Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Stem cell reaserch
Stem cell
should it be allowed
Yes [ 60 ]  [92.31%]
No [ 5 ]  [7.69%]
Total Votes: 65
Guests cannot vote 

Vicky Chai Tea
post Jun 13 2009, 08:44 PM
Post #21

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 17 962

Active Squad

I am absolutely all for it, so long as they have permission to take the cells. I am against abortion in most circumstances, but so long as the cells are there, might as well take them.

--------------------
I click back full party and warm eggs. I also feed the right fruits <3
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Swellow
post Jun 14 2009, 10:27 PM
Post #22

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 18 124

Active Squad

I'm for it!
My whole family's getting cancer and if there's a way to put an end to it, why not? The fetuses are already dead, aborted, whatever, so there shouldn't be a problem with it.
I might be immoral, though

--------------------
+Quote Post

Illithian
post Jun 15 2009, 01:42 AM
Post #23

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 34 159

Active Squad

I'm all for it, as long as the donor is entirely in agreement to it and is in a fine mental state. If any of that isn't true, then its immoral, but otherwise, allow it.

--------------------

Made by me, for me.
<- I'm an addict. =|
+Quote Post

Sarge
post Jun 15 2009, 01:59 AM
Post #24

is one hoopy frood
Group Icon

Member No.: 11 406

Some of my Faves

I don't care how you feel about abortions. This research can help people, and if it isn't performed then the stem cells just go to waste. What's the point in that?

--------------------
.:: You click; I click. ::.

I'm a college student. Be patient!
==| Sarge uses your Poke'mon's favorite berry |==

yay quizzes (click to show)

+Quote Post

Lung Tien Xiang
post Aug 3 2009, 02:12 PM
Post #25

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 40 465

My Dream Dragon Team

I agree that stem cell research should be done.

Stem cells have amazing potential in the field of medicine. Letting them go to waste is throwing away many lives. People who are pro-life fail to take into account the positive effects of stem cells and the number of lives that will be saved by these amazing cells. I'm sorry, but I can't agree with people who would rather have one unborn fetus instead of one hundred people.

--------------------
My name is Austin, and my Pokemon wear top hats.

My Pokémon (click to show)

+Quote Post

King Calamity
post Aug 4 2009, 06:05 PM
Post #26

Philosopher
Group Icon

Member No.: 15 187

Wonders of Existence

i wouldnt be against it if scientists would show more promising results that it works. i may be behind the ball game here, but the last i heard about two years ago, theres NEVER been a successful human test done with the cells of a dead fetus. there have been successful results of using some type of stem cells from this part of the chest from some of the elderly, but as for fetuses, im against.

--------------------

Previous Names:
The Enigmatic Trainer
SilverTheIronKnight

EGGS (click to show)

CREDITS (click to show)
+Quote Post

Reyo
post Aug 4 2009, 10:15 PM
Post #27

I'm in space...space...spacespace
Group Icon

Member No.: 30 281

space team

I say yes. This science has way too much potential to be shot down with the argument "hurr, I believe in something that not everyone else believes in which says "It's bad" so STOP IT!"

Besides, genetic research, which is actually something that I genuinely hope to take part in, is still an advancing science. It was only recently that it was discovered that your DNA is what makes you capable of doing certain things, like what makes certain bacteria deadly.

I don't want to reveal too much now since people might steal the idea (f-ing moochers) but it could be possible to use cloning to aid in stem cell research......but it's only a thought. (MY thought, so BACK OFF!)

PS, I'm getting some massive deja vu. Has there been a topic on this before?

This post has been edited by Reyo: Aug 4 2009, 10:16 PM

--------------------
space...spacespace...wanna go to space...I'm in space...are we in space...I wanna into space, are you space? Uh oh, space police, stay cool. Space..space..space space..ba ba, ba, ba, bababa, ba, ba space. Dad, are you space? Yes, now we can be a family again. Space space...need...space...need a rocket...wanna buy a rocket? It's for space...need one...buy one from space store...space store...space...space...space supplies...space ship...space rocket...rocket..space...soup...space soup...from space cafe...space waiter there's a space fly in my space soup...spacespace....must...

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-
+Quote Post

Black Ice
post Aug 5 2009, 01:47 PM
Post #28

A New Era
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 28

Active Squad

Chances are if you've thought of it, hundreds of other scientists have also. I also doubt it would work, since you don't really know everything about how genetics work yet. Nobody does.

I'm really pro-choice on this. If a mom has an abortion, why let the fetus go to waste? If the mom wants the child to be used for scientific purposes, why stop her? It's her dead baby, she should get to choose what happens to it.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reyo
post Aug 5 2009, 03:20 PM
Post #29

Group Icon

space team

QUOTE(Black Ice @ Aug 5 2009, 01:47 PM) *
Chances are if you've thought of it, hundreds of other scientists have also. I also doubt it would work, since you don't really know everything about how genetics work yet. Nobody does.

You think I don't know that? I'm just being optimistic. And how does something "not work" just because the one doing the experiment has limited understanding of it? Benjamin Franklin didn't know everything about electricity, and yet HIS experiment worked. Science isn't based on the scientists knowledge of the subject before the conduction of the experiment, it's based on the knowledge LEARNED on the subject AFTER the conduction of the experiment through trial and error.

This post has been edited by Reyo: Aug 5 2009, 03:21 PM

--------------------
space...spacespace...wanna go to space...I'm in space...are we in space...I wanna into space, are you space? Uh oh, space police, stay cool. Space..space..space space..ba ba, ba, ba, bababa, ba, ba space. Dad, are you space? Yes, now we can be a family again. Space space...need...space...need a rocket...wanna buy a rocket? It's for space...need one...buy one from space store...space store...space...space...space supplies...space ship...space rocket...rocket..space...soup...space soup...from space cafe...space waiter there's a space fly in my space soup...spacespace....must...

+Quote Post

HitomiNoRyu
post Aug 5 2009, 08:01 PM
Post #30

Enlightened Basketcase
Group Icon

Member No.: 43 498

My Diamond darlings!

I support stem cell research. Why waste good cells in a pteri dish where they're not going to be used for in vitro fertilization anytime soon?

--------------------
Click on my shiny so you can feed my babies! Help me nurture them!

+Quote Post

Black Ice
post Aug 6 2009, 01:05 AM
Post #31

A New Era
Group Icon

Member No.: 28

Active Squad

QUOTE(Reyo @ Aug 5 2009, 03:20 PM) *

You think I don't know that? I'm just being optimistic. And how does something "not work" just because the one doing the experiment has limited understanding of it? Benjamin Franklin didn't know everything about electricity, and yet HIS experiment worked. Science isn't based on the scientists knowledge of the subject before the conduction of the experiment, it's based on the knowledge LEARNED on the subject AFTER the conduction of the experiment through trial and error.

Yay for two examples. What about everyone else who failed? I said I doubt it, not that it wasn't possible.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reyo
post Aug 6 2009, 11:42 AM
Post #32

Group Icon

space team

QUOTE(Black Ice @ Aug 6 2009, 01:05 AM) *
QUOTE(Reyo @ Aug 5 2009, 03:20 PM) *

Yay for two examples. What about everyone else who failed? I said I doubt it, not that it wasn't possible.

ok, I'm REALLY not going to get in a debate about the scientific method in a thread about Stem Cell research with a mod. This has "bad" written all over it. Though I will leave you with this. If all scientific experiments conducted by scientists who knew very little about the subject were doomed to fail, then how would we learn so much about the subject? If the scientist already knew everything about the subject before doing the experiment for the first time, why would he even bother doing the experiment? To prove a hypothesis? A hypothesis is an educated guess which can be proven wrong. A scientist who knew everything on the subject wouldn't be making Hypothesis...es, he'd me making laws, which is something that can't be said about Evolution, Cell theory, Germ theory, and Gene theory.

Any further questions can be dealt with via PM, but I don't feel like wasting anymore of nebz's post.

PS, 2 examples > 0 examples.

PPS, I'm still for Stem Cell research.

This post has been edited by Reyo: Aug 6 2009, 11:43 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Iconox
post Oct 4 2009, 06:31 PM
Post #33

Romantic Misanthropist
Group Icon

Member No.: 34 260

Legend League

The Japanese have created a similar process to that of embryonic stem cells that does not invole fetuses, so embryonic stem cell research is slaughtering children, plain and simple.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reyo
post Oct 4 2009, 07:27 PM
Post #34

Group Icon

space team

QUOTE(Iconox @ Oct 4 2009, 06:31 PM) *
The Japanese have created a similar process to that of embryonic stem cells that does not invole fetuses, so embryonic stem cell research is slaughtering children, plain and simple.

The word "slaughter" is an emotionally charged term, and using it makes you come off as someone who doesn't know how to conduct himself properly in a debate.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Iconox
post Oct 5 2009, 07:37 AM
Post #35

Romantic Misanthropist
Group Icon

Legend League

QUOTE(Reyo @ Oct 4 2009, 08:27 PM) *

The word "slaughter" is an emotionally charged term, and using it makes you come off as someone who doesn't know how to conduct himself properly in a debate.

Definition of Slaughter from the American Herritage Dictionary:

TRANSITIVE VERB:
slaugh·tered , slaugh·ter·ing , slaugh·ters

1)To kill (animals) especially for food; butcher.

2) a. To kill (people) in large numbers; massacre.
b. To kill in a violent or brutal manner.

For one, that has NOTHING to do with my post, so you're just trying to look smart by ridiculing my word choice, very tolerant of you. Secondly, tens of millions of babies are killed by meathods of abortion and stem cell research, and they are killed by various painful procedures, looks like the exact definition of slaughter to me, huh?

This post has been edited by Iconox: Oct 5 2009, 08:21 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Chrona
post Oct 5 2009, 09:11 AM
Post #36

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 7 052

Active Squad

Umm...but it's not slaughtering or killing the fetuses in the first place. Abortion is a *completely* separate topic from this, but while abortions happen the stem cells WILL be there. I think it's best to use them, instead of just tossing the fetuses (Who are going to die whether or not you like it) into the garbage

--------------------

<-- Click here to join TPPA, an online Pokemon RPG =D
+Quote Post

Iconox
post Oct 5 2009, 09:49 AM
Post #37

Romantic Misanthropist
Group Icon

Legend League

What do you mean? Are you saying that fetuses are born DEAD? It's still killing. I'm starting to get annoyed that nobody really replies to my debate posts and just say random things instead.

This post has been edited by Iconox: Oct 5 2009, 09:50 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Chrona
post Oct 5 2009, 11:36 AM
Post #38

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 7 052

Active Squad

You're saying that it's bad to kill fetuses, which means you're against abortion. However, the dead fetuses are still out there, why not use them for the best? It's not like the ones who are already dead will disappear, they're waiting in the freezers to be tested. Would you rather use them for research, or throw them into the trash

--------------------

<-- Click here to join TPPA, an online Pokemon RPG =D
+Quote Post

Iconox
post Oct 5 2009, 01:20 PM
Post #39

Romantic Misanthropist
Group Icon

Legend League

You could do that, but there's no reason to kill more due to the promising alternatives.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reyo
post Oct 5 2009, 01:58 PM
Post #40

Group Icon

space team

QUOTE(Iconox @ Oct 5 2009, 07:37 AM) *
QUOTE(Reyo @ Oct 4 2009, 08:27 PM) *

Definition of Slaughter from the American Herritage Dictionary:

TRANSITIVE VERB:
slaugh·tered , slaugh·ter·ing , slaugh·ters

1)To kill (animals) especially for food; butcher.

2) a. To kill (people) in large numbers; massacre.
b. To kill in a violent or brutal manner.

For one, that has NOTHING to do with my post, so you're just trying to look smart by ridiculing my word choice, very tolerant of you. Secondly, tens of millions of babies are killed by meathods of abortion and stem cell research, and they are killed by various painful procedures, looks like the exact definition of slaughter to me, huh?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/charged

2.charged - fraught with great emotion; "an atmosphere charged with excitement"; "an emotionally charged speech" superchargedemotional - of more than usual emotion; "his behavior was highly emotional"

You could have said "kill" instead of slaughter, which is incorrect anyway, but that's not what I'm getting at. When you said "slaughter" instead of kill, you used a term that is meant to spark emotion instead of intelligent debate. It's like specifying 9/11 in a speech about a current disaster. 9/11 has nothing to do with today's society. It had alot to do with society 8 years ago, but bringing it up now only serves to bring people to your side with the use iof emotions and not fact.

Tell me, which sounds better.
"He killed the intruder."
"He mutilated the intruder."

Don't answer out loud because I know which one you'll say. You'll say the first one despite the fact that the second one is emotionally charged just to spite me. If slaughter means kill, then why say slaughter? Why not just say "kill"? I know that it's "true" by definition, so it's also true with the word "kill."

And to be honest, I don't have to try this hard to prove how smart I am.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:18 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.