Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
What is the meaning of life?, Everybody wants to know the answer.
Zexis
post Jul 6 2012, 07:06 PM
Post #1

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 166 701

Active Squad

Here it is, the Big Question that everybody has been arguing about since forever.

What is the meaning of life?

Here are a couple theories to get you thinking:
-to reproduce
-to evolve
-to eat or be eaten
-to live life to the fullest
-to pursue your dreams
-to make others happy
-to make yourself happy
-to love
-family and friends

My opinions:
If I were looking for an answer in a more scientific point of view, I would say the meaning of life would be to evolve, because the reason animals reproduce is to evolve anyways through the process of natural selection. Of course, there's also the more spiritual side of this argument, in which case I would probably say that the meaning of life would be to live life to the fullest (which I guess includes spreading happiness, loving your friends and family, and pursuing your dreams already...). It really just depends on what kind of person you are. I wouldn't say that the meaning of life is to just solely pursue your dream, because in many cases people don't reach their goals and dreams. Besides, there are also other living creatures to consider. Many animals aren't capable of feeling emotion, so happiness and love wouldn't really matter to them. But to an animal, living life to the fullest may be just to eat, sleep, reproduce, survive, etc (so as you can see, "living life to the fullest" can have many meanings).

You don't have to choose just from the above list. Those were just a few ideas to get your started. You are entitled to your own opinion. Just remember that when stating your opinion, please specify why you think that way. This is in the debates section for a reason.

Discuss.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Not Gizmo
post Jul 6 2012, 09:07 PM
Post #2

it's not a trolley
Group Icon

Member No.: 115 631

*splahes about*

I don't mean to get all scientific and techy about it, but as far as we know, there Isn't any set/exclusive meaning to life as we understand it; the way you are, who you are, how you are, and you, in general, as a person, creates your own meaning out of your own morals, perspective of life itself, your feelings towards things, etc...

As for my own personal meaning, however,... meh, I'm honestly not even sure. I'm obviously living, and living is rather "fun" (and I use that loosely), in a roller coaster sort of a way, so to speak... and despite the fact that there are things that I don't enjoy, the rebound to that is that I also get to do stuff that I actually enjoy.

So yeah... I'm living right now. Might as well keep living and not let it go to too much of a waste, before my brain eventually fails at old age and my body decomposes into the earth itself~
(^ my apologies for the dry, seemingly bitter look on life; I don't view it as what you think I might be viewing as; trust me, I'm much cheerier than what it seems like~)

This post has been edited by Gizmokarp: Jul 6 2012, 09:08 PM

--------------------

.: x :.
+Quote Post

Zexis
post Jul 6 2012, 11:08 PM
Post #3

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

I agree. I mainly started this topic just to see the opinions of other people of what they think the meaning of life is. Or what life means to them. If there was a set meaning already known I wouldn't have posted this.

To tell you the truth, the opinions that I stated in the first post aren't what I strictly believe in. There could be many meanings to life. As I said before, it depends on what kind of person you are, and what your values in life are. It's just that if I had to come up the most accurate answer (in my own opinion) on what life means to me, that would probably be what I would say, though I am fully aware that there is no real answer.

I usually don't think about this stuff that often. "This stuff" referring to subjects that people cannot answer or prove, such as ghosts, the meaning of life, karma, fate, etc. Since there's really no answer, there's no point in troubling myself trying to grasp for an answer. The science-y part of me says that because there is no proof, then they can't exist. But another part of me says that they do. In general, I'm pretty much just living, contributing to the lives of others as much as possible, in other words waiting to die like everybody else. Perhaps when I die things will suddenly clear up. Or I might just fall into a pit of darkness and lose my consciousness forever after I die. Even death is confusing. So this is where my own opinion of life comes in. Basically just live life to the fullest. And when I die, I'll accept what comes.

All this talk about death. So depressing. Yeah, I know it's pretty hard to sound happy while talking about death. No worries I understand~
+Quote Post

Pyotr
post Jul 6 2012, 11:58 PM
Post #4

Sugar Content
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 143 069

Unown

Warning: This is the opinion of an ordinary teenager with an ordinary mind and ordinary toughts. I don't even bother with these kinds of debates too much right now, since I don't think I'm not even nearly cultured enough to give a concrete opinion. I know that if that's what I think, I shouldn't be posting in debates. But I couldn't help myself writing down my toughts. I'm sorry if this is just plain boring to read.

I'm usually liberal, I'm open, I'm flexible with opinions and debates. I'll rarely have my own opinion (which might be bad), but I'll try my hardest to respect all of them. I don't think it's really too different with this topic, I understand every theory on the meaning of life quoted on the posts above; that there are multiple meanings, that there is no meaning at all... But after some thinking I believe I made my own opinion. I'll try to be short:

I think life is the way/"chance" you were given to change the world, it doesn't matter if it's small or big changes. ...Oh boy. This will be hard to put into words. I think it's the way you were given make history "follow a different patch/follow different patches". Ok I will try to explain it in a different way (I'll compare what I've said before and what I'll say by using bold font, to possibly make it easier to understand): Pretend the world is a book and you're one of the writers. During your life, you get to write sentences, changing the course of the story here and there... or chapters, perhaps changing the story drastically (small or big changes). You could make sad or happy chapters (depending on the choices you take and what you do in your life, depending on what you wrote in the book).

But... what if you weren't a writer? The book would go on, it could possible end up in a whole different way if you didn't participate. The story could get sadder or happier without your sentences and chapters. But that's what life is there for, it's a way you were given to change the story, to change the book, to change the world nod.gif

I hope this wasn't as confusing as I think it was, or like I said, just plain boring to read; I bet I also totally went away from the actual intention of the debate (and sorry if there are any grammar mistakes) shakefist.gif But there's my current opinion.

This post has been edited by Forget me now: Jul 7 2012, 12:05 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Zexis
post Jul 7 2012, 12:14 AM
Post #5

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

@Banana Bloodplanet: That's what I've been saying. Each individual has their own opinion on what their life means to them. But it is fun to discuss the different viewpoints, no?

@Forget me now: Your logic is totally reasonable and quite understandable. So, everybody has a role to play on the planet, whether big or small, is what I think you're trying to say (correct me if I'm wrong)? That's an interesting thought. But what you're saying is very true. Each of us do play a role on the planet, even in other people's lives, whether it be a family member, or a random stranger you bumped into on the streets.
+Quote Post

Pyotr
post Jul 7 2012, 12:19 AM
Post #6

Sugar Content
Group Icon

Member No.: 143 069

Unown

QUOTE(Zexis @ Jul 7 2012, 02:14 AM) *
@Banana Bloodplanet: That's what I've been saying. Each individual has their own opinion on what their life means to them. But it is fun to discuss the different viewpoints, no?

@Forget me now: Your logic is totally reasonable and quite understandable. So, everybody has a role to play on the planet, whether big or small, is what I think you're trying to say (correct me if I'm wrong)? That's an interesting thought. But what you're saying is very true. Each of us do play a role on the planet, even in other people's lives, whether it be a family member, or a random stranger you bumped into on the streets.

Yes, exactly, everyone has a role. If you weren't there to bump into that random stranger, there would be a chance that she/he wouldn't have met you, wouldn't have married you, wouldn't have had any kids, your kids wouldn't- you know where I'm getting at, right? The whole story could be different.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Zexis
post Jul 7 2012, 09:39 PM
Post #7

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

Yes, I get what you're saying. But is the meaning of life itself to just play a role? So, to you, your whole life is dedicated to playing a role? I'm not trying to argue with you, just questioning you on a topic that I'm curious about. If it is, fine. I agree, in a sense, everybody is literally playing a role in someone else's life. But that's kind of unavoidable because of the number of people on this planet. Is there some other goal you want in life?
+Quote Post

Some Person
post Jul 30 2012, 07:30 PM
Post #8

Don't let me detain you...
Group Icon

Member No.: 127 207

Vetinari's Terriers

To find truth and understanding- and to have fun while doing it. grin.gif

I should add that I'm a sort-of Buddhist; I believe that we live many lives, gaining more understanding in each of them until, finally, we become enlightened and can escape the wheel of birth and death. I also belive that each of us has a 'higher self', or soul if you will, which is undying, ungendered and seperate from what we usually call 'us'. This higher self remembers all of our past lives, and knows it will go through more before it finally understands the true meaning of existance. To die is to merely pass onto another body; 'you'- as in the body and the personality you have now- might die, but your higher self will live on and learn from this life's experinces. It's like the sunset is an end of sorts, but also a sign that a new, different day is coming.

I also want to be immortal, so make of that what you will. happy.gif

This post has been edited by Fading Like The Lilac: Jul 30 2012, 07:35 PM

--------------------
"The world spins on pain. I realised that if there is a supreme power, then it is our duty to become it's moral superior." -Lord Havelock Vetinari, Patrician of Ankh-Morpork

"The sentient may perceive and love the universe, but the universe may not perceive and love the sentient. The universe sees no distinction between the multitude of creatures and elements which comprise it. All are equal. None is favored. The universe, equipped with nothing but the materials and the power of creation, continues to create: something of this, something of that. It cannot control what it creates and it cannot, it seems, be controlled by its creations (though a few might deceive themselves otherwise). Those who curse the workings of the universe curse that which is deaf. Those who strike out at those workings fight that which is inviolate. Those who shake their fists, shake their fists at blind stars."- Michael Moorcock, author.
+Quote Post

Quomimi
post Jul 30 2012, 07:32 PM
Post #9

Nerd
Group Icon

Member No.: 101 034

Babys <3

I think it's to live life! And have the greatest time while you're on this planet! 8D
+Quote Post

Silverydoe
post Aug 1 2012, 08:34 PM
Post #10

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 169 115

Active Squad

I'm surprised nobody has responded with the answer "42." xD
In all seriousness, from a biological sense, the purpose of life is to survive and create more offspring. If a species does not have the ability to survive and reproduce, the life of that species will end very soon. So I guess my answer is similar to yours, in a way. We all started from a very simple organism. If that organism had not found a way to grow, change, and create more offspring, we would not be here, and would have no purpose.
In an astronomical sense, no matter how many changes you make to the world, humans will become extinct eventually. I don't mean to be a downer, but it's true. We are so tiny, and have made absolutely zero impact to the Universe as a whole. We are one of a million species of one planet of 9 others in one solar system of 100 billion stars, and that's just one galaxy of 100 billion others. Sure, we can make our lives here even better, and improve upon our world, but some day, Earth will be gone, and the Universe won't even care.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Yamper
post Oct 7 2012, 06:51 AM
Post #11

Axew and Volcarona enthusiast
Group Icon

Member No.: 61 211

Invisible Kyurem

Depends entirely on the individual and their paths.

I don't think there is 'one meaning to life'. There are several and unique ones depending on the paths that people take in their lives. That's what I think the meaning of life is.

I believe there is a cause and effect motion around us 24/7, so whatever we do affects our future and our meaning to life. -shrug-

--------------------

Don't forget to love yourself.
Add me for daily clicks: 873/1000

[align=center]---

Community Thread Shiny List!

---[/align]
[align=right]Breeding Incentives: Mission Cards
[/align]
+Quote Post

The Winnebago
post Oct 7 2012, 08:52 AM
Post #12

Recreational Vehicle
Group Icon

Member No.: 82 857

Pokemans Favourite

There is no objective meaning to life, but from a subjective standpoint, one can make any goal they want of their life.

Mine personally is the pursuit of personal happiness and the happiness of those close to me. That's my ultimate goal.
+Quote Post

Chrome
post Oct 7 2012, 09:05 AM
Post #13

Catch me if you can.
Group Icon

Member No.: 168 510

Active Squad

What is the meaning of life? Study Philosophy if you want to see the different views.
I just think I need to graduate, get a job, get a partner, have kids, retire and die.

This post has been edited by Chrome: Oct 7 2012, 09:05 AM

--------------------

↓ These shiny Pokemon wants you to click these ↓

GPX+ Groups (click to show)
+Quote Post

Aves Dominari
post Oct 7 2012, 05:14 PM
Post #14

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 174 276

Caelum Venatores

The meaning of life, as much as you can call it that, is reproduction. Traits that increase an organism's chances of survival will increase its chances of reproducing and passing those traits on, and therefore all life on the planet is very good at having babies and living long enough to do so.
+Quote Post

The Winnebago
post Oct 7 2012, 06:02 PM
Post #15

Recreational Vehicle
Group Icon

Pokemans Favourite

QUOTE(Aves Dominari @ Oct 7 2012, 06:14 PM) *
The meaning of life, as much as you can call it that, is reproduction. Traits that increase an organism's chances of survival will increase its chances of reproducing and passing those traits on, and therefore all life on the planet is very good at having babies and living long enough to do so.

What is the ultimate terms of the species? To continuously reproduce? Sounds monotonous and pointless, all species eventually will either evolve into another species or go extinct. That species will die out one way or the other.
+Quote Post

Aves Dominari
post Oct 8 2012, 07:26 PM
Post #16

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Caelum Venatores

QUOTE(The Winnebago @ Oct 7 2012, 07:02 PM) *
What is the ultimate terms of the species? To continuously reproduce? Sounds monotonous and pointless, all species eventually will either evolve into another species or go extinct. That species will die out one way or the other.

But that's basically the driving force of all life, at least on a species-wide level. Evolution drives this; if you're good at making babies, your children will be good at making babies. If you aren't good at making babies... you don't.
+Quote Post

The Winnebago
post Oct 8 2012, 07:46 PM
Post #17

Recreational Vehicle
Group Icon

Pokemans Favourite

QUOTE(Aves Dominari @ Oct 8 2012, 08:26 PM) *
QUOTE(The Winnebago @ Oct 7 2012, 07:02 PM) *

But that's basically the driving force of all life, at least on a species-wide level. Evolution drives this; if you're good at making babies, your children will be good at making babies. If you aren't good at making babies... you don't.

But then that species dies out in favour of the new species after evolution.

So one day human beings will all be gone, no matter what we do.
+Quote Post

Aves Dominari
post Oct 8 2012, 08:44 PM
Post #18

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Caelum Venatores

QUOTE(The Winnebago @ Oct 8 2012, 08:46 PM) *
But then that species dies out in favour of the new species after evolution.

So one day human beings will all be gone, no matter what we do.

Well, yeah; humans as we know them won't exist, but their descendants will. It all depends on what new environments will demand of the human species, and just because we change doesn't mean we'll be changing for the worse. That's the way life is, and it's nothing we need to be worried about or fear.
+Quote Post

The Winnebago
post Oct 8 2012, 08:49 PM
Post #19

Recreational Vehicle
Group Icon

Pokemans Favourite

QUOTE(Aves Dominari @ Oct 8 2012, 09:44 PM) *
Well, yeah; humans as we know them won't exist, but their descendants will. It all depends on what new environments will demand of the human species, and just because we change doesn't mean we'll be changing for the worse. That's the way life is, and it's nothing we need to be worried about or fear.

I never thought of it as something to be feared. Mostly because it doesn't effect me.

That's why I don't find a point in reproduction. It does not benefit me personally, and I do not find that things that benefit the human race inherently will benefit me, so why care about reproducing?
+Quote Post

Sir Alexei
post Oct 14 2012, 05:44 AM
Post #20

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 115 298

Active Squad

--------------------

i got this at the PokéBalls doll clique (pokeballs.dollclique.com)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:00 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.