Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
How do you feel about memes?, Though memes aren't serious this debate is (somewhat)
Why Not Zoidberg
post May 11 2012, 09:32 PM
Post #1

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 163 665

Active Squad

I love memes, though some can be pretty stupid. My favorites are Futurama related ones like "Why not Zoidberg" "Can't tell if ________ or ________" "Shut up and take my money!" and "Sweet ________ of ________!"
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

ShrapnelStars
post May 11 2012, 09:58 PM
Post #2

Well, I wish I'd wished you well
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 4 143

Let Us In

I've always loved reaction memes, such as some of the ones you've stated. Reaction-style ones are pretty fun and are a good form of shorthand across the internet.

I'm not too fond of memes like Nyan-Cat and Rick-Roll, though. You see it once, it might be amusing the first time, and then it just becomes annoying every time after that. Same with other forced ones like "Arrow to the knee" and "The cake is a lie", which were never funny in the first place, IMO. Forced memes and once-and-done memes are my bane. They remind me of someone trying way too hard to be funny.

I like photoshop/artistic ones like "X all the Y", "X, X everywhere", raving, monocles/tophats, etc. because I like to see the different things people come up with. Rave/seizure was my all-time favorite, but it's years dead. XD

This post has been edited by Indoor Survival: May 11 2012, 09:59 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post May 12 2012, 02:05 AM
Post #3

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

Memes are dumb unless they're timed properly. Protip: most internet nerds just scream them out in an attempt to be funny, without knowing what proper comedic timing actually is.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Actinium
post May 12 2012, 08:56 AM
Post #4

I'm Human Sized! :D
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 106 466

HG team~

I like memes. I rememeber the good times when my and my bogff (best other gender friend forever) would hang out on fridays and browse through Pokememes.

Now, i really don't have a favorite type, but some are better than others. One of one type of meme could just be dumb, but another one of the same type might make me laugh like crazy. It seriously just depends on the meme.

--------------------
Sig under renovation. AGAIN.

Song of the Week ~ Headphone Actor, Vocaloid IA

Spoiler (click to showhide)
+Quote Post

Synx Itax
post May 12 2012, 12:37 PM
Post #5

A learning vessel of several lessons to make me more clever.
Group Icon

Member No.: 23 405

My Loves

I love memes, but once they got commercialized (t-shirts with Me Gusta on them, Nyan Cat shirts and stickers, etc), they just no longer felt exclusive to the interwebs. Then again, I'd imagine that mostly 'net nerds would get that merchandise anyway. Or maybe girls who like cats.

I... actually kinda want a Me Gusta shirt. :|

This post has been edited by Synx Itax: May 12 2012, 12:39 PM

--------------------

Check my GPXPlus journal to see what I contributed to the site!

Interested in a commission? PM me.
+Quote Post

BarkingChaos
post May 12 2012, 01:10 PM
Post #6

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 112 100

Sandshrew Army

The only memes I don't mind are the redundant X Y is X and the Not sure if_____ or _____.

I can't stand those gaming ones (The cake is a lie, took an arrow to the knee). People throw them around trying to be cool and funny when they are not. Its possible to make them work...just...people don't know how to :/
+Quote Post

Reyo
post May 12 2012, 04:22 PM
Post #7

I'm in space...space...spacespace
Group Icon

Member No.: 30 281

space team

Like any other form of comedy, if it's overplayed, and at completely inappropriate times, the comedic value doesn't exist.

--------------------
space...spacespace...wanna go to space...I'm in space...are we in space...I wanna into space, are you space? Uh oh, space police, stay cool. Space..space..space space..ba ba, ba, ba, bababa, ba, ba space. Dad, are you space? Yes, now we can be a family again. Space space...need...space...need a rocket...wanna buy a rocket? It's for space...need one...buy one from space store...space store...space...space...space supplies...space ship...space rocket...rocket..space...soup...space soup...from space cafe...space waiter there's a space fly in my space soup...spacespace....must...

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-
+Quote Post

Dmitri
post May 12 2012, 04:29 PM
Post #8

Lecherous Demon
Group Icon

Member No.: 155 791

Team Scourge

QUOTE(Mercenary Raven @ May 12 2012, 02:05 AM) *
Memes are dumb unless they're timed properly. Protip: most internet nerds just scream them out in an attempt to be funny, without knowing what proper comedic timing actually is.

Edit1:
Pretty much this. Used as a reaction in proper situations is acceptable and, depending on the situation, can be a little more than entertaining. Most people tend to just post them at every post or use them at every available oppurtunity. (Ie: "it's over 9000" and "the cake is a lie" are extremely popular and quite annoying.)

This post has been edited by Hexxy: May 12 2012, 09:27 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post May 12 2012, 09:05 PM
Post #9

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

Hexxy, add more to your post please!

--------------------
+Quote Post

The Grouch
post May 12 2012, 11:05 PM
Post #10

And this is how the world ends.
Group Icon

Member No.: 96 726

but a whimper.

Reaction images, yes. Everything else, not so much. The cake is a lie bit annoys me the most, and arrow in the knee jokes comes second.

This post has been edited by Deadchu: May 12 2012, 11:06 PM

--------------------
Team (click to show)
+Quote Post

Sharkosaurus
post May 13 2012, 03:15 AM
Post #11

Gentleman Bastard
Group Icon

Member No.: 93 071

smogon ban genies pls

Memes are cool.
I just hate it when people overuse them or worse, misuse them.
Especially those who came out of 9GAG. I don't like the site, but nothing's wrong with it. It's just that some people keep using memes over and over on Facebook because of that site.

This post has been edited by Wings of Sorrow: May 13 2012, 03:15 AM

--------------------
ayy
+Quote Post

LittleShadowPoke...
post May 13 2012, 03:45 AM
Post #12

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 490

Sweet Team

Hate them. Hate them. Hate them. My current relationship is in danger of ending because of them. They're annoying. I hardly ever get them, and they're overused.

--------------------
Me (click to show)

PANE (click to show)

Credits (click to show)
+Quote Post

Sharkosaurus
post May 13 2012, 04:23 AM
Post #13

Gentleman Bastard
Group Icon

Member No.: 93 071

smogon ban genies pls

QUOTE(LittleShadowPokemon @ May 13 2012, 03:45 AM) *
Hate them. Hate them. Hate them. My current relationship is in danger of ending because of them. They're annoying. I hardly ever get them, and they're overused.

Would you care to elaborate?

This post has been edited by Wings of Sorrow: May 13 2012, 04:23 AM

--------------------
ayy
+Quote Post

Yamper
post May 13 2012, 06:32 AM
Post #14

Axew and Volcarona enthusiast
Group Icon

Member No.: 61 211

Invisible Kyurem

I'm not too bothered with them.

I use them myself. However I've come across people who use them constantly. Whenever I'm near them, actually. Always "Arrow to the knee" or some other thing I can't remember. I mean. I do it myself, like I just said. But within reason.

Not constantly, but every now and then I don't see why. When the time is right for a meme I feel it should be used. If the time isn't right the like Reyo said, all comedic value is gone.

--------------------

Don't forget to love yourself.
Add me for daily clicks: 873/1000

[align=center]---

Community Thread Shiny List!

---[/align]
[align=right]Breeding Incentives: Mission Cards
[/align]
+Quote Post

IcePrincess
post May 20 2012, 10:41 AM
Post #15

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 58 724

Firered Team

I guess I like them, but most of them get really old after a while. At nearly EVERY game video I saw in the comments an "Arrow to the knee" joke. And that isn't even the original meme where is was "Arrow IN the knee.." I'm glad that one is nearly gone. Most of the time people don't understand that it gets old, or just use them to troll people..

Edit:
I have to admit I sometimes use memes like "20% cooler" though.

--------------------

+Quote Post

NeonEspeon
post May 20 2012, 10:47 AM
Post #16

:D
Group Icon

Member No.: 117 681

Beautiful Pokemon

I don't really care for memes. I never really use them. I think it's stupid when people constantly keep using them. It'll get bland after awhile.

--------------------
Ribbons (click to show)

Credit to Quiver Dance/Samoo

Groups (click to show)

Shiny(s)/Click Meh Partey (click to show)
+Quote Post

Rainier
post May 21 2012, 02:56 PM
Post #17

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 164 480

Active Squad

I honestly hate them. It feels like every kid at my brother's school uses them, and whenever I go to pick him up I see a bunch of morons, say, taking someone's hat and saying 'u mad? u mad?' or something like that. Plus my boyfriend talks about memes non-stop and it really pisses me off. I might just break up with him because of it.
+Quote Post

LittleShadowPoke...
post May 21 2012, 09:08 PM
Post #18

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 490

Sweet Team

QUOTE(Wings of Sorrow @ May 13 2012, 05:23 AM) *
QUOTE(LittleShadowPokemon @ May 13 2012, 03:45 AM) *

Would you care to elaborate?

Sure. I suppose it's really just the one bad experience with this person. I do not like making a comment in an IM and getting a picture back with the response of a crazed owl with bad grammar. I guess I'm just really a grammar stickler in the first place. The cats are cute, but again, bad grammar. Admittedly, in the beginning it was funny sometimes, but it's just so overwhelming at this point. My life is inundated with demotivational posters and troll faces, which is another point.

What is up with those ugly ass faces? I just... it's so haunting and stupid and pointless. And because I'm not on the "in" circle of most of these, whenever my significant other starts in on this stuff it's either utter gibberish, and annoying when we're alone, but just plain embarrassing when we're around family. Everyone thinks I'm dating a "special" person and my mother makes me lose on purpose during our ping pong games.

It's just so annoying and nerve-grating. And it seems so immature. I can't believe these things are this popular.

QUOTE(Rainier @ May 21 2012, 03:56 PM) *
I honestly hate them. It feels like every kid at my brother's school uses them, and whenever I go to pick him up I see a bunch of morons, say, taking someone's hat and saying 'u mad? u mad?' or something like that. Plus my boyfriend talks about memes non-stop and it really pisses me off. I might just break up with him because of it.

Pretty much this. ^

This post has been edited by LittleShadowPokemon: May 21 2012, 09:13 PM

--------------------
Me (click to show)

PANE (click to show)

Credits (click to show)
+Quote Post

lorks
post Jul 18 2012, 03:32 PM
Post #19

Faberry
Group Icon

Member No.: 72 645

Shinies

memes are annoying and pretty much not at all funny. people need to write their own jokes.

don't get me started on rage comics. they're the most unimaginative & annoying thing on the internet.

every time a 14-year old boy that thinks he's clever says "u mad bro?", i literally want to tear their fucking face off. it's beyond annoying. also they tend to be sexist/racist/homophobic/etc as hell.

--------------------
i always click back

--

+Quote Post

Movie Theater
post Jul 18 2012, 03:37 PM
Post #20

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 82 573

Active Squad

A couple are a little annoying, but the rest I love.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th March 2024 - 11:55 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.