Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Stem cell reaserch
Stem cell
should it be allowed
Yes [ 60 ]  [92.31%]
No [ 5 ]  [7.69%]
Total Votes: 65
Guests cannot vote 

nebz5
post Apr 13 2009, 02:30 PM
Post #1

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 10 265

my team

Should stem cell research be allowed. Personally I think it should be. Whether it be an aborted fetus, or a miscarriage, the fetus would just go to waste and as for religious points i can understand that you don't think it should be allowed. But if god didn't want it to happen he wouldn't let it. And as for why we could use stem cells to help people who are paralyzed to be able to walk, those who have lost limbs could have them back, damaged skin could be replaced, etc.etc.

--------------------
Pokemans
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Chrona
post Apr 13 2009, 02:35 PM
Post #2

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 7 052

Active Squad

Whether or not you're against abortion, you have to accept that the stem cells will be there either way. There will always be fetuses, either from miscarriages or abortions. Denying using them is like denying organ donors - Sure, the death might be tragic, but we might as well use it for good.

--------------------

<-- Click here to join TPPA, an online Pokemon RPG =D
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Apr 13 2009, 03:29 PM
Post #3

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

Yeah I'm for stem cell research as long as they have permission to use said fetus.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Kaname Madoka
post Apr 13 2009, 05:32 PM
Post #4

housewife extraordinaire!
Group Icon

Member No.: 7 542

Team HG

I'm all for it, as long as all parties involved agree. There are so many benefits that could come from stem-cell research that I can't see any reason not to continue.
+Quote Post

Dys Tuvai
post Apr 13 2009, 06:26 PM
Post #5

The Sylvan Saber
Group Icon

Member No.: 9 358

Grass-Type Fanatic

And guess what, they don't even really have to use fetuses for it anymore. They supposedly found a way to reset skin cells to stem cell status.

I don't see what's the big controversy about it anymore. And even when the only origin for stem cells was fetuses - most stem cells can be produced from fetuses that haven't even reached the point where they're organisms of their own right, so there's not too much of an argument beyond claiming human beings are superspecialawesome and other organisms aren't. Which to me is simply being full of oneself. XD

--------------------

No longer available on GPX+ for now. Don't bother clicking me. Thank you.

+Quote Post

nebz5
post Apr 19 2009, 10:13 AM
Post #6

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 10 265

my team

to dys i think i saw something like that on oprah >.> not that i watch it or anything <.<

--------------------
Pokemans
+Quote Post

JabbaScript
post Apr 19 2009, 11:02 AM
Post #7

Leader of the Blastoise Armada and the Rotom Navy
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 11 762

Armada ~ Navy

I think they should.

As for the cells just going to waste, that only applies to miscarriages and abortions.

About the god thing, I suppose that means he wants rapists and murderers to do those horrible things and get away with it?
(ps you only adressed christianity, not all religions.)

Those are all great accomplishments in the making, but the biggest reason for stem cell research is to find a cure for cancer.

@Dys: Yeah, I heard about that a while back when my mom did a report on stem cell research. It was about a year ago, but I've never heard anything since. I guess it's not a good a source as fetuses are...

That's another contoversial topic. At what point is the fetus considered a "organism of their own right"? Some say the moment of conception, while others say it's not until after a few months. Most think it's whenever it develops a working brain (though nobody remembers anything till about a year after they're born).

--------------------

Party

Admire My Superior Fossilmons!

EGG ADVERTISEMENTS!
PM me with the code for one of your eggs. I'm accepting however many fit on a line at a time. You're welcome. wink.gif
NO LEGENDARIES! They take too long to hatch, taking up room for people's eggs. Plus I'm getting really jealous. unimpressed.gif

CLAIMED

ˇ!JabbaScript's Sprite Shop!ˇ

Blastoise Armada ~ Rotom Navy

Quizzes, etc. (click to show)

+Quote Post

Hitomi
post Apr 19 2009, 11:15 AM
Post #8

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Validating
Member No.: 13 090

Active Squad

I totally agree. It would not only help people like my aunt. But it will help us advance into new and better technology.

Please click my dragon eggs so they do not die.

--------------------
Egg Actions Get Code 14 7 5
Egg Actions Get Code 9 4 2
Egg Actions Get Code 9 4 2
Egg Actions Get Code 9 4 1

please click
+Quote Post

JabbaScript
post Apr 19 2009, 11:22 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

Armada ~ Navy

I advise you edit your post before commander wymsy or the epic douche lord raven see it.

--------------------

Party

EGG ADVERTISEMENTS!
PM me with the code for one of your eggs. I'm accepting however many fit on a line at a time. You're welcome. wink.gif
NO LEGENDARIES! They take too long to hatch, taking up room for people's eggs. Plus I'm getting really jealous. unimpressed.gif

CLAIMED

+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Apr 19 2009, 12:02 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Active Squad

Why only us in particular? There's a good 7 people that can catch it and warn him/suspend him (which I just did hur hur ha!!!). Is it because we're the "scariest"? Congrats on breaking like two rules there, though. Calling me an epic douche with no grounds and mini-modding, the former being the only one that really matters. Enjoy a 10% warn.

About the god thing, I suppose that means he wants rapists and murderers to do those horrible things and get away with it?
About the God thing, not everyone believes in him.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Harlyn
post Apr 19 2009, 03:32 PM
Post #11

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 9 951

Active Squad

As long as it was a miscarriage (I'm against any and all abortions) and the parents consent, I think stem cell research should be allowed.

--------------------

Help Rai-Rai and Cani get to lvl 100! =D
+Quote Post

JabbaScript
post Apr 19 2009, 03:49 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

Armada ~ Navy

QUOTE(Lord Raven @ Apr 19 2009, 01:02 PM) *
Why only us in particular? There's a good 7 people that can catch it and warn him/suspend him (which I just did hur hur ha!!!). Is it because we're the "scariest"? Congrats on breaking like two rules there, though. Calling me an epic douche with no grounds and mini-modding, the former being the only one that really matters. Enjoy a 10% warn.

About the God thing, not everyone believes in him.

Because you two are the only ones I know of. No, not the scariest, wymsy sounds pretty cool. What's mini-modding? I was just telling him to hurry up and delete it before he gets banned. Nothing wrong with that. I will. I was expecting that anyway. happy.gif

--------------------

Party

EGG ADVERTISEMENTS!

CLAIMED

+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Apr 19 2009, 04:55 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Active Squad

That's technically mini-modding, but the way you said it made it seem like a genuine thing of advice more than mini-modding which is why I let you off for it. But this is not the place to discuss that.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Swordsalmon
post Apr 20 2009, 05:54 PM
Post #14

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 299

Active Squad

QUOTE(Dys Tuvai @ Apr 13 2009, 04:26 PM) *
And guess what, they don't even really have to use fetuses for it anymore. They supposedly found a way to reset skin cells to stem cell status.

Indeed, to an extent. I need to fine the articles, but scientists have found a way for adult stem cells and testicular cells to behave similarly to embryotic stem cells. In addition, cells found in the umbilical cord also have similar properties, so there's a number of sources for ethical stem cells. I'll go look for the articles and edit this post immediately.

EDIT: Article
According to latest reports, however, this dogma of developmental biology does not hold. Evidently, tissue-specific stem cells have the ability–as has been impressively demonstrated in experiments with animals–to "transdifferentiate" themselves when in a different environment–that is, to take on the cell functions of the new tissue. Thus, neuronal stem cells of mice have transformed themselves into blood stem cells and produced blood cells. Indeed, there are indications of another capability of adult stem cells: Apparently they have the potential to be "reprogrammed." Not only can they adjust to the specific conditions of a new tissue environment, but they can even assume more generalized, earlier levels of development, so that it even appears possible that they become totipotent again.

Anyways, I'm in favour or stem cell research. I do believe it is unethical to concieve and then abort an embryo for the sole purpose of extracting the cells, as the embyro has unique DNA and is will become a unique individual. However, using stem cells from miscarriages and unused embryos from fertility clinics would be a better alternative. This is mainly because the embyro in question will most likely die after implantation, and a moral question of lesser evils to me.

I am very excited about the advancements to improve adult cells and replace embryotic stem cells. Then we can better find cures to various ailments while avoiding a possible moral issue. ^_^.gif

This post has been edited by Swordsalmon: Apr 20 2009, 06:12 PM

--------------------
I have claimed Kanghaskhan.
+Quote Post

dark thunder
post Apr 20 2009, 06:08 PM
Post #15

right...there ^ would not be the best place to be right now
Group Icon

From: im your conscience! by the way dont look behind the curtain
Member No.: 974

Active Squad

im a bit torn, although im mostly biased toward allowing it. i mean it will help/cure many different diseases/ disabilities, but i think the big thing is that some people purposfully just sell them so they can get money, not for any other reason. i just hope(like said a few times before) that the alternate method works, then practically everyone will be with it.

--------------------

Shiny/Tradeables+EV trained (click to show)

EGGs CLICK HERE (click to show)

Some links:

ICANHAS CHEEZBURGER FUNNY PICS
+Quote Post

Failure
post Apr 21 2009, 02:57 AM
Post #16

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Validating
Member No.: 11 665

Active Squad

Go for it. If it helps my grandfather recover from Alzheimers and cures my brother's diabetes, then I'm all for it.
+Quote Post

Airotia
post Apr 23 2009, 07:00 PM
Post #17

I'm ironically hip in some flip universe.
Group Icon

Member No.: 11 515

favvies

I don't see a problem with it. =3 It's kind of like recycling... Why not use fetus cells for good, especially if the fetus has no chance? (Miscarriage or abortion, obviously.)

--------------------

My Shinies
(click to show)

+Quote Post

Bluecrow
post Apr 28 2009, 01:14 PM
Post #18

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 7 757

Active Squad

I'm for it. I had a friend that might have benefited from it if it hadn't been blocked sad.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

oumaghirga
post Jun 13 2009, 07:38 PM
Post #19

Psychologist in Training
Group Icon

Member No.: 27 467

The Bros

QUOTE(Chrona @ Apr 13 2009, 03:35 PM) *
Whether or not you're against abortion, you have to accept that the stem cells will be there either way. There will always be fetuses, either from miscarriages or abortions. Denying using them is like denying organ donors - Sure, the death might be tragic, but we might as well use it for good.

woot.gif
And again I agree with you.

--------------------
Currently a student at the University of Massachusetts Amherst studying in the field of psychology.
[ Pinterest || Steam || Instagram || StumbleUpon ]

"The world is a diagonal... I am the balancing point."

+Quote Post

Judool
post Jun 13 2009, 07:48 PM
Post #20

yooooooooooooo
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 30 429

It think it should be allowed because if the person gets all sad they might commit suicide or become emo.

--------------------

3DS FC: 4682-9068-5409 (be sure to send me a PM with your code too!!)
Nintendo ID: Stinko
tumblr
+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:59 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.