Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Debate of Romney and Obama!, Talk about the presidential debate!
Synchronise
post Nov 7 2012, 07:09 PM
Post #41

[PAPER INTENSIFIES]
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 76 425

Fithos Team Delta

QUOTE(Sora the Pikachu @ Nov 7 2012, 06:16 PM) *
When has Paul Ryan ever said we're just a couple of nobodies? ... But what has he done that openly states that we're just 'dirt'?

Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to give you anything that says "Black people are dirt!" or "All those gay people are a bunch of nobodies!" because that isn't how the world of politics works. But I can give you a few things (mostly courtesy of Rhapsody's research, as well as a bit of my own) that point to Ryan vastly preferring white male Christians over any other group when it comes to civil rights and matters of choice.

QUOTE(Advocate.com @ Aug 11, 2012)
“Our rights come from nature and God, not from government. That's who we are,” he said. “That's how we built this country. That's who we are. That's what made us great. That's our founding.”

Ryan made a similar statement to ABC News in July when he continued the call to repeal health care reform after the Supreme Court upheld the law, saying that rights “come from nature and God, according to the Declaration of Independence.” His view appears to defy the trajectory of civil rights progress in the country, where disenfranchised groups including LGBT Americans have repeatedly turned to the courts and legislatures, not religious authority, to win rights. According to an analysis of his record, Ryan voted against equality legislation all but once during his Congressional career.

The Human Rights Campaign issued a statement that called Romney and Ryan out-of-touch with the majority of Americans, including some Republicans, on equality issues.

"Ryan's record of voting against fairness, dignity and equality is out of touch with the majority of Americans and a fast growing majority of Republicans," said Chad Griffin, the group’s president. "LGBT Americans need leadership that will continue to fight for their rights to protect their families, marry the person they love, and enjoy equal protections under the law."

QUOTE(Advocate.com @ Aug 11, 2012)
Also, as a U.S. representative for Wisconsin’s first congressional district, Ryan was more recently faced with a ballot question in his home state on whether to ban marriage equality. He again lined up against marriage equality when asked about the initative during a February appearance on Meet the Press. At the time, he pointed to President Obama's former opposition to same-sex marriage to help justify his own view, and he cited President Clinton as having signed the Defense of Marriage Act, which the former president no longer supports.

In 2003, Ryan voted in favor of the Marriage Protection Act, which would have prevented federal courts from considering and possibly overturning the Defense of Marriage Act. Romney also backs DOMA.

Ryan voted in 1999 in favor of banning same-sex couples from adopting in the District of Columbia, over which Congress often exerts control. And although Romney acknowledges it's legal for gays and lesbians to adopt in many places, he doesn't go so far as to support it. In fact, he brags about siding with the Catholic Church in Massachusetts as governor as it sought an exemption that would have let it discriminate in adoptions and in foster care despite receiving government money.

Ryan also lined up with Romney on repeal of "don't ask, don't tell" when it came before Congress in 2011. Ryan voted against repealing DADT, and Romney was outspoken in his opposition to repeal. Since then, though, Romney has said reinstating DADT would be unnecessary.

Romney's record on the need for hate crimes laws is unclear. But when the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act passed through the House in 2009, Ryan voted against it.

QUOTE(The Washington Post @ Oct 18, 2012)
GOP vice-presidential nominee Paul Ryan on Thursday night poked fun at the Democratic argument that the GOP is waging a “war on women.”
“Now it’s a war on women; tomorrow it’s going to be a war on left-handed Irishmen or something like that,” Ryan told donors at a Naples fundraiser, according to Shushanna Walshe of ABC News.

And a giant aggregate of his stances, along with links through to quotes he's made:

http://www.ontheissues.org/house/Paul_Ryan.htm

He displays, based on the above, a desire to deny to homosexual couples the same rights and benefits--including marriage in general--that heterosexual couples now enjoy. He also displays an aloof attitude toward the idea of "a war on women" in a time when he supports taking away right of choice to women. He also wishes to deny to women and homosexuals the same protections from crimes that heterosexual men can enjoy.

Links for the other quoted materials:
http://www.advocate.com/politics/election/...-not-government
http://www.advocate.com/politics/election/...omney-pick-veep
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/electi...s-war-on-women/

Like I said, nothing where he outright says it. But I believe--as I think others do, too--that politicians speak with their votes on certain issues, and if he is consistently voting against these rights and benefits for people who are not like him--that is to say, not white, male, or Christian--then I think it speaks volumes about his thoughts and beliefs.

This post has been edited by Wraenna: Nov 7 2012, 07:11 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Vixenite
post Nov 7 2012, 11:48 PM
Post #42

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 119 451

Active Squad

QUOTE(Manticore @ Nov 7 2012, 06:46 PM) *
QUOTE(Mars Adept Enten @ Nov 7 2012, 11:15 AM) *
religious liberties of Christians get trampled upon

I think you mean Christians won't get special treatment any more. No one will be stopping you from worshipping however you want, you just won't be allowed to try to force everyone else in the country to follow the laws of YOUR religion regarding things like gay marriage and abortions.

I was so pleased to wake up this morning and find out that the biggest liar I've ever seen or heard of in politics didn't get elected. I'm honestly surprised it was as wide a margin as it was, considering the rather good evidence for vote flipping that's come out lately. I will be very interested to see how that works.

I am quite displeased that Ohioans rejected Issue 2 though, as that means republicans will still be allowed to gerrymander districts to try to help their side get votes.

Love this post, it's so frustrating to see Christians try to say their religious liberties are getting taken away. facepalm.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

Dmitri
post Nov 11 2012, 01:10 AM
Post #43

Lecherous Demon
Group Icon

Member No.: 155 791

Team Scourge

QUOTE(Commander Wymsy @ Nov 7 2012, 04:59 PM) *
I enjoy that we continue to have a President who does not consider somebody like me to be a second class citizen in more ways than one.

This, pretty much, sums up everything I wanted to say.

I kind of wanted Gary Johnson(Libertarian) to win, though. Let's be honest, though, that would never happen, no matter how bad we wanted it to.

I'm glad Romney didn't take the stage and trample all over our civil rights. If not for his views on social policies like that? I think he might've won, tbch.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Nov 11 2012, 03:23 AM
Post #44

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

Libertarians are really fucking crazy too, I would never want a Libertarian in office.

--------------------
+Quote Post

The Winnebago
post Nov 12 2012, 08:20 PM
Post #45

Recreational Vehicle
Group Icon

Member No.: 82 857

Pokemans Favourite

Magic wonders, 20 states are petitioning to secede from the United States over the election.

People really just need to stop.

This post has been edited by The Winnebago: Nov 12 2012, 08:20 PM
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Nov 13 2012, 12:06 AM
Post #46

Group Icon

Active Squad

lol where did you see that? I'm curious of your source, because I did read it but it's something that happens every time a democrat is elected. It's funny too, they have enough for articles to be written about them but not enough to make their petitions public.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Chrome
post Nov 13 2012, 12:12 AM
Post #47

Catch me if you can.
Group Icon

Member No.: 168 510

Active Squad

To be quite honest, I didn't vote. It was hard picking the lesser of two evils.
I would prefer to see Obama in office, but I don't like how I have to pay for some lazy people...
Mitt Romney was just...I just couldn't trust a word that guy said.

--------------------

↓ These shiny Pokemon wants you to click these ↓

GPX+ Groups (click to show)
+Quote Post

Synchronise
post Nov 13 2012, 12:12 AM
Post #48

[PAPER INTENSIFIES]
Group Icon

Member No.: 76 425

Fithos Team Delta

QUOTE(Lord Raven @ Nov 13 2012, 12:06 AM) *
lol where did you see that? I'm curious of your source, because I did read it but it's something that happens every time a democrat is elected. It's funny too, they have enough for articles to be written about them but not enough to make their petitions public.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/p...rnment/BmdWCP8B

Right here, Raven. There are petitions for roundabout 20 states, but Texas is the only one (linked above, but others are on that site) to have met the requisite signature count of 25,000.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Nov 13 2012, 12:50 AM
Post #49

Group Icon

Active Squad

lol 57K signatures out of 25.6 million, gl texas

QUOTE(Chrome @ Nov 13 2012, 12:12 AM) *
I would prefer to see Obama in office, but I don't like how I have to pay for some lazy people...
This is a really heavy accusation; in fact, I'm not going to give you a serious response to this. Just get the fuck out of this thread if you're going to say something like that, before you trigger my temper.

--------------------
+Quote Post

CherryGryffon
post Nov 13 2012, 05:00 AM
Post #50

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 48 261

Active Squad

Um.. You only need 25k signatures to have a petition like that put on the President's desk lol.
I know for some things there's a 0 a the end of that, but every source I've found thus far says it's only 25k for this/most area/s. happy.gif

Also: I voted for President Obama.
Ideally, I would like to see Mrs. Clinton run for president.
I know in '08 she went up for the Democratic nomination, and lost to Obama; But I'd like to see HER be our choice.

My reasoning points:
- She's already our "voice" to like, 80% or better of the world [And there are leaders in other nations that enjoy hosting Hillary Clinton in their country. ENJOY!]
- She's already been in the White House, and so knows how it works and won't be caught unaware as President Obama unfortunately was
- She's already had a VERY successful political career on her own, after her husband and she had to leave office
- She's shown with her husband that she's willing to stand by and support something that is failing, and that everyone else told her she SHOULD leave and let die; And that she can FIX it
- She's extremely intelligent, well enunciated, very well prepared, and apart from her husband's scandal she has no REAL ties to controversy. Except, of course, her flag-burning college days, which brings me to one of my final points
- Having been on the other side of the fence, the side of "Down with the man, man", she understands what it feels like to not have faith in the system, and wanting to revolutionize that

I mean. This woman is educated, versed in multiple cultures [Something Romney continually shot himself in the foot with and put US at risk of losing the allies Obama has brought us, including his aid in solidifying our friendship with Russia], seasoned with the White House workings, and more a person than a politician.

What else could we ask for?
Except, of course, a Vice President that could actually help her, and not get in the way.
For that, I suggest Michelle Obama. LOL

--------------------
Mostly on Twitter, Twitch, and Instagram these days
Find me @CherryGryffon everywhere
Obsessed with Travis Barker
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Nov 13 2012, 07:53 PM
Post #51

Group Icon

Active Squad

al gore vp

--------------------
+Quote Post

Dmitri
post Nov 14 2012, 05:42 PM
Post #52

Lecherous Demon
Group Icon

Member No.: 155 791

Team Scourge

QUOTE(The Winnebago @ Nov 12 2012, 07:20 PM) *
Magic wonders, 20 states are petitioning to secede from the United States over the election.

Sore losers, pfft.

Yee-haw? I heard it got bumped up to 22 states.

--------------------
+Quote Post

CherryGryffon
post Nov 15 2012, 12:55 PM
Post #53

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 48 261

Active Squad

QUOTE(IWillGoDownWithThisShip @ Nov 14 2012, 05:42 PM) *
QUOTE(The Winnebago @ Nov 12 2012, 07:20 PM) *

Sore losers, pfft.

Yee-haw? I heard it got bumped up to 22 states.

I have two petitions I've seen and signed I absolutely love.

1. Anyone that has signed a petition to secede from the United States should be kindly deported, assuming their state does not indeed succeed in seceding. They want out that badly? They should GET out.

2. Assuming a state is indeed allowed to secede 'peacefully', they should first pay off ALL of their portion of the national debt. Until such time, they remain a state and federal laws apply. A note should be made: ALL federal and government resources [National Guard, Public Schools, Utilities, Vehicles, Natural Resources, Etc.] would be returned to the United States, or bought from them for a reasonable price.

Seriously. I am in love with them.

--------------------
Mostly on Twitter, Twitch, and Instagram these days
Find me @CherryGryffon everywhere
Obsessed with Travis Barker
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:31 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.