8 years older than me and they cussed 24/7. Not necessarily at me or anything, just in general. Like another person stated, you could use it as an emphasis. "This (noun) is fucking (positive/negative adjective)!"

I don't exactly condone cussing, but I'm definitely not against it and I especially don't make a point to correct people. "OMG U JUS SAYD THE F WARD!!" just highly annoys me.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Hitaka5Ever
post Jun 7 2012, 03:47 AM
Post #14

is deep in Hitaka Hell
Group Icon

Member No.: 97 935

Battle Subway Team

I swear often, though I am trying to cut back on using "fuck" constantly. Now I'm trying to say "frig" because it doesn't sound as harsh. I don't mind people swearing. I never consider the meaning or definition of a swear word. I just consider it a word. I do swear a lot in writing when I'm really angry, either at something or someone, though. I am trying not to swear as much verbally, especially around my family--my parents don't care, but I'm talking about the rest of the family-- My sister gets mad when I say g**dammit, but I ignore her because I'm not religious and don't care if I say it--I censored it here just to be nice-- So yeah, I'm trying to moderately use swearing instead of excessively, which I have been doing since high school

--------------------

Need Social Network? PM me; 14/48
You can call me Sladin or Rocky (:
Please do not use my icon for your personal use. Thank you happy.gif
+Quote Post

Yuno Gasai
post Jun 7 2012, 05:01 AM
Post #15

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 77 547

Active Squad

Swearing isn't something I really think about when I talk unless I'm making a conscious effort not to swear around professionals or certain relatives or children. I really don't see it as a big deal or understand why someone would be offended.

What really annoys me is the way my dad doesn't like me swearing and JUST ME. My brother curses like hell but my dad doesn't like hearing me do it too often purely because "it's not very lady like" facepalm.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

Yamper
post Jun 8 2012, 07:53 AM
Post #16

Axew and Volcarona enthusiast
Group Icon

Member No.: 61 211

Invisible Kyurem

I swear a lot. But it's not all this 'fuck', word. It's mostly words like 'bastard', 'bloody hell', 'bollocks', although the last one is probably worse than the first 2. I'm not one to outloud say 'fuck this', 'fucking hell' etc. There is a time and place to swear, and certainly the place not to do it is in the street with kids about, or anywhere with young children about as a matter of fact.

I accept when people are angry or agitated by something they have a tendency to swear more, seeing as I do it myself, I can't be against this. The most I would say is 'fucking hell', 'what the fuck are you doing', 'fucksake'. That's pretty much it and that only comes out if I'm annoyed or something.

However, I personally find it vile when people have to use 'fuck' or some other swear word in every other sentence they speak. There are other words to express your thoughts and feelings without having to rely on using 'fuck', so it's not on. Not on at all. It's wrong, and the fact that children about the age of 3-4 are using these sorts of words it's disgusting. I worked in a primary school for a bit as a work-experience placement a couple of years ago. I spent most of my time there in the younger sections. Reception to Year 2. Which is ages 4/5 - 7/8. The language was horrible and the fact it was my old school it was even worse. I didn't even know HOW to swear until I was at least 14/15 or so. Maybe I was brought up proper I don't know. But the fact that these sort of words were coming from children aged 4 and 5 just made me want to be sick. Most parents are having kids younger nowadays and are swearing around them (or at least where I live anyway), and... yeah. It's just awful.

--------------------

Don't forget to love yourself.
Add me for daily clicks: 873/1000

[align=center]---

Community Thread Shiny List!

---[/align]
[align=right]Breeding Incentives: Mission Cards
[/align]
+Quote Post

SlaughterMelon
post Jun 8 2012, 11:27 AM
Post #17

Hater of Longitude
Group Icon

Member No.: 98 420

My Slices.

I never swear, but that is probably because i'm eleven...

--------------------

won by me in the unearthly trials. also won by me in the unearthly trials.

Thx to Emmathetiger for the awesome Trainer sprite of Spectra!
Sprites (click to show)

+Quote Post

Letan
post Jun 8 2012, 01:45 PM
Post #18

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 1 219

Lugia Hype

It depends on the kind of people that are around me. If it's young kids, then obviously I don't swear, but if I'm just hanging out with friends then I swear pretty often. As someone who was raised in a household where both my parents swore frequently around me and didn't mind so long as I didn't use them at a young age, I'm fine with swearing.

--------------------
[align=center]

=- Game Dev, currently making a game called Cursed Seasons. I tweet about it sometimes. -=
http://cursedseasons.tumblr.com/
Discord is a thing

[/align]
+Quote Post

Kazyx
post Jun 8 2012, 01:57 PM
Post #19

Veteran Kaz would like to battle!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1 227

ElecPsy Team

I tend to swear when I hurt myself or if I'm ticked off. I don't LIKE to curse, but unfortunately I've been doing it a lot more lately, due to issues in my life. I'm not against cursing. People can curse as much as they want, provided it's in a situation that permits it. Not near small children, not near or in a religious location, and certainly not at work. It is uncalled for in those situations.

Today's songs aren't really helping. I'm listening to Maroon 5's Payphone right now (the uncut version), and it has the "S" word and variations of the "F" word, which are only in the music video version and not their album version according to a couple of sites. Still though, people like music videos. Especially children. Due to this, we'll have the younger generations swearing in no time. Kind of disappointing, really.

I never uttered a swear until I was in 8th grade, which was... I'm not even going to count how long ago. SInce then, I've had a potty mouth, but I try to keep it under wraps.

--------------------
Click one of the images below to be directed to my profile on the shown website

+Quote Post

jellybean chi
post Mar 19 2013, 11:51 PM
Post #20

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 184 458

Avengers Assemble!

i try to never cuss because it leaves more of an impression if you're able to get your heated point across without the use of foul language, but then again, they're just words so i never understood what made them "bad." i do cuss under my breath occasionally and i feel stupid, for some reason. and occasionally if i'm sleep-deprived i go into these horrible rages that feel almost demonic... but that's never in front of people.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th March 2024 - 09:11 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.