Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
Getting the Metalliclaws Out!
Living Arrow
post Aug 16 2009, 03:29 PM
Post #1

Team Rogue: Pidgeotto
Group Icon

Group: RP Moderators
Member No.: 814

PANE: Darryn Kellor

The cold winds of Arasam curled through the streets on their aloof courses around the mountain, drawing puffs of steam from the mouths of the pedestrians in the city. Four trainers walked those streets with a destination clearly in mind but none of them really knew what they would do once they got there. The lack of expectation was unnerving to all of them but one in particular was down right petrified.

Holy crap! I’m not ready for this! Two hours prep and hardly a combination worth mentioning between my two battlers? I might as well take the runner-up token now!

Darryn chewed angrily at the insides of his cheeks, silently berating himself for falling for Troy’s persistent charms. Despite having the support of his friends and the accessories needed to make a fine entrance in a Contest Appeal, he really didn’t feel all that appealing. The past two hours had flown by and now he was being herded into the second embarrassment of the day. How Darryn managed to get himself into these things was a mystery but he always was a sucker for pretty boys.

“The one thing you must remember is to use your Pokemon’s power completely. I don’t mean its strength or speed. What I mean is its inner ability to refine its attacks into their most efficient and impressive forms. Let’s take your Butterfree for example.” Troy coached Darryn from a bench on the side of the sparring field at the Pokemon Center. Jaima was busy with Meiko on the other field but for some reason, Tuesday had chosen to watch Darryn train for a while.
The topic of focus for the moment was the Appeal Round. Apparently, only one Pokemon could be selected and it was an opportunity to show of the Pokemon’s quality of care and raising by effectively showing off its attacks and abilities in a chosen category. Since he would have to save his strongest Pokemon for the Battling Round, Darryn had decided to go with India for the appeal. lady, November and Bravo would be with Joy for hours yet, still recovering from their Gym battle previously. Lady had protested that Darryn should take part in any form of battling without her there, but the Nurse had sedated her before she had oppotunity to burn his face off. Even so, Lady had fought the drowziness and managed to convince Darryn to allow her to come and watch, despite being wrapped in several bandages.

“She’s called India, by the way.” Darryn corrected Troy, smiling up at the round purple face looking down at him from her perch on the human’s head.

You’re called India! Stop interrupting and listen up!” Troy whined, pouting like a child. Darryn didn’t really see the pout as such. Instead, the perfect formation of those full lips caught his attention, making him feel so…
“OK, so what you need to do is select an attack and perfect its execution while making sure you are able to move into the next move as smoothly as possible so it doesn’t look too rehersed.”

“O…K… doesn’t seem too hard…” Darryn held a finger to his chin in thought for a moment. “Now… what moves does India have again?... Right, I remember!” His Butterfree swept off his head and out onto the field, her wings wide and firm as she prepared to show off her moves. “Let’s go with Stun Spore, India.”

The Butterfree climbed higher in the air and squealed with delight, spinning slowly while beating her wings and released gold-yellow spores into the air. The shimmering motes of paralysing dust fell in a spiral cascade even as India soared higher, creating a golden-fountain.

“OK, India. Stop it now and use Gust to keep the spores in the air around you. Remember what Troy said though, and keep it smooth as possible!”

“So, Darryn. How did the combinations for your appeal come together? They’re probably not as good as Jaima’s, mind.” Meiko teased as they made their way up the street towards the Contest Hall. Darryn looked at her out of the corner of his eye and held his breath. Saying ‘I doubt it’ would be rude but saying ‘Yeah, you’re right’ would be defeatist.

“They looked really really good by the end of the training.” Tuesday piped up for once. Darryn hope she was right. He really wanted Troy, an experienced Co-ordinator, to be able to see that his beautification techniques were just as efficient even if he had been focusing on the strength and power of his battlers for Gym battles.

The Contest Hall came into view. A grand building that looked more like a sports arena from the outside by with so many bright lights and star-shaped ornaments, rippling banners and uniformed employees made it so much more garish than the bland counterpart Gym on the other side of town. Spectators, yes – SPECTATORS, were buying tickets at the entrance and making their way inside with big smiles on their faces and autographs books in their hands. One particular group of people had clearly come as fans of a particular Co-ordinator, all dressed in the same bright pink with a banner reading “The Grace of Stacie” shared between them. Darryn gulped.

“I had no idea it was such a popular event… There’s going to be an audience, like a proper one from shows on tv. Why wasn’t I told this before?!” Darryn demanded of no-one in particular, crying inside as they drew closer to the contestant registration booth at the side entrance, away from the growing crowd at the main doors. “We should probably just go to Petropolis instead.”

“Oh, man up, Darryn!” Meiko poked him in the ribs. “It’s just a few people – they can’t hurt you.”

“A FEW!?” Darryn gestured at the seething mass of people. “Does that look like a few to you?! They’ll all be watching and expecting so much and I’ve never even done this before! God, my routine is so stupid and I’m going to make a complete fool of myself… Let’s just go back to the Pokemon Center and saddle up for the south west? Next badge. Right, Jaima? How’s that sound instead?”

--------------------
Darryn Kellor ~ ~ PANE Moderator ~ ~ Lori Pardare
PANE Characters (click to show)
LA's Plays (click to show)

Unovalocke (click to show)
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Umbrae Calamitas
post Aug 17 2009, 01:13 AM
Post #2

Team Rogue: Espeon
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 5 443

Tuesday's Pack

Tuesday looked up (This whole being shorter than everyone else thing is becoming tedious) at Darryn and grinned. "Don't be a scaredy-skitty, Darryn," she teased lightly. "Where's all your mucho-super confidence from earlier today?"

"It all died in a flaming burst of defeat," he muttered darkly.

Tuesday hid a snicker, very nearly having to clap her hands over her mouth to do so, since the first words that came to mind were "I sense manly tears approaching." Rather than be excessively rude, however, she smiled at him reassuringly. "You'll do fine, Darryn. Besides, Jaima already won the gym battle. He's not going to be greedy and win this, too."

"Great, so neither of us will win!" Darryn said. "Let's just go."

"Stop being such a baby," Meiko scolded him, glaring.

Tuesday tied. "You two bicker worse than Brone and Anika," she said, shaking her head. "It's a good thing you're gay, Darryn, or I'd suggest marriage. The two of you fight like a husband and wife."

"Tuesday!" Meiko said, startled and embarrassed.

"What?" she asked, but couldn't hide her grin. "I'm just saying. Lighten up, both of you. You're worse than Poe."

"Who?" Meiko asked.

Tuesday sighed. "Nevermind. Darryn, if you back out of this now, I will quote every piece of literature I know on the way to Petropolis and you will die of brain overload."

"Please, spare us," Jaima said to Darryn, grinning at Tuesday's tactic.

Darryn let his shoulders drop. "I don't know why I let you people talk me into this," he mumbled.

"No one talks you into anything," Meik jibed. "All you need is one fluttered eyelash from your boyfriend-"

"HE ISN'T MY BOYFRIEND!" Darryn snapped loudly.

"Anyone I know?"

Tuesday snickered as Darryn turned around to come face-to-face with none other than Troy, smirking in what may have been victory at the now-blushing contestant. "Geez, Darryn goes all mushy for Troy like Scarlet for Rhett."

"Who?" Meiko asked, looking down at Tuesday.

The smaller girl sighed heavily. "Nevermind."

"You know, Darryn may make it through the whole contest," Meiko said thoughtfully, before grinning, "but he better not look at Troy at all during it. One smile his way and he's liable to go completely brain dead."

"He wouldn't let it end like that." Tuesday smiled as they headed to the stands, taking their seats. She sat down right next to Meiko and found Jaima with her eyes, before turning her attention back to Darryn.

"I wouldn't count Darryn out just yet," Tuesday assured Meiko. "You didn't see him practicing." She grinned. "I bet we're in for quite a show. Darryn might just be the Inigo Montoya of contest battling."

Meiko smiled softly, before turning and giving Tuesday a funny look. "Who?"

Tuesday let her shoulders sag with a sigh. "Nevermind."

Leaning back in the seat, Tuesday crossed her legs and pulled out her sketchbook. Lots of pokemon to sketch, a good show to watch, and two awesome friends to root for.

This was going to be awesome.

--------------------
[align=center]

UPRISING MODERATOR[/align]
+Quote Post

Master Houndoom
post Aug 17 2009, 04:04 PM
Post #3

Team Rogue: Houndoom
Group Icon

Member No.: 804

Uprising Mod

This... Was going to suck.

Jaima had never once been this nervous. Not facing Chloe, not facing Otis, not even when facing Lemonade, and that had been his very first battle ever. But here, in this contest hall, wearing a silk (silk!) Green embroidered gi top and black silk (siiiilk!) black loose pants, he was nervous. He hoped, beyond all hope, that he wasn't sweating. He was wearing silk (he couldn't believe he was wearing silk!), and that was bad to sweat in.

Darryn, across from him, looked like Jaima felt. Nervous, out of his element... But not uncomfortable in his own clothes. Then again, he was probably used to wearing such expensive, or at least good looking, clothing. Not Jaima. He was used to wearing hand-me-downs, thrift store finds, old, unused, and dyed martial arts wear (it'd taken his mother three days of coaxing to get him to spring for the green dye after he'd gotten the job at the lab).

When Meiko had once again hauled out her wallet and told him in no uncertain terms that not only was he participating in the contest for Darryn's comfort, but was also going to let her dress him and pay for it if need be, he was too surprised to answer. She pulled him to the computer and typed in (easily, meaning she'd probably been to this site before) the address of a shop in Johto. She looked him over (and he found himself blushing at how long it took her to do so) and then keyed in several items, showing them to him while leaving her hand over the price.

He'd wanted to say no. He'd wanted to tell her there was no reason to spend so much money on such an extravagance, for something he likely would wear only one time ever. However, looking into her round igglybuff stare with that hopeful, excited smile, somehow "no" turned to "ok" in transit from his brain to his mouth, and she'd squealed, clapped, and hopped as she turned to confirm the order.

The next thing he knew, a small clear ball with green and black cloth inside was delivered through the computer, and Meiko popped it open to release the most expensive looking clothing he'd ever seen. She had even picked out (silk!) underwear!

When he left to try it on, at her eager urging, Jaima contemplated why he was kowtowing to this girl, an old friend, yes, but still, someone he hadn't seen for more than a week at a time since she started her journey. He came to only one conclusion.

He was weak.

He waited for the introductions to start. He had no delusions that his appeals round would be anything less than a disaster. But Meiko was right: He wasn't here for himself, he was here to support Darryn.

If only there weren't all these... spectators

This was going to be awesome! Meiko was nervous, yes, but not as much for Jaima as for Darryn. He so needed the boost in confidence that winning would bring. Or even getting past the appeals!

For someone who had no desire to be in a contest, Meiko had a lot of knowledge. This was thanks to her mother, who, before she began to stand up for herself about it, pressed Meiko to learn about them. Meiko did so, and continued to do so, but now it was with a sly smile and a bit of knowledge that Meiko didn't think that her mother had: the new fad coming to Johto was not contests, it was pokéthlons. And that was right up her alley.

Still, she knew what an appeal was, and coached Jaima through the process. He didn't look thrilled, or confident, or anything he'd been in the gym arena, but that was OK. Having him there would mean a lot to Darryn once he stopped being a Nervous Numel. Honestly, he had this in the bag if he were any judge.

Unless, that is, Jaima surprised her like he had in the gym. Then Jaima's win hands down.

She settled next to Tuesday and smiled. Dressing Jaima had been... fun. He'd been so shellshocked he hadn't even thrown a fit.

It was like... it was fun. She blushed. His allowing her to dress him and taking her advice had given her a nice warm feeling.

The contest hall went quiet. It was time for the appeals.

--------------------
[align=center]Uprising Mod

||
Jaima Kuonji and Meiko Omura||Branwys Muphenz
[spoiler=Jaima's Gym Badges][/spoiler]
PANE

||
Jay Lange||Olivia Prewitt
Uprising

As of January 29, 2010, at approximately 7:50am CST, 2gamers helped me complete my pokedex!

:houndoom: I claim Houndoom! :houndoom: [/align]
+Quote Post

Umbrae Calamitas
post Aug 18 2009, 12:02 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Tuesday's Pack

Meiko... would probably have been marked on the Weird Scale right next to Tuesday, if she ever visited Pallet Town. Or, at least, if she ever visited Pallet Town while thinking about Jaima.

No, Tuesday was not a mind reader, but nor was she stupid. Meiko's eyes were following Jaima across the floor as her smile grew and then a blush tinged her cheeks. Tuesday was only twelve and so had yet to hit the stage where she found boys physically attractive, but even she could see that Jaima looked very nice in his forest-green gi.

Tuesday had looked around at the various pokemon that other trainers had out of their pokeballs. She had sketched both a fiesty chikorita and what looked to be a timid monferno. However, she had since turned her sketchpad toward the idea of capturing a picture of Meiko, though she made certain to turn so that the girl wouldn't see what she was drawing. She would probably disagree that she was currently going googly-eyed over a boy, but, well... she was.

Tuesday smiled as she traced out the line of Meiko's cheekbone, thinking idly to herself that she would have to tell Brone about her new friends.

Oh! Tuesday stopped drawing, startled. I forgot.

After she had dressed and danced out into the lobby of the pokemon centre, she had been greeted first by Mr. Postman, who, apparently belated, delivered a letter to her. They hadn't had time to dawdle, so Tuesday took only long enough to see that the letter was from Brone, and not about him.

In all the excitement of seeing her first contest, however, she had completely forgotten about the letter!

With a grin, Tuesday closed her sketchbook and pulled out Brone's letter. Making sure that nothing was yet happening with Darryn or Jaima, she began to read and catch up on news back home.

Letter to Tuesday from Brone, avec reactions (click to show)

Grinning from ear-to-ear like a cat that ate an entire bird collection, Tuesday slipped the letter back into her bag and glanced up to see the contestants' order being decided.

Perfect timing.

--------------------
[align=center]

+Quote Post

Living Arrow
post Aug 18 2009, 02:56 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

“No no nooo…” Darryn moaned quietly, his palms sweating madly as he huddled with the Co-ordinators that had assembled behind the curtains at the side of the stage. So many of those faces were just as nervous as his own but they were completely outnumbered by the confident grins that played around the others. It just made Darryn feel worse.

Tuesday looked up at Darryn with a hopeful smile of encouragement but, as usual, she left it at a facial expression and allowed Jaima and Meiko to offer the words of support instead. The girl looked tired and in need of a make-over but Darryn didn’t have the time to fawn over a child – other things had to come first, if only for a couple of hours.

“Aaaand WELCOME to the Arasam Contest Hall here atop the Magnificent Mount Carello!” A bold, brash voice announced loudly over the loud-speakers, stemming from a petite woman stood in the middle of the stage, clutching a golden microphone. Her hair was a tawny brown, her smile wide and easy and her eyes bright and cheerfully blue. Her outfit consisted a skirt so thin that Darryn thought at first she was only wearing a belt, a tank top, pink and white sneakers and leg-warmers. That meant she could only be one person. Gillian Meridian – the Contest Announcer of Furoh.

“Registration took place only an hour ago and all of our stunning Co-ordinators have taken their places backstage but first, let’s meet our judges!” Gillian swept an arm in the direction of the ornately constructed desk at the front of the stage. Four figures sat there, all waiting patiently for the ceremony to end and the competition to begin.

“First off, we have our Pokemon Contest Director - Mr Contesta!”
“I am very happy to be here!”

“Next up is the President of the Pokemon Fan Club! Mr Sukizo!”
“I’m going to be looking for something truly remarkable!”

“And the third member of the panel is our very own Nurse Joy!”
“I must say it is wonderful to see so many enthusiastic Co-ordinators with us today!”

The crowd roared into a frenzy of whistles and cheers that drummed a thunder worse than any Darryn had ever heard into the walls of the Contest Hall. The ground shook under its furore, dying down only a little as Gillian made her next announcement.

“And for our final Judge for the Appeals Round, it’s our very own Hall Leader. Give it up for-”

~~~

“And the Pokemon that you are entering for your Appeal Round is-?” The registration clerk asked Darryn as he fidgeted nervously at the kiosk. He lifted up his Net Ball and clicked it into the scanner.

“My Butterfree, India.” He said, hoping that she was truly up to what he was going to ask of her.

“Okie dokie… and your two Pokemon for the Battling Round, should you proceed?”

“That would be my Jolteon – Romeo – and my Cranidos – Zulu.” Darryn said again, pushing the Quick and Luxury Balls into the scanner. Images of all three Pokemon swept onto the screen with their names and health details.

“Alrighty… now we just need to know what category you’re entering them for.” The clerk went on, not even looking up from her computer screen. Darryn chewed his lip. He was completely new to the idea of categories so had gone along with Troy’s loose descriptions that had been given in his extremely brief training.

“Ok, so I’d like India in for Beauty, Romeo Cool and Zulu’s a Tough entrant.” Darryn said again, hoping – no - *praying* that those had been the right choices.

“Very well… take a selection of ball capsules and seals from the box behind you and you’re all set!” The clerk’s practiced smile couldn’t have looked more plastic than she tried. “Take the second door on your right, third left, through the double doors, right and up two flights of stairs, straight on and the men’s dressing room is on the left. M’kay?”

Darryn blinked. No? That wasn’t “m’kay”, that was very NOT “m’kay”!

“Yeah, thanks.” Darryn said out of habit and cursed himself as he joined Jaima and they made their way to get ready.

~~~

“Give it up for TROY!!!”

If the shock of the original applause was enough to make the backstage Co-ordinators gasp, this next bout was scream-drawing.

“Troy!?” Darryn squealed, pushing past a few younger Co-ordinators to see across the stage properly. Those beautiful icy eyes were already looking directly at him, twisted by a smile that looked all too… smug.

“Your boyfriend is the Hall Leader!?” Meiko hissed, “Why didn’t you say?!”

“NOT my boyfriend! I just assumed he was a Co-ordinator – he never said he actually Led the Hall!”

“Is this his sort of date if yours was a Gym Match?” Jaima asked, looking nearly as mischievous as Meiko.

“NOT a date!”

“Now, if you would all turn your attention to the screen, we’ll see the running order for the entrants! This has all been selected by impartial lottery and Co-ordinators should get into their positions immediately. So, with no further ado, here is how our evening shall play out!” Gillian announced again, a massive screen flickering to life above the stage. Photos of each Co-ordinator began appearing one by one, marking who would follow who out onto the stage for their Appeal.

As each face materialised, Darryn’s breath caught, waiting for his own to stare back at him.

“There’s Jaima!” Tuesday pointed at the screen, marking their friend as the twelfth entrant to be called out.

“And there’s Darryn!” Meiko pointed at the bottom right of the screen. “He’s last… let’s hope that’s not irony…”

--------------------

+Quote Post

Umbrae Calamitas
post Aug 19 2009, 02:08 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Tuesday's Pack

Tuesday and Meiko were back in the stands.

After Darryn and Jaima had registered their pokemon, Meiko and Tuesday had joined them to learn the order of contestants. With Jaima being 12th and Darryn last, Tuesday would have a chance to watch other contestants do their appeals and learn the way of it, before either of her friends played their hand.

Zorro and Tempest were now sitting as far apart as they could without leaving Meiko and Tuesday. Zorro was sitting next to Tuesday, but Tempest had moved over to the other side of Meiko. Tuesday was a little surprised by that, as Tempest had never been very trusting of people or other pokemon. For whatever reason, however, she wasn't bothered by this group that Tuesday had chosen. Maybe it was because Tuesday trusted them so explicitly.

"All right, ladies and gentlemen! Let's bring out our first contestant," the announcer spoke into the microphone. "Everyone, let's give a warm welcome to Terrence Devido and Jackie the monferno!"

The boy that Tuesday had seen before while she was sketching his monferno appeared, walking into the show area. His monferno walked beside him, looking nervous. Yes, clearly timid by nature.

The boy was tall and thin, with dark brown hair swept back over his head. Even from this distance, Tuesday could see that his eyes were a startling dark blue.

The announcer, who had vanished from the show area to reappear in the stands, spoke again in the microphone.

"You may begin."

Terrence turned his head to look at his monferno. "Jackie, use flame wheel," he said confidently.

The monferno let out a cry. Her tail swung in a circle behind her, the flame on the end blazing brilliantly. With a monkeyish shriek, she flipped backward, through the ring of fire that she had left behind. She continued to move, her tail whipping around her as she flipped, somersaulted, and then twisted in the air, the swift movements causing something of a light show as the flames lingered like the remnants of a July 4th sparkler in the air.

Finally, after one final twist, the monferno somersaulted midair, and landed firmly on her feet, her tail settling behind her.

The crowd erupted into applause, Tuesday clapping along with them. She was biased, of course, fire being her favorite element. She couldn't deny that what she had just witnessed had been a brilliant show, but there were many other trainers yet to go.

"Thank you, Terrence and Jackie, for that wonderful performance. And now, ladies and gentlemen, let us move on to our next contestant. Please welcome Samantha Lorenzo and her Floatzel, Tyrone."

The pretty latino girl danced out into the show arena with an otter-like pokemon at her side. The floatzel seemed to strut out onto the field and nearly began before the call was given.

"You may begin."

"You know what to do, Tyrone," Samantha told her pokemon. "Whirlpool."

The Floatzel hunkered down, presumably to gather energy, before throwing his head back and released a swirling blast of water from his mouth, straight into the air above him.

"Now, Aqua Jet through it to break it up, Tyrone!"

"Flo!" The Floatzel's entire body was covered with water when he spat a sharp water gun at the ground, blasting himself into the air and somersaulting right through the center of his whirlpool.

The whirlpool seemed to shatter abruptly into a million water droplets, which spread outward in various directions, each catching the light and sparkling like diamonds.

The Floatzel flipped and headed for the ground feet-first. Everything might have worked out perfectly if not for the tremendous amount of mud from his attacks. The Floatzel slipped the moment his paws touched the ground and he crashed face-first into a puddle, eliciting a roar of laughter from the crowd.

"Oh, too bad," the announcer declared with a pained expression. "It seems Tyrone could use some practice on his landings, or perhaps it would be better if he kept his feet on the ground or in the water. Now, let's move onto our next contestant, Jeremy Scarlet and his Aipom, George."

Tuesday continued to watch as trainer after trainer brought their pokemon out into the show arena to give their appeals. Some of them were really good, but some were also fairly bad. When Jaima's turn finally came, she was more than ready to see what he had in store.

--------------------
[align=center]

+Quote Post

Master Houndoom
post Aug 20 2009, 03:04 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Uprising Mod

Jaima looked at the woman in the kiosk next to Darryns. She was elegantly dressed, but obviously bored of her current role in the Contest happenings of the day. If she'd had gum, she'd be snapping it. "Name?"

"Jaima Kuonji."

"Pokemon, contest type, and round they will be in?" At Jaima's confused look, she rolled her eyes. "You get one pokémon for appeals and two for combat should you be chosen to pass the appeals round."

"Oh, I know that," Jaima said, sheepishly. "I just don't know what a contest type is."

The woman stared at him blankly, then huffed a sigh. "There are five contest types: Beauty, Cool, Smart, Tough, and Cute." Her eyes wrinkled a bit at the corners, showing a hint of pleasure in her otherwise annoyed façade. Evidently she enjoyed cute contests the most. "Your appeals will have to match a certain kind, and your pokémon is also judged by his or her appearance based on the type. In the battle round, your combinations will also be judged based on how well they match type." She looked at him, not quite glaring, but wishing him away with such force that Jaima swallowed. "So what are your pokémon, their contest types, and the round they'll be in?"

"Umm," Jaima said. It was evidently the wrong answer. The woman started tapping the end of her pen on the desk in annoyance. Jaima straightened. "Shadow, my Lucario... um... tough... Appeals!"

"Lu," the lucario blinked at Jaima, who shrugged at him.

"Mercury, my Kirlia, Beauty (Thank you, Trainer Jaima!) , and Grondir, my Ivysaur, Tough, for battle!" Jaima smiled hopefully at the woman, who wrote it down and nodded.

"Music?"

Jaima looked from side to side, then leaned in a bit, whispering. "Were we supposed to bring music..?"

The woman's eyes actually widened, then she shrugged. "We'll find you something." She completed the form, then pointed to a set of double doors. "Follow the arrows to the dressing room. Men's is marked clearly. You'll be disqualified for peeking into the girl's room, we've had problems with that." Jaima frowned, but still bowed politely as he took his sheet.

He and Darryn made their way to the dressing room to get ready.

Meiko and Tuesday had made their way backstage somehow for the introduction of the judges, and Jaima did not miss the look on Meiko's face when Nurse Joy, the same Joy he'd been close to in Lenoilia, was announced as a judge. Despite the uncomfortable tension, however, both the girls' presence was a comfort. At least for Jaima.

He couldn't help joining Meiko in some teasing of their friend, and was rewarded with the unconscious glee of watching someone deny the obvious. It was a little shady that Troy had invited him to be a contestant like this when he was the hall leader, but simply inviting Darryn did not guarantee him to pass the appeals round, let alone grant him an instant win.

For all he knew about Troy, challenging Darryn to a contest was the man's idea of a date.

He watched from the sidelines as Meiko and Tuesday made their way back to their seats, Meiko having forgotten Nurse Joy in the face of seeing Jaima in the outfit she'd bought him. He smiled back before they were too far away to see him and waved, then concentrated on his Appeal.

It seemed to take no time for his turn to arrive, and though he walked out serenely, he was thankful for the loose garment he was wearing, which hid his trembling so long as he controlled his hands.

"Shadow, Detect!" Jaima swallowed, but Shadow performed brilliantly, stepping back and allowing his eyes to flash. "Now Iron Claw!"

Shadow lunged forward, striking at the air, then got a slightly mischievous look in his eye. He took a second step forward and struck, this time at Jaima. The crowd gasped, but Shadow's training had always included sneak attacks, and Jaima blocked and countered almost without thinking about it.

"What are you doooiiiing," he muttered to the Lucario, faking a smile. Shadow winked, then pressed the attack. He wasn't moving at nearly his full speed, and though it may have seemed fast to the non-martial artists in the crowd, someone more experienced than Jaima would have thought the lucario was taking it easy.

After a few strikes, Jaima's instinct took over, and he was striking back, sucking low to sweep only to jump over a counter low kick, rolling on his shoulder to pass Shadow and spin with a backfist. True to her word, music came over the speakers, a kind of thumping techno beat that Jaima never really listened to outside of certain martial arts and dance (Mariko's favorite type) and racing (Surprisingly, his mother's secret shame) movies. Shadow began to speed up, a small amount, to match the music, and Jaima was forced to do so as well.

When it was over, Jaima was panting a bit, but in a mirrored stance to Shadow's, and the audience was dead silent. Until Meiko began clapping, followed by Joy, who was wide eyed and just beginning to smile. Soon the audience was joining in with enthusiastic light applause.

Jaima smiled and bowed to the audience, Shadow mimicking him in synch, and they walked off the stage together. Jaima looked at Shadow, and someone came back and handed him two notes. One was in blocky, neat hand writing. That was really Cool. It's Tough that you didn't have more time to prepare. Better luck next time, Troy. Jaima blinked at the note, then a flash of understanding hit him. He hadn't used the moves from the right contest style. With a puff of air out of his cheeks, he headed to back. If he hadn't made it through his appeal round, he was going to go sit with the girls, but he wanted to tell Darryn good luck first.

--------------------

||
PANE

||
Uprising

As of January 29, 2010, at approximately 7:50am CST, 2gamers helped me complete my pokedex!

+Quote Post

Living Arrow
post Aug 21 2009, 02:36 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

OOC - Disclaimer (click to show)

"Darryn? Daaarryyyn?"

Darryn blinked twice, shaking his head to snap himself from the world he had spent so long trying to escape to. Everything had gone so fast. The first appeal. The second. Jaima's. The world was spinning with the intensity of it all, a calamity of noise and lights that swirled in and out of Darryn's mind like a kaleidoscope of delusion that seduced him into false securities and temporary insanity.

"S-sorry, Jai." Darryn blinked and smiled softly, trying desperately to quell the nausea rising in his throat. "You did amazingly well out there... But I think your appeal was a little off given your category... It was still cool, though. You really need to teach me how to throw a punch and a kick like that!"

"Huh, thanks Darryn." Jaima scratched at the back of his head. "I guess preparation is the key to these things, huh?"

Darryn gulped and that nausea jumped right onto the back of his tongue. He had spent possibly the shortest time in Contest history preparing for this. Nothing could make him feel any less prepared. Well, he was more prepared than Jaima had been.

"Anyway, I wanted to wish you luck before you go out there - it's not as bad as it might seem, really." Jaima offered, trying to pry a smile out of Darryn.

"You're a terrible liar, Jaima." Darryn muttered, rolling his eyes and smiling weakly back. They laughed and jaima clapped Darryn on the shoulder, leaving him to join the short queue of Co-ordinators that were left to enter the stage. The seconds seemed to count down in double time, Darryn's entry jumping towards him like a Spoink on crack.

"And last but not least, we have Darryn Kellor from Celadon City!" Gillian announced Darryn's entry with all the flair and gusto of a professional Master of Ceremonies and, with a shocking flair of confidence that came from Darryn's bones, he walked onto the stage with his head held high. As we walked, he reached up to fasten his microphone to his ear where it curled around his cheek to rest a little to the side of his mouth. Jaima, Tuesday and Meiko all gaped from the side of the stage.

"Since when was he going to sing?!" Meiko demanded, her eyes wide as saucers.

"Same time he put on those dancing shoes?" Tuesday offered, a mild frown tugged her brow.

"Good questions girls but think about this... How does he fit all that in his bag?!" Jaima gasped.

Darryn gulped for the final time as India's Pokeball miraculously found his hand. He primed the ball capsule and span on the spot, tossing the orb aloft in a swift, smooth, stylish motion.

"India, the stage is yours!"

Pink and red hearts, accompanied by a dusting of confetti seals flooded the air as India came rushing out of her Pokeball, spinning upwards completely in time with Darryn's own pirouette. The snapped to a halt as one, Darryn's hair whipping loosely around his face over his smiling, nay, grinning face while India mimicked him with her expertly-tied cerise ribbon that Darryn had put on her to wear as an accessory.
The crowd immediately whooped and shouted encouragement after seeing such a performance simply for the initial entry, applause snatching at the air even as Darryn's song began. He touched a finger to his mic to ensure its position before the act began and sent out a prayer of hope that everythign would go smoothly.

The fist few chords hit the airwaves and Darryn's mouth opened to reveal his voice. Clear, crisp counter-tenor tones drew forth from his lips as he began the routine, India flying above him and moving in sync while executing her attacks in the following manner:

Darryn and India - Arasam Contest Hall (click to show)

Even before the appluase had chance to die, Darryn found himself already moving away from the stage, the excitement of all he ahd done overwhelming him completely. India squealed with delight atop his head as he reached backstage, his legs feeling like they were made of concrete and about to break at any moment. He saw his friends hurrying towards him but couldn't stop himself from collapsing into a seat, panting heavily drinking in air greedily.

He had done it. The Appeals were over. Now all he needed to hear were the scores...

--------------------

+Quote Post

Umbrae Calamitas
post Aug 22 2009, 01:02 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

Tuesday's Pack

Tuesday was extremely lucky, as the first contest that she had ever been to had two of her best friends entering, as well as a number of other talented contestants. She watched with excitement as contestants one through eleven did their appeals, some fairing extremely well and others... not so good.

She was excited, of course, when it was Jaima's turn, but she had been unprepared for what she would see.

Tuesday had never studied up on contests or on how to tell whether a move was cute, cool, tough, smart, or... there was another one, right? She had never bothered to take notice. The only thing that she knew at all during Jaima's appeal was that he and Shadow rocked together.

Watching them duke it out in the show area was enthralling and Tuesday couldn't help but grin. When their appeal was over and the stadium was filled with silence, Tuesday looked around in search of faces just as awed as hers. She couldn't read the emotions in most people's eyes, but she saw a few stunned looks, and then Meiko started clapping. Tuesday glanced quickly at the girl's face, seeing her cheeks tinged pink with a blush and a smile ripping the corners of her lips upward.

Tuesday grinned widely and applauded loudly for her friend.

Jaima's appeal being the coolest thing since books, Tuesday was utterly shocked and slightly disgusted to find out that he had done the wrong types of attacks for the category he had signed up in. Should it matter? It looked brilliant!

"Don't worry about it, Tuesy," Jaima assured her. "I tried it out and I learned something." He smiled. "And I'm pretty sure Shadow had fun with it."

Sitting on the other side of Jaima, Shadow was smirking. Tuesday, placated by his contentment with the way things happened, smiled. That crisis over, she remembered what she had been planning to ask Jaima, before he surprised her by coming up into the stands to sit with them.

"Hey, Jaima, do you think you could teach me to do that?" she asked a little nervously. She was so much of a bookworm that doing things outside of her mind was a rarity, but what she had seen Jaima doing with Shadow... it looked really cool and she wanted to learn it.

"Do what?" Jaima asked, looking at her in mild confusion.

"What you were doing in the arena with Shadow," Tuesday admitted. She shrugged. "You know, martial arts." She supposed she could have gotten into it sooner. After all, Anika knew two or three types of martial arts and Tuesday had often seen her practicing. She thought that she had probably avoided trying it because of that, though. She and her sister rarely saw eye to eye, so Tuesday just expected to want nothing to do with something like that.

Seeing Jaima so well-learned and sparring with Shadow, however, had opened her ever-keen desire to learn to the idea of martial arts.

Jaima rubbed his head, looking slightly sheepish. "Well, Tuesy," he admitted, "I don't think I'd be a very good teacher. I'm not sure I could show you what to do- OW!"

Tuesday blinked at Jaima turned to look at Shadow with an annoyed look on his face. "What was that for?" he asked.

"Lu," Shadow replied easily, eyes half-lidded lazily.

Jaima gave the lucario a look of confusion, before turning back to Tuesday. "Shadow's the one that actually taught me," he said, "and I'm not sure-" He half-glared behind him as the lucario nudged him hard with his arm. "I don't know if I-" Jaima grit his teeth. "Shad- All right!" He turned to half-glare at the lucario, amusement dancing in his eyes. "I get the picture." He looked back at Tuesday. "I don't think I could teach you all that well," he admitted, "but you're welcome to train with me and Shadow."

Tuesday grinned. "Really?"

"Yeah," Jaima said, his face softening at her look of excitement.

Behind him, Shadow looked rather smug. Zorro leaned back to look at the lucario, cocking his head to the side in curiosity. Shadow muttered something and Zorro let out a cry of joy, throwing his paws in the air and toppling off of the bleachers in his excitement. From down below them, he let out a whoop of delight.

Meiko was still blushing when she stammered to Jaima that she thought his appeal was amazing, and Tuesday, sitting nearby like a fly on the wall, had to clamp her hands over her mouth to keep from giggling loudly when she broke out in song in her head.

Jaima and Meiko sittin' in a tree! K-I-S-S-I-N-G!

Jaima, however, did see her with her hands clamped over her mouth, and asked, "What's so funny?"

Tuesday, grinning like the Persian that ate the Natu, declared in a "you know I'm not as innocent as I look" voice, "Nothing!"

Jaima cocked an eyebrow at her, but Tuesday just grinned. Her eyes happened to travel past Jaima, then, and she saw the newest contestant walk out into the arena. "Oh, look! A charmander! It's a charmander!" Hopping down into the seat in front of Jaima, she called Dante out of his pokeball and then the two of them leaned over the railing to watch the appeal be preformed.

The charmander's name was Firedash and he looked magnificient. His orange coat sparkled beneath the lights and the black kerchief with flame-pattern around his neck stood out against his leathery skin.

The charmander and his trainer stood in perfect stillness, back to back, as the audience grew silent. It seemed as the final person stopped muttering to his companion, the music started.

The music was made up mostly of drums - fast beats made by hand that ran in a tune Tuesday thought was distinctly familiar; woodsy... wild.

There was a moment's hesitation from the trainer and his pokemon, and then black smoke flooded from the charmander's mouth in a smokescreen attack, blackening the field in darkness. Tuesday waited with the rest of the audience to see what would happen next.

For a long time, there was nothing, and then the music sped up a notch, another drum added into the mix, and flames erupted out of the arena, spiralling out of the smoke and into the air above the arena, causing a number of people in the crowd to gasp in surprise and awe.

"That's a FireSpin attack!" Tuesday said excitedly. Dante didn't yet know the attack, but Tuesday loved fire type pokemon and had studied up on a number of the attacks that they could learn. Fire Spin was one of the more powerful attacks and, in her opinion, a very beautiful one.

The music changed again, the two beating drums joined by a flute, giving the music an eerie quality that had shivers running up Tuesday's spine, but she couldn't help but grin. Gasps suddenly filled the crowd, as something appeared within the smoke - a large flaming smile, like the faded recesses of the Cheshire Cat's grin.

"What is that?" Tuesday asked, looking at Dante as though he would have the answer. The charmeleon raised his claws and shrugged.

Jaima leaned over her shoulder, then, adjusting his glasses and peering into the smoke. "Looks like Fire Fang," he said informatively, "though I've never seen it used in the middle of a smokescreen attack before."

"It's creepy," Tuesday said, and grinned, "and awesome!" Jaima laughed at her.

"Meeeeeleon!" Dante snapped, turning Tuesday's attention back to the arena just as the charmander used a new attack. A glow emanated from within the smoke, and then the dark cover began disipating, revealing the charmander slowly, as the fire-lizard danced around within his own billowing flamethrower attack, slashing his glowing claws through the air and sending the smokescreen scurrying away like a frightened opponent.

The music, which had progressively been getting louder and faster, slowed to a steady, rhythmic drumbeat that matched the regular beating of one's heart. The charmander released an ember attack, spun in a circle, and slashed through the flames with his tail, spinning to a halt just as the music stopped abruptly.

Tuesday looked at Dante, as the charmeleon turned to look at her, and then the two leapt up, cheering. The idea of someday participating in a contest suddenly looked a whole lot more doable.

The next contestant was brought out - an older girl with a Croagunk - and Tuesday watched as the girl and her pokemon performed a complicated series of gymnastic moves. That was followed by a pair of twins, who performed a cute appeal with their twin pichu. Then that was followed by a young boy with his magikarp.

He surprised Tuesday, who had expected the fish to know only Splash, but using not only that attack, but also Flail and an attack Tuesday had never read about called Bounce. She hardly thought that boy had won, but it was interesting to witness.

Tuesday sat, enthralled by each contestant that... contested. Time seemed to fly by quickly, however, and then it was time for the final contestant's appeal.

Darryn's.

Now, Tuesday had watched every appeal, paid attention to every detail, and taken everything in with the hopes of perhaps using it somewhere, or recording it, at least. She had thought that many of the contestant's appeals were beautiful, Jaima's was awesome, the charmander's was brilliant, and that many others were worthy of television.

But Darryn's left them all behind.

"Since when was he going to sing?!" Meiko demanded, her eyes wide as saucers.

"Same time he put on those dancing shoes?" Tuesday offered, frowning lightly. Her father liked to sing. In fact, he sang all the time - in the car, in the shower, when he was battling, when he was bathing his pokemon. You'd think all of that practice would help, but... no. It didn't.

And Tuesday thought Darryn was awesome, but this might be taking it too far.

"Good questions, girls, but think about this... How does he fit all that in his bag?!"

"Good question," Tuesday quipped.

And then Darryn was singing, and India was dancing, and Tuesday's soul was nearly crying, because she had seen some beautiful things, but this beat it all. It just... made everything else pale in comparison.

The song was a brilliant choice that seemed to reflect Darryn from what little Tuesday knew of him, and she couldn't help but smile as she listened to him, the words dancing off of his tongue as fluidly as his butterfree glided through the air.

And then it was over, all too soon, and Tuesday actually had to wipe her eyes as Jaima took her other hand and helped pull her through the throngs of people so she didn't get separated and lost.

They saw Darryn backstage, sitting in a chair and either hyperventilating or trying to catch his breath. Tuesday, grinning, released Jaima's hands and bounded forward.

"Darryn!" she cried, and leapt up onto his lap, hugging him around the neck to everyone's complete surprise - even her own. "That was brilliant!" she cried. "It was so beautiful!"

"Er... thanks," Darryn said, sounding embarrassed.

Jaima stepped up behind Tuesday, arms crossed over his chest. "Darryn, I'd like to know what your intentions are toward my sister..."

Darryn looked up at him, wide-eyed and confused, then looked at Tuesday hugging him, and his bare chest. "I- but - I... NO!" he said, startled and flushing furiously.

Tuesday giggled and Jaima laughed with her at Darryn's plight.

Meiko walked over to him and punched him hard in the arm. "What were you so nervous for?" she demanded. "That was amazing!"

"Seconded!" Tuesday chirped, grinning. She climbed off of Darryn so he could button his shirt, blushing at all of the praise.

The sound of a microphone ringing called their attention and Tuesday heard Darryn take a deep, nervous breath.

"They're announcing the scores..."

--------------------
[align=center]

+Quote Post

Living Arrow
post Aug 23 2009, 02:53 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

“Wow! Those were some impressive displays of Pokemon and ther abilities! Let’s give it up for our competing Co-ordinators!!!” Gillian Meridian shrieked into the camera facing in her direction, spreading her arms wide to gather up the roar from the appreciating crowd. Backstage, Co-ordinators waited in thick suspense as the Judges all conspired their fates behind their enormous, sweeping desk.

“Well, I guess it’s time to pack up.” Darryn muttered, finishing buttoning up his shirt. The sweat that he had perspired ran like ice as he waited for those scores, knowing that only a select few would make the grade. According to Troy it was customary that a Co-ordinator score at least a 35 out of a possible 40 to earn a battle with the Hall Leader.

“Oh, quiet you.” Meiko rolled her eyes and prodded Darryn square in the chest. “You don’t know the outcome yet – just wait and see what happens before you start queening out all over the place!”

“Queen!? Me?!” Darryn shrieked, planting his hands on his hips. “Look, Meiko, I-”

“Guys? Seriously?” Jaima muttered, folding his arms with exasperation. Tuesday mimicked him pretty accurately, her short form a mirror image of her adoptive brother. Darryn sucked air between his teeth and pouted at Meiko while she stuck her tongue back at him.

“And the results are in!!!” Gillian announced within the auditorium, the crowd going wild with the upcoming results. The Judges sat straight-backed and ready to give their score to the camera that zoomed in on them.

The lens homed in on the tanned face of Mr Contesta, getting his placard in full view as they began to announce the possible winners.

“I must say it was a treat to see so many different styles of Appeal today. We have never had so much variety or professionalism in one stadium in one day and for that I am truly thankful! When it came down to the scoring, however, we found that only one Co-ordinator managed to score well enough to earn a Ribbon Battle today. Here are that Co-ordinator’s scores:

From myself, a solid 9!”

The audience whooped and cheered even as the camera came to Mr Sukizo.

“Tonight’s displays were truly remarkable! And for our winner, I give, 10 points!”

Nurse Joy’s turn…

“Although we had some excellent entries, we could not score some as well as others because they were performing outside of their selected category. Even so, we did find that this person was simply outstanding. And for that, I awarded 9 points!”

The crowd went wild once more, banners waving, sirens screaming. Darryn’s heart sank. There was no way he’d have scored as high as that – a girl with a Delcatty had performed so much better than they had.

“I guess it’s my turn now?” Troy flipped his hair at the camera and a whole bunch of girls behind him started screaming with rabid ferocity. “Then I’ll have to announce that this person only deserved 7 points. Far too much showboating and dazzle for a round that I prefer to be delicate and subtle.”

The crowd behind him turned their screams of attraction in boos of despair, mocking the man sat at the front of the arena. He turned around in his seat and smiled lusciously back at the wall of women and flashed his teeth, quelling them once more to silence.

“Oh, Troy! You’re so mean!” Gillian played along with the act, rubbing her head with thought. “Well, if you didn’t score this person as high as the others then I assume it was a close Contest?”

“Very close!” Troy confirmed, leaning forward in his chair. “And our finalist only just scraped through with a round 35. They should count themselves lucky. But, I have no regret in announcing that the Co-ordinator joining me on the stage for a battle for the Metalliclaw Ribbon is…”

A drum roll echoed through the arena, silence miraculously slamming down around the audience like a cage. Bated breath was held for seconds… minutes… hours… it seemed to go on to long. Then, just as the crowd became restless…

“Darryn Kellor!”

Darryn heard his name, turned his face to the ground and was promptly sick all over his (and Meiko’s) shoes.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Master Houndoom
post Aug 23 2009, 04:01 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Uprising Mod

Meiko had waited with baited breath, much like the rest of the crowd, much like her friends. much like Darryn himself. Unlike Darryn, she had expected him to win. But, then, she had expected his 'not-boyfriend' to give him a higher score.

She hadn't expected him to blow chow all over her feet!

"Kami-sama, DARRYN," she screeched, frozen in utter horror. Jaima leapt into action, grabbing a nearby towel used by performers to mob sweat from their head and handing it to Darryn while Meiko made her way out of the muck. She wrinkled her nose. "Are you OK?"

"Mmrph," he responded, rather eloquently, she thought, but she found herself backing away quickly.

Too quickly. She felt her foot give, and she toppled backwards, screaming the whole way down.

She felt like she wanted to cry. There was vomit on her back and legs, and she was afraid to reach back and feel if she got any in her hair. Jaima was standing over her, reaching down, but she made no move to take it.

"I don't want to get your hand dirty," she whimpered.

Jaima smiled a bit. "I've had worse on my hands, Mei-chan. C'mon, we'll get you cleaned up."

She took it, letting him lead her to the restrooms like a little girl. Half of her, oddly, was still worried about the person who'd gotten her into this (literal) mess. Was Darryn going to be OK for the next round? The other half resented the fact that she was covered in his breakfast.

He stopped in front of the nearest girl's room and smiled kindly at her. There she was, disheveled, covered is puke, and probably redfaced from fighting off her tears, and he was just looking at her as if he'd never seen a cuter girl. She tried to smile back, but had to dash into the bathroom. The smell was horrid!

Jaima leaned against the wall. He hadn't been sure, but some of the mess on the ground might have splashed on Tuesday's riolu. Meiko, however, had gotten the worst of it, so it was Meiko who he was taking care of.

He had no idea what to think of the girl, lately. He loved having her around again. In a way, it was like old times, like before he'd grown up. In other ways, it was nothing like it. It was better.

She was cute. No. She was cute. Her smile was cute. Her laugh was cute. The way she teased Darryn? CUTE! Why a cute girl like Meiko Omura wanted to have anything to do with him had been a constant source of puzzlement since she arrived. He still hadn't come up with an answer.

Someone cleared their throat, and Jaima looked up to see Joy looking at him, concern written all over her face. "Is... Is Miss Omura all right?"

Jaima smiled, a little embarrassed for his friend. "Yeah, she's... well, I don't know. She's getting cleaned up now. I think she's kind of upset..."

Joy nodded vigourously. "Yes, it stands to reason. When I saw you leading her away, and then someone told me a girl slipped in some... mess... I put two and two together. I've brought some shampoo... It's from the girl's dressing room, but it will do for now."

Jaima smiled again, genuinely. "Thanks." Then he had an idea. "Hey, could you give it to her? I'd go in there, but..." he smiled sheepishly. "I don't think she'd appreciate it much."

Joy hesitated, then bowed, once. "I will. Wait here."

Jaima pulled his shirt off, revealing the tank top he was wearing underneath the silk gi top. "Give her this, too. She doesn't have a change of clothes here, and I wanted to wait until she was feeling better to ask if she wanted me to send Mercury."

Joy was a little flushed when she took the shirt, and Jaima, too, flushed. He didn't usually take off his shirt in front of girls, let alone his ex-girlfriend.

Joy walked into the restroom to hear sobbing at one of the sinks. She stepped around the wall and saw Meiko leaning against the sink, crying softly. She almost stepped back, but her very instinct was to help people. "Um... Miss Omura?"

Meiko's eyes snapped up, and she stood straighter. "Great," she muttered, wiping her eyes with a paper towel.

"Jaima asked me to give you this..." Joy held up the bottle and bit her lip. "And this."

If Meiko was angry, it didn't get through her surprise. She blinked at the shirt, then blushed. "I see you got his shirt off..." She seemed ashamed to have said it, even though she still had a hardness in her eyes.

Joy actually smiled a bit. "I... There were times... when I wanted to." Meiko looked at her again through the mirror. "I mean, when we were in Lenoilia. Lenoilia's a lonely town, and he... helped. But he wouldn't, and I wasn't so... er... crass as to ask more than once." Joy sighed. "For you, to help you, it didn't take a second thought." She looked pointedly at Meiko, and Meiko looked away, sighing.

"Jaima told me what happened. Between you, I mean. I just... I'm sorry I said that."

Joy nodded. "I might have, too, if our situations were reversed." Joy held up the bottle. "May I help you with your hair?"

Meiko smiled a bit. "He got my hair, too, huh?"

"Just the end."

Meiko sighed and nodded, her eyes still rimmed in red. "I had to klutz out, right in front of Jaima. I think I splashed Tuesday's riolu, too..."

Joy chuckled. "Yes. But who did he take care of?" She helped Meiko wet her hair, pulling a chair over. The girl's shirt and skirt were hanging over a stall's wall, and Joy couldn't help notice that she was very fit. "He's like that. He takes care of people."

"Yeah," Meiko said, wistfully. "He skipped his trainer's journey when his father died to take care of his sisters."

Joy was silent, wetting Meiko's hair. "I didn't know that... it... it never really came up. So many people have extended their journies here since they opened the lands to it, I..."

Meiko's voice was echoing in the sink, but it sounded kindly. "He wouldn't talk about it. Sometimes I think he thinks it makes him weak."

"It doesn't."

"No. It makes him pretty strong."

Lather rose in the sink, in Meiko's hair, when Joy spoke next. "When I met him, he'd saved a mudkip from dying in the canal. Lenoilia is badly polluted. The poor thing was sick. And he was enraged to hear that I'd seen her before with another trainer. It was all very..." She was blushing. "It was attractive to a nurse."

"So... and I can't believe I'm asking, but... why did you let him go?"

Joy sighed. "He's an adventurer. He has to go places and help. And I prefer to stay and help where I am."

"Yeah, that would put a damper on things..." Meiko seemed to be cheering, but whether it was from getting clean of sick or that Joy was looking to be less of a threat, Joy couldn't tell. She didn't really care much.

"Good luck with him." Joy smiled, genuinely. "He's a good person. And I think, if you don't mind my saying so, you are, too."

Meiko flushed. "Thanks. Um... sorry for... yeah." She slipped the shirt on and hugged Joy. "Thanks. For helping me."

"You're welcome, Miss Om-"

"Call me Meiko."

Joy looked at her, smiled, and nodded. "You're welcome, Meiko."

Joy stepped out, and Meiko looked at her reflection in the mirror. Despite the mess, she was starting to get a warm feeling inside. She began gathering her clothes, wrapping them a bunch of paper towels until she could find a bag.

There was a commotion on the other side of the door. She heard Darryn's voice. "Ohmigawd, Jaima, I have to tell Meiko I'm sorry!"

"Darryn," Jaima said, exasperated, "you can't go in there, it's the ladies room!'

"YOU can't go in there, Jaima," Darryn declared haughtily. "I'm immune!"

Meiko laughed and stepped out as the door opened. "Apology accepted, Darryn. Are you OK?"

Darryn looked her up and down, then looked behind her and smirked. "You might want to see if he's OK."

Meko turned and looked, and had to grin. Jaima was practically staring at her, a blush creeping up his cheeks. She decided right then: This was her favorite shirt.

--------------------

||
PANE

||
Uprising

+Quote Post

Umbrae Calamitas
post Aug 24 2009, 02:51 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

Tuesday's Pack

Oh, poor Darryn.

That was Tuesday's first thought. She sympathized with anyone who was sick in public, as it was a horrifyingly embarrassing occurrence that she prayed never to suffer through again. Just witnessing it happening to someone else was bad enough.

Zorro, however, did not share her sympathies for Darryn.

"Riiioluuuuu..." Zorro moaned in agony, throwing his head back in exaggerated misery.

Tuesday looked at him in concern. "What?" she asked, looking him up and down in search of the fatal wound that must be causing him such pain. Zorro pointed to his left foot deftly with a paw and gazed plaintively at her, whimpering pathetically.

Tuesday closed her eyes and shook her head softly. "Zorro... it's not the end of the world."

"Riiiiiii!" he yelled loudly, throwing his paws toward the ground in a tantrum. Tuesday sighed. "Hush, Zorro. You're about as demanding as a princess." She heard him huff, as she knelt down and dug through her pack, searching for a clean towel that she always had with her.

Regrettably, finding anything within her notebook-strewn bag was a lesson in futility.

As Tuesday dug through her bag, Tempest sauntered merrily over to where Zorro was still throwing a fit, more to gain attention than because of any serious displeasure. Though, having upchuck on one's fur was hardly an experience one would care to repeat.

"I would tell you that you smell, mutt," Tempest said, circling around Zorro and watching him out of the corner of her eye, "but that's hardly anything new."

Zorro halted abruptly in his tantrum and gazed thoughtfully at the smirking pikachu. "Tell me, Rata," he said, a smile growing on his lips, "do you spend long time sniffing my fur?"

Tempest bared her teeth and hissed at him. "I stand corrected. You smell much better now than you did before." she snapped.

"Make improvement on you, Rata," Zorro said, grinning, and flicked his paw at her, flinging discarded puke her way. Tempest hissed loudly and leapt away. Zorro laughed. "Is improvement, Rata. You smell better."

"Shut UP!" Tempest snarled and leapt at him, knocking him to the ground with a tackle attack. The two rolled over the floor, sliding through the sludge on the ground and coating themselves further in vomit.

Tuesday looked up at the sounds of the two pokemon, Tempest crying out angrily and Zorro laughing. She gaped at the two of them, both creatures of speed, attacking and dodging each other equally; Tempest in rage and Zorro with amusement gleaming in his eyes.

"Tempest!" Tuesday cried. "Zorro! Stop!"

"I would prefer not to!" Tempest cried, despite Tuesday inability to understand her, and quick attacked Zorro.

He dodged nimbly to the side, cartwheeling out of the way and landing back on his feet, where he spun and grinned at her. "You cute when angry, Rata," he informed her kindly.

"I... I am NOT!" Tempest cried.

Zorro stopped, blinked at her, and then shrugged. "If you no think you cute, Rata... that your choice."

"I am going to kill you!" Tempest snarled, electricity curling around her body as she launched herself at Zorro in the prohibited volt tackle attack.

Unfortunately, and much to her ire, she never reached Zorro, as a red beam called her back into her pokeball and forbid her from touching the riolu.

Tuesday held the pokeball to her face, staring at it. "You," she spoke slowly to the pikachu inside, "are filthy. Expect a bath when Darryn's match is through."

Zorro, who was snickering, went quiet when Tuesday turned to him. "You threw a fit about a bit on your paw, and now you're filthy and happier than Ahab with a brand new boat." Zorro grinned at her and Tuesday sighed. "Come here."

It didn't take her long to wipe the filth off of his fur, but it was a tedious and disgusting job that she blamed entirely on Zorro, brushing off Darryn's apologies about being the cause of such a hassle, though he seemed far more concerned about what Meiko would think. Tuesday just smiled. The two of them did act like siblings.

"You still smell, Zorro, but I doubt I could keep you in your pokeball," she admitted. "Just don't go sitting on anyone with a weak stomach." Zorro grinned at her. Tuesday sighed and looked up at Meiko came out of the ladies' room and spoke to Darryn briefly.

"Attention!" a voice called over the intercom. "The final round of today's contest is about to begin. Would Darryn Kellor please report to the battle arena? I repeat, Darryn Kellor, to the battle arena, please."

"Time go get our seats," Meiko suggested, smiling. "And you need to go win your match, Darryn."

The boy swallowed nervously, but Tuesday touched his arm briefly. "You'll be brilliant, Darryn," she assured him. "Good luck!"

"Rio!" Zorro agreed. He winked and then bounded off after Tuesday.

Darryn separating from them, they were halfway to the bleachers when Tuesday realized that she didn't have her pack with her. "Fool of a-" She growled at herself. "Stupidity." She turned around.

"Where are you going, Tuesy?" Jaima asked.

"I left my pack by the bathrooms," Tuesday said.

Jaima smiled. "I'll get it," he suggested, knowing he was less likely to get pushed around in the crowd of people heading back toward the bleachers. "Why don't you and Meiko go and get some good seats?"

"You sure?" Tuesday asked. Jaima nodded. "Okay, then." With a final uncertain glance, Tuesday followed Meiko back to the bleachers, where they managed to grab some seats in the front, with a perfect view of the battlefield from the side.

Tuesday nearly toppled off of her seat in surprise when Zorro leapt out of nowhere to land on the railing in front of her, dressed in...

"Zorro... where did you get that cheerleading outfit?"

This... was going to be interesting.

This post has been edited by Umbrae Calamitas: Aug 24 2009, 02:55 AM

--------------------
[align=center]

+Quote Post

Living Arrow
post Aug 24 2009, 01:09 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

"Attention! The final round of today's contest is about to begin. Would Darryn Kellor please report to the battle arena? I repeat, Darryn Kellor, to the battle arena, please."

Bile, more puke, and a whole lot of Beautifly rose in Darryn’s throat. He fought that bubble of nausea with all he had to keep from exploding on little Tuesday’s face and tottered backwards towards the stage. Jaima pushed a towel at him to wipe his mouth.

"Time go get our seats!" Meiko announced, leading the way back to the audience stands. She grinned at Darryn and he knew it was genuine – her eyes were wrinkled and it didn’t begin to fade, even for a second. "And you need to go win your match, Darryn."

Darryn swallowed the nausea, hoping in vain that his nerves would go with it and braced himself to walk back to the stage.

"You'll be brilliant, Darryn," Tuesday piped from his side, laying her had briefly on his arm. "Good luck!"

Jaima grinned and gave Darryn a faithful nod, pushing his wire-framed spectacles up his nose. Darryn nodded back. It was finally time to start catching up to Jaima! True, it was on a different sort of battle field, but a Ribbon’s worth was exactly the same as a Badge in Furoh. One led to the Grand Festival, the other to the Champion’s League – both were recognised as the biggest Pokemon tournaments on the continent and both meant an achievement was at stake. An achievement that Darryn was going to strive for, no matter what!

~

“Aaaand, WELCOME BACK!” Gillian Meridian shrieked her greeting into the camera, the audience roaring back to life as the Ribbon Stage was raised in the center of the auditorium. It was prdominantly made of slate, some perfectly cuboid pillars of stone spaced randomly across the field. Awe hit the audience as it came fully into view, a grey palate upon which the Pokemon for the battle would paint their masterpieces during battle.

“Before the break we saw Darryn Kellor claw his way to victory in the Appeal Round with a score of 35, that’s right – 35!” The crowd let rip once more. “Now, let’s welcome him back along with our Arasam Hall Leader, TROY!”

Screams and shouts rumbled the entire Hall as Darryn walked up to the Challenger’s dais and stood straight-backed at the rail. Across the expanse of charcoal grey, Troy emerged, looking even more perfect than normal. He wore a style of battle costume that looked like motorcycle leathers or something that the PokeRangers would wear. It was predominantly black with red and white streaks on the chest and shoulders with gold stitching at every seam. His black hair was quaffed to perfection, those eyes a dazzling blue visible from the opposite side of the field.

“While our battlers prepare, let’s take a look at our studio audience! We’ve got a bunch of Contest fans here today, but have we ever seen this?!” Gillian waved her hand at the tv screen where the scoreboard would be shown. An image flashed up of a Riolu in a cheerleading outfit, sat on a little blonde girl’s lap, waving his pompoms around merrily. He caught sight of himself on the big screen and leapt to life, doing a little routine for the onlookers. A Vulpix sporting several bandages sat next to the girl bowed her head with embarrassment. The crowd immediately burst into laughter and Darryn had to snicker, waving at his friends from his platform.

“Welcome to my Hall, Challenger!” Troy called across the field, snatching Darryn’s attention and winking mischievously. “I would like to wish you luck for the battle.”

Darryn’s gutsy nature took over, seeing Troy act so cocky like that, and he stepped to the rail, leaned on it with one elbow and blew him a kiss.

“Right back at ya, sweetheart!”

“Ooooh! This looks like we could have a great battle on our hands, folks!” Gillian wailed at the top of her lungs, moving to the side of the arena so the cameras could move in closer to examine the Co-ordinator and Leader as they readied themselves. “With our scoreboard up and our three Judges ready, let battle commence!”

“With pleasure!” Troy twirled his arms and Pokeballs appeared in his fists. “Mawwie and The Don, time to face the music!”

An explosion of confetti and smoke seals flooded the spot where they fell and, as they fell, the forms of a Mawile and Donphan could be seen underneath. As the glitz and sparkle of the seals fell further, the crowd could see that not all the shine was thanks to the seals. A Pokemon had emerged with particularly rare colouring that almost made it appear shiny.

“And will you look at that! Troy has selected The Don for this battle!” Gillian announced, getting up close to a camera. “This Donphan is also known as the Golden Fist of the Arasam Hall. We haven’t seen his use for some time now as Troy saves him for particularly talented Co-ordinators so this must really say something about our latest challenger!”

Darryn grit his teeth.

*Oh my God, that Donphan looks powerful. And it’s a ground type… Romeo and Zulu aren’t able to take on ground types with any sort of confidence so I’ll have to rely on their ability to work together to win this one… That said, a Contest battle was unlike a Gym battle – points matter in the time limit just as much as knock-outs do…*

“Now it’s time for Romeo and Zulu! The stage is yours!”

Letter seals that spelled out the names of the ball capsule’s residents, jumped out into the air as the Pokemon were released, Romeo stepping out of a flash of lightning seals and Zulu rising from the fiery passion of flame seals. They squared off against their opponents quickly, making Darryn breathe a little easier.

*These two are strong battlers… I just hope they can hold out long enough!*

“And with 5 minutes on our clock, may the Ribbon Battle begin!!!” Gillian wailed and the crowd roared right along with her.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Master Houndoom
post Aug 25 2009, 12:05 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

Uprising Mod

Jaima backtracked, mentally wincing as the announcer began her spiel. He was going to miss the first part of the match if he didn't hurry.

There was the hallway he had led Meiko down, already mopped to remove the trail her shoes left. Likely the bathroom was as well, but he wouldn't have to worry about that. As he expected, Tuesday's bag was right where she left it when she'd followed Darryn when he came to apologize to Meiko.

He bent to pick up the bag, when a voice behind him growled out, "You!"

Jaima straightened and spun. Before him stood a man wearing predominately red and black. His hair hung limp, as if it had lost all life. Jaima recognized him as the trainer of the charmander who had enthralled Tuesday with his appeal. Jaima smiled. "Hey, my sister really liked your appeal."

"'My sister really liked your appeal'," the man said in a nasally, mocking voice. "I had this contest bagged before you and your little friend showed up!"

Jaima raised a brow. "What are you talking about."

"You. And your stupid advanced lucario and that little show that you put on! And your friend, with his stupid singing and his stupid open shirt!" He seemed to be working himself up into a frenzy. Jaima scowled a bit.

"Look, pal, why don't you calm down a bit and tell me what this is all about-"

The man released his charmander, who mimicked his stance: Aggressive, one foot forward, back arched.

"Once you're out of the picture, I can start getting my fans back. Starting with the hottie in the silk shirt!"

Jaima was prepared to push past this person and get back to his seat, but something in his condescending attitude, or perhaps something else, caused him to get very, coldly angry.

The man saw Jaima's glasses flash in the overhead light as he pulled a blue and white pokeball from his belt. With the press of a button, a blue domed kirlia appeared.

"Mercury? Sic 'im."

When he got back to his seat, Meiko gave him a funny look. "What happened to you? You missed Darryn's introduction! It was so good!"

Jaima looked at her, then smiled softly. "I got held up." He reached out and took her hand, watching the fight. Meiko stared and smiled, biting her lower lip.

"Oh," she said, leaning toward him, whispering in his ear. "Remind me to tell Darryn, but we have to do something after this... maybe before we leave... Tuesday's birthday is soon..!"

--------------------

||
PANE

||
Uprising

+Quote Post

Umbrae Calamitas
post Aug 25 2009, 12:52 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

Tuesday's Pack

Tuesday was so excited to see Darryn's match against Troy that she couldn't hardly sit still! She was practically bouncing in the seat, grinning. She had called out Dante and Tempest, as well, so that they could watch the match. The pikachu was currently sitting on her head, with Dante sitting on the bench next to her, his tail drooping downward so as not to burn anyone. He looked equally enthused, no doubt still remembering the appeal of the charmander that he and Tuesday had watched with such awe.

Lady, Darryn's vulpix, was bandaged up and sitting next to Tuesday on the bench, looking slightly put-out about not battling, but watching her trainer intently. Zorro was sitting in Tuesday's lap, eagerly awaiting the match to start. His strange cheerleader uniform, a duo of colors that should never be paired with the blue and black of a riolu's fur, came complete with a pair of pompoms that the riolu was waving around with a big grin on his face.

“While our battlers prepare," the announcer spoke through the microphone, voice echoing throughout the building, "let’s take a look at our studio audience! We’ve got a bunch of Contest fans here today, but have we ever seen this?!”

The woman waved her hand at a large television screen, the blank scoreboard being replaced by a very familiar image.

Tuesday saw an image of herself shown largely on the television screen, though the attention was obviously focused on Zorro. The riolu in the television screen glanced up just as Zorro did and saw himself. Immediately, Zorro's eyes lit up and he leapt from Tuesday's lap to land gracefully on the empty bench in front of her. He then began to leap and twist and dance around, waving his pompoms wildly.

Zorro in his Cheerleading Outfit (click to show)

Tuesday blushed crimson but was grinning as the crowd burst into laughter, Lady bowing her head in embarrassment at being associated with such a foolish pokemon. On top of Tuesday'd head, Tempest rolled her eyes in exasperation, but didn't do anything to stop the riolu's antics.

Tuesay saw Darryn waving and waved back with violent excitement, her shy nature fading in the rush of new information and awesome experiences. She blinked in surprise when Dante sauntered over and set her bag down beside her, and she turned slightly to see that Jaima was finally back.

And holding hands with Meiko.

Tuesday turned back around quickly, facing the arena, as she grinned widely and tried to hide a giggle. She thought Meiko might do something rash, like tickle her, if Tuesday started singing "Jaima and Meiko, sitting in a tree! K-I-S-S-I-N-G!" Though Tuesday was hard-pressed not to.

She didn't have to spend much more time restraining herself, however, as the introductions of both coordinators and pokemon began, and the match commenced!

This post has been edited by Umbrae Calamitas: Aug 25 2009, 12:53 AM

--------------------
[align=center]

+Quote Post

Living Arrow
post Aug 26 2009, 12:34 PM
Post #16

Group Icon

When all four Pokemon came onto the battlefield, Darryn’s attention was completely taken away from the glitz and glare of his surroundings. The audience faded into a dull hum, their cries and cheers now a mere drone against the barrier that he had unknowingly placed around himself when the battle had started. The rapture of battle had claimed him and only one thing rested in his mind.

*Win win win win win!!!*

“I’ll let you take the first move, Dazzler.” Troy held his arms out in offering. “The first move could make or break you in a battle like this.”

Darryn snorted. “Or, it’ll just break you! Romeo use Swift attack on both your opponents! Zulu, follow it in with a Headbutt for the Donphan!”

A brilliant flash of yellow across the dark field announced Darryn’s Jolteon sprinting to the center of the arena at top speed, springing high to touch the top of one of the slate columns before spinning straight upwards like a golden corkscrew, firing star-shaped rays in swirling arcs towards his foes.

“Mawwie, swing your jaws in a big circle! Don, go into Rollout!” Troy commanded confidently, his Pokemon rushing into action.

Darryn inwardly grinned. Whatever Troy had planned, it wouldn’t work. Zulu was on his way in and…

“ZULU! MOVE IT!” Darryn yelled at the Cranidos down on the field who was looking around in wonderment at his surroundings. He had never seen so many lights and or people in one place and, naturally, it was confusing the poor fossil Pokemon. Darryn cursed.

“Doh?” Zulu dumbly looked around, completely perplexed as to where he was, despite being informed less than half an hour before...

Across the field, Mawwie swung her jaws into a wide lasso-type movement over her head, capturing the Swift stars in a mini cyclone that made them spin and spiral around her head like a little Halo. The light from the stars illuminated her body, showing off the gleam of her coat and the lustre of the skin on her jaws.

“Now, Bite them!” Troy called, his Mawile opening her jaws to catch all of the stars and chomp down on them hard. They shattered instantly, pouring between her teeth like glorious golden dust. A harsh “ddddrrrriiing!” announced the lost of points from Darryn’s side of the scoreboard.

Meanwhile, The Don had thrown himself into a full-bodied Rollout that wove its course around the slate pillars of the Hall’s field, a trail of golden Swift rays hurtling along in his wake. The stars slowly closed in as the Donphan raced around the arena, sharply turning a corner around a pillar at the last moment. The Swift rays, unable to change direction so quickly, moved in a large arc in the attempt to turn and ended up pelting into Zulu’s chin where he cried sorrowfully with the multiple unexpected impacts. Unhindered, The Don surged at the center of the field, smashing upwards through a slate pillar and hitting home on its target – Romeo.

“Damn it!” Darryn swore, gripping to the rail and watching his Contest points click away on the digital display.

“I hope that isn’t the best you’ve got, sweet cheeks.” Troy teased from his podium, taking the time to straighten his fringe and buff his nails.

“If you think that’s all I’ve got, then you’re wrong!” Darryn came back with the half-assed retort. After such a spectacular counterattack, he was losing confidence by the millisecond. Zulu, still wailing, was finally beginning to move around the field (albeit slowly) in search of his opponents. Romeo, already recovered from his injury, was atop another slate pillar, his eyes focused on the Mawile and Donphan over the tops of the other stone columns.

“Don, back in with the Rollout! Mawwie, let’s blast them with a Flash Cannon!” Troy ordered his next move while Darryn tried to come up with a plan.

“Maa!” Mawwie swung her jaws around her body, holding them as a human would a shotgun and prized the teeth apart to fire off a dazzling silver bolt of concentrated energy directly at Zulu who was gaped at it with awe. The Don, also focusing on the immobile Cranidos, came hurtling around the arena, directly for Darryn’s Pokemon.

“Zulu, just stand there and use Focus Energy! Romeo, get in close and use Protect!”

True to his speedy nature, Romeo bolted across the stone pillars in rapid bounds that were difficult for any spectator to see – a ball of lightning that disappeared and reappeared seemingly at will – and landed at Zulu’s feet. An emerald green bubble immediately sprang up around them just as the attacks came flying in. The Flash Cannon struck the shield hard, pausing only briefly before it was deflected right into the path of the incoming Donphan. Although The Don was not directly hit, the steel attack did manage to blast the ground out from under him, catapulting him high into the air above Darryn’s Pokemon. Points ticked away on Troy’s side…

“Craniii!” Blue energies coursed up through Zulu’s body to collate in his cranium where he stood proud, grinning that he had managed to execute the attack. Unfortunately for him, a Donphan was falling towards him. “Crani?”

“Teon!” Romeo shot away from the impact zone using his Quick Attack but Zulu wasn’t quick enough. The full 270 lbs of Donphan crashed down into him, sending up a cloud of debris that obscured them from view.

“Zulu!” Darryn cried desperately, hanging over the rail to try and see what had happened.

“Keep you eye on the game!” Troy laughed even as Mawwie came flying in from above, her jaws primed to Bite Romeo. The Jolteon’s ears twitched at the sound of his attacking fooe and his feeet acted accordingly. The massive pair of jaws swung on a tight arc but were expertly dodged time and again as the Mawile poured on the offensive, swinging and thrusting with her gaping maw and needle teeth.

“Keep dodging, Romeo!” Darryn urged his Pokemon but could see what the steel type was doing – she was backing Romeo up towards a slate pillar that would block any chance of dodging. The Jolteon ducked, slid and leapt over each attack with timed ease but, sure enough, his hind quarters hit cold stone. With a frightened “Jol!?” a huge pair of jaws descended upon him…

“Jol!”
”Maa!”

Darryn squeezed his eyes shut.

“CRANI!” A glowing white arm punched Mawwie straight in the face, her body flung away like a ragdoll before her jaws could come within two inches of Romeo’s neck. Her tan and grey body hurtled through the air before crashing through a slate pillar with a scream. More points counted down for Troy and the Leader grimaced in response.

“And would you look at that! It seems Darryn’s Cranidos was able to dodge The Don before it hit and so could find the timing to attack Mawwie and defend his team mate! Excellent teamwork from the Kellor side of the field! Now, let’s see how Troy responds!”

Darryn gulped and chanced a look at the clock. Three minutes remained.

*Come on, guys! We can do this!*

--------------------

+Quote Post

Umbrae Calamitas
post Aug 27 2009, 02:58 PM
Post #17

Group Icon

Tuesday's Pack

"Sí! Go Zulu! Is your birthday! Fiesta like is your birthday!"

Zorro stood on the edge of the audience area, altering his cheering style. They were all watching Darryn and Troy's contest battle closely, and Zulu had just managed to dodge The Don's airbourne attack, and arrived in time to keep the mawile off of Romeo.

Zorro had been paying attention to the ripples around Tuesday, like hermano mayor told him to, and so he noticed his hermana's worry when Zulu simply stood there, looking around dumbly.

But not his hermana was grinning, and all was well.

Of course, part of her grinning (and the entire reason for her befuddled expression) might have been due to his new "cheering" style.

Dante, who had stopped watching the battle entirely to stare at Zorro in bewilderment, had long-since facepalmed at his antics.

Zorro didn't remember where he had first seen the style, but he remembered that he had never once lost love of it. Locking wasn't his forte, but when it came to Popping, he had more fun than a persian with a pidgey by the tail.

Tempest was still glaring at him, of course; angry at him for throwing his pompoms at her face. He thought he was pretty talented, to tell the truth. After all, how many cheerleaders did you know who could jump in the air and pull off their skirt before they hit ground again? Granted, as a riolu he had an advantage; he was so inexplicably awesome that gravity itself bowed before the brilliance of his being.

Popping was a lot more fun with music, of course, and that was one disadvantage, but he wasn't deterred. He moved his body quickly, relaxing his body and then tightening his muscles abruptly, quite possibly looking like he was having an entertaining seizure, but he thought it was amusing. It would be a lot more fun with music, true, but Zorro was content for the moment with just his ball cap. Yet another accessory that he could see his hermana was wondering the origin of.

"Eh! Rata, dance con me, sí?" He flashed Tempest what he thought must have been a tantalizing grin, as he popped his way over to her. He could see the vein showing in her head as she stood with her arms crossed, glaring, looking for all the world like she wished there weren't any witnesses about. Truthfully, he should have expected it, but he was basing his observations on the idea that he was irresistible, and so it came as a shock when Tempest kicked him soundly in the rear, knocking him off of the stands.

He looked up to see Tuesday leaning over the bar, looking at him in concern. He was aware, of course, of having some people paying attention to him, so he quickly rose to his feet and did and did a series of quick dance moves, popping like a funkstar.

He heard the click of an activated pokeball and sighed. "Another one bites the dust," he said, just before the red beam hit him and he was recalled soundly.

Standing on the railing of the audience seating, Tempest glared at the pokeball containing Zorro and growled softly. He was so... so... annoying!

"Stupid mutt," she growled.

There was the click and flash of a pokeball, and Zorro appeared beside her. "Tell me, Rata," he said, flashing her a grin. "You miss me, sí?"

"Gah!" Tempest slammed her tail down on his head as hard as she could and stalked off.

Zorro swept a paw across the top of his head suavely, before pulling his pirate hat out of who-knows-where and plopping it on his cranium. He grinned at the world at large, stretched, and nodded. "Sí. She like me."

Zorro in his pirate hat (click to show)

This post has been edited by Umbrae Calamitas: Aug 27 2009, 03:02 PM

--------------------
[align=center]

+Quote Post

Living Arrow
post Aug 27 2009, 03:42 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

“Don, use Earth Power! Help Mawwie Out!” Troy cried, his Donphan letting out a long wail as it threw its strength into the ground, erupting a slate column from its place rooted in the stage towards the flying Mawile. She got the movement and adjusted herself in the air, her feet connecting with the floating stone.

“Wha?” Darryn gasped, watching with awe as Mawwie used the flying slate platform as a springboard to jump right back at Romeo and Zulu.

“Flash Cannon!”

Mawwie swung her jaws to the forefront and gripped them like a true cannon in her small hands as they opened wide and spat a crackling silver beam of energy.

“Charge Beam!”

Romeo leapt to meet her, screaming his electrical attack back at his opponent with a thunderous furore. The thinner, yellow laser cut up through the fat beam emitted by the Mawile’s jaws, dispersing the shine into dazzling sub-rays that sparkled around Romeo’s spiked body like a mantle of glittering stars.

DRRRRRING! Points shot down on Troy’s side of the board, clearing Darryn’s opponent past the halfway mark. Darryn grinned and snatched a glance at his own side. A considerable amount of points was between them now – it was coming to the wire. Darryn was moments from winning and all it would take was a couple more effective combinations.

“Don’t get comfortable, Dazza!” Troy called from the other side of the field – a manic grin had spread on his face. “Points aren’t the only way to win this battle and you would do well to remember that I have these!” Darryn’s eyes widened as Troy unzipped the front of his leathers and pulled them apart to show off what was inside. Yes, the immaculate torso and gleaming sweat that ran around his cherryesque nipples and down his washboard abs was indeed impressive, but that wasn’t what Troy wanted Darryn to see. Not one. Not two. Not eight. Not sixteen. But twenty badges glittered along the inside of the Leader’s vestment.

“Four leagues and Leadership of the Arasam Gym for one year. I can battle in more than one style and that gives me every advantage! Don! Earth Power on the Cranidos!”

*More than one style?!... That means… He doesn’t care about the points anymore! He’s going for the knock-out!!!*

“Zulu! Hammer Arm on the Mawile!” Darryn cried in defence.

The Cranidos took off at a sprint, lowering his head into the charge as he bolstered one arm up with energy to deliver the crushing blow that would end the steel type’s movements. His focused was so driven that he didn’t realise the ground cracking along his path before it exploded upwards in a shower of razor-edged rain that climbed from the earth.

“CRANIII!” The fossil Pokemon wailed as it was hurled from its feet to crash harmlessly to the floor, next to the Mawile’s feet.

“Zulu! Get out of there!” Darryn hollered in vain as the Mawile turned its organic cannon on the rock type at her feet. “Romeo! Stop her!” Darryn’s Jolteon leapt into a flat-out sprint, a white trail blazing behind him as he Quick Attacked across the stadium. Those jaws opened wide and a silvery blast erupted forth.

EH-AAAAAH! The knock-out tone played harshly as large crosses appeared on the screens in front of each of the Judges.

“Cranidos is unable to battle!” Gillian announced, the crowd roaring with support for Troy.

“Zulu, return!” Darryn held up the Luxury Ball and quickly shoved it to his belt, trying to keep absolutely focused on Romeo and the rest of the match. “Romeo! Keep away from the Donphan, use Double Team!”

“Don! Rollout! Mawwie use Flash Cannon!”

“Joltee!” Romeo burst in all different directions at once, a spinning and shining Donphan rolling right through one of the copies was now standing. Blasts of silvery energy failed to hit their target as more and more copies of Romeo filled the arena, some leaping atop the slate spires to form a loose circle around Mawwie.

“Get them all!” Troy commanded, not waiting to form a proper combination.

“Romeo, time for Lightning Grove!” Darryn announced. His Jolteon leapt into action immediately, eight copies springing from lofty pillars of stone to scatter in the air around the Mawile on the ground. All eight opened their mouths and a stabbing needle of electricity shot down - a forest of Charge Beam slamming home into their target.

“MAAAA!” Mawwie’s scream split the air as she shook violently with the impact, forced to her knees and finally she fell completely.

“Mawwie, return! Don, use Earth Power on the Jolteon!”

“Romeo, no!” Darryn cried but it was too late. His Pokemon had focused so much on one target and used such an energy-demanding move that he was left completely open to any counter attack – including a super effective, powerful hit.

The Don screamed his attack, an eruption of the stage plummeling his target from below, making the Jolteon flip backwards through the air before landing harshly on his back. Spittle flew up from Romeo’s mouth as he struck terra firma, the wind knocking right out of him.

“Romeo, you’ve got to get up! We just need one more combo!” Darryn pleaded his partner, glancing again at the scoreboard to see Troy’s points wwwere holding on by a sliver while a third of Darryn’s remained intact.

“Finish it, now Don! Rollout!” Troy’s Donphan lauched itself back into a shiny spinning ball and rocketed across the arena, pieces of rubble from the battle flung out of the way as he roared towards the finishing blow.

“ROMEO!”

The Jolteon’s ears pricked up as the Donphan came surging in metre by metre until he was right on top of the fallen canine. Romeo’s eyes flashed once and a green bubble swelled from his chest, creating the Protect barrier just in time. The Don struck the shield with full power but was forced to rebound, giving Romeo time to try and stand…

“And that’s it, folks! Our Contest Battle is over!”

Darryn gasped with shock, searching around for what had brought Gillian to such a conclusion. Both Romeo and The Don were standing… Both Troy and Darryn had points left on the score board… The time was up! That was it?! Darryn won by a technical default?!

“I did it!!!” Darryn punched the air, spinning on the spot and letting out a ‘whoop!’ of triumph. Romeo was suddenly right there with him, prancing and dancing around his trainer’s feet, his tongue lolling out happily and his fur falling flat as the latent static electricity in him from the battle faded.

The stadium around them exploded with screams and applause but all Darryn could hear was the blood in his temples thumping its own beat of victory that he drank in greedily. He had done it. He had finally made his first achievement since becoming a Pokemon Trainer. He had done it all on his own and it felt so good.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Umbrae Calamitas
post Aug 27 2009, 08:43 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

Tuesday's Pack

"YAY!"

Tuesday was pretty sure that none of her companions, save Tempest and Dante, had ever heard her be so loud, but she was very excited. She had completely forgotten about the time limit in the midst of all the action, and having the battle abruptly ended had befuddled her. After all, Romeo's using Protect just in time was awesome, but the battle was just beginning!

But there were only five minutes on the clock, and those five minutes were up. The battle seemed to have been much shorter, in the same time that it seemed a great deal more time should have passed. A lot had occurred during the battle. Zorro still seemed slightly downtrodden about Zulu's getting knocked out. Tempest looked rather smug, however. Tuesday wondered if the two had some sort of bet going about who would remain standing at the end of it. To be entirely truthful, Tuesday hadn't known what to expect. She had never seen Zulu battle before, as she had been busy delegating the electric pokemon during the battle on Mount Carello. From what she had seen, the cranidos was very strong. Unfortunately, he didn't seem to be the brightest crayon in the box.

Tuesday stood up when Meiko smiled at her as she walked passed. Jaima stopped beside Tuesday and smiled at her. "We're going to go congratulate Darryn before the ribbon ceremony," he explained. "I think we might be able to stand backstage and watch while they present Darryn with his prize."

"Great!" Tuesday chirped. She stood up, recalling Dante and the still-dancing Zorro into their pokeballs. Tempest, pleased at this development, leapt onto her shoulder, and Tuesday followed Jaima and Meiko out of the audience seating area.

Darryn had a huge grin on his face when they met up with him and was practically glowing in triumph. Tuesday grinned up at him, offering her congratulations in a "I knew you could do it! You were awesome!", complete with a happy little skip. She then ducked down to pet Romeo, as Jaima and Meiko offered their own congratulations.

They didn't have a lot of time to spend with Darryn, however, as only moments later, he was called back out. Jaima, Meiko, and Tuesday stood backstage, watching him through a window as he walked up to where Troy was standing in the center of the arena.

"Darryn Kellor," Troy began, his voice amplified by the microphone clipped to his ear, "it is with great pleasure that I present you this contest ribbon, for winning today's pokemon contest." He flashed a sultry grin. "And looking fine while you did it."

Tuesday snickered quietly, earning her glances from both Meiko and Jaima, while Tempest just crossed her arms and rolled her eyes.

Meiko giggled suddenly, catching onto the same thought process as Tuesday, only she was the one who mentioned it to Jaima. "How badly do you think Darryn is blushing right now?"

Darryn accepted his ribbon from Troy, and he was indeed blushing at the comment. The audience cheered loudly, and Jaima, Meiko, and Tuesday also applauded loudly, Darryn grinned as he walked back toward them with his ribbon.

"Hey, guys," he said, when they'd quieted down with some laughter, "I'm going to stay and talk to Troy for a bit. You can go on ahead to the pokemon center and I'll catch up."

"Yeah," Meiko said, winking, "let's leave Darryn some time with his boyfriend."

"He's not my boyfriend!" Darryn said, but Meiko just laughed as she headed off. Tuesday grinned at Darryn and waved, before trotting after Jaima, following Meiko.

They made their way out of the pokemon centre, avoiding the crowd of exiting people only because they hadn't been on the stands after the ribbon ceremony. Tuesday had just remembered that Brone said there was a gift for her at the pokemon centre, when they were stopped by a police officer.

"Officer Jenny?" Meiko asked, as she stood the closest. "Can we help you with something?"

The officer narrowed her eyes. "Mister Kuonji?" she demanded.

Jaima stepped forward, surprised. "Yes, that's me."

"I have words for you, Mister Kuonji," Officer Jenny said in an aggravated tone, "and I didn't say them before because it wasn't the proper time or place, but your actions were ludicrous and something needs to be done." She pulled a pair of handcuffs off of her belt. "So I'm taking you in for questioning."

"Excuse me, what?!" Meiko demanded loudly, taking an aggressive step forward.

Jaima, however, remained calm. "On what charges, Officer?" he asked.

"Deception and neglect of a pokemon medical official," Officer Jenny prattled off as though she had recited it with an equally pissed off attitude.

"Can I get that in English, please?" Jaima asked calmly.

"You screwed around with my friend!" Jenny snapped angrily.

"He didn't screw around with anyone!" Meiko snarled.

"Are you kidding me?!" Jaima asked, ignoring the implications in favor of their ludicrousity. "You can't take me in for that!"

"The hell I can't!" she declared. "Jenny stopped me before, but now she's on leave. So I'm taking you in!"

"No one is touching Trainer Jaima!"

Tuesday twitched at the voice. It had been some time since she she'd heard Mercury speak, and the sound of the kirlia's defiant voice echoing in her mind was both welcoming and a surprise.

Tuesday watched as Shadow and Mercury both moved around Jaima and then swung in front of him, separating she, Meiko, and Jaima from Officer Jenny.

Shadow made a sound of agreement, and the two of them glared in defiance at the officer. Sitting on Tuesday's shoulder now, Tempest's cheeks sparked dangerously.

"Oh, come on, JenJen, must you?"

Tuesday looked to her right in surprise and caught sight of a boy standing there. He was taller than her (but who wasn't), but looked to be of a close age. He had fire-red hair that lay flopped upon his head like a slumbering flareon. He was gazing at Jenny with his hands on his hips and a smirk on his face.

Jenny bristled like a persian facing a poochyena with a spray bottle. "It's Officer Jenny, you little-"

"Oh, you've made Officer, then? I thought you were still a patrolgirl."

""Shut. Up."

He raised a hand and waggled a finger at her. "Tsk tsk, JenJen. Where's your professional conduct?"

Jenny balled her hands into fists and glared at him. "Reilly Coons! You pathetic, simpering little-"

She was interrupted by the boy's - his name was Reilly? - laughter. He shook his head, hair flopping every which-way. "So now we're using our rank for personal uses? You better be careful or someone will complain to your supervisor."

"I'm taking him in," Jenny growled, hands balled into fists at her sides. It was kind of funny, how someone at least four years younger than her could make her act so childish. Of course, she was acting immature to begin with...

Reilly walked over to the three of them, ignoring the protesting Jenny. "I may have to apologize for her, seeing as she's incapable of doing it herself."

"I have nothing to apologize for!"

"I'm Reilly Coons," he introduced himself, holding out a hand for Jaima, and then Meiko, to shake. Tuesday reached out to shake his hand, as well, but he ruffled her hair instead. "Heya, squirt."

Tuesday's eyes narrowed slightly and she resisted the urge to stomp her foot. "Squirt?!" she demanded, pushing his hand away. "I'm twelve!"

He stepped back and looked at her critically. "You don't look twelve," he said, and then smirked. "Maybe six."

Jaima glanced over at Meiko and raised an eyebrow, but the two of them remained silent to see how things would play out. Tuesday certainly wasn't being as silent lately as when they had both first met her.

Tempest let out a low, angry "chuuuuuu..." at this, electricity sparking at her cheeks as her fur stood on end.

Reilly smirked doubly. "Cute rat. What'd you do - feed her rawst berries to get her face to look like that?"

Tuesday hands balled into fists at that and she stepped forward angrily. "There is nothing wrong with Tempest!" she said loudly. "You take that back!"

He laughed. "Not if I mean it," he said, grinning. "She looks like she's got a temper on her. I wonder if it'd be any use to her."

"She can fight, if that's what you mean," Tuesday said, her anger fading slightly at the thought of a battle. She was still pondering over the idea of whether forcing pokemon to battle was barbaric or not, but from the way Tempest was shaking on her shoulder, it seemed like the pikachu was more than willing for a fight. And Tuesday wanted to prove to this boy that Tempest was not a weakling, and nor was she.

"Is that a challenge?" she asked, in what she hoped was a confident tone.

Reilly smirked. "Is that an acceptance?"

Tuesday chewed her lip for a moment, and then nodded. "Yeah," she said, "it is."

He grinned. "Good then, some entertainment. So when I win, I want a picture of that pikachu. I'll send it off to a friend of mine, so she can see why you should never feed a pokemon rawst berries."

Tuesday clenched her fists at the insult to one of her best friends. "And when I win, I want you to apologize."

"Apologize?" He laughed. "For speaking the truth?"

Tuesday drew a deep breath. "Sometimes silence is better," she said softly.

Behind her, she heard Jaima say quietly, "In this case, I think Silence is always better."

Tuesday grinned, catching the hidden meaning in that statement. It gave her the confidence to begin the battle, and the knowledge to know that Jaima would stand with her as she battled.

"Four pokemon, then?" she asked, turning her eyes to Tempest.

"Four sounds good," Reilly commented, fingering his pokeballs. "I suggest two at a time. You won't be much of an opponent, but we can try to stretch this out a bit."

"PIKA!" Tempest snarled, bristling.

"Start planning that apology, Reilly," Tuesday suggesting, glaring in annoyance, "you have a lot to cover."

He chuckled. "We'll see." He tossed his pokeballs in the air. "Let's go!"

--------------------
[align=center]

+Quote Post

Master Houndoom
post Aug 28 2009, 01:43 PM
Post #20

Group Icon

Uprising Mod

Jaima began reflecting on his time in Arasam. It was full of ups and downs. He had been questioned for a long time by the police (That was a down). But they had made it to their deatination (That was an up (one must take ups where they can be found)). He'd had to speak with Joy (That was a down). But she was very nice about it (That was an up). He was still worried about this odd Team Deception (This would be a Down). But Grondir had evolved (That was an up)! Tuesday and Mercury had both been out of sorts (Down). He managed to win the Emberwing badge (Up)! Tuesday had run off (Down). But he'd gotten to finally talk to her about why she was upset (Up). Meiko was mad at him for a while (Down). She wasn't anymore (So. Very. Up.). Darryn had puked on Meiko's shoes. And she had fallen in it (If it had been anyone else, hilarious. But it was her. Down). He had still managed to win the Metalliclaw Ribbon (Up!)

*Crk-crk-crk-crk-clack!*

Well... that was a down.

Mercury's eyes flashed, and Shadow spun, but Jaima shook his head. Both glared at the Jenny behind him, who seemed smug. "You're coming with me."

"I'd like to watch the match," Jaima said calmly.

Jenny sneered. "I'd like for my friend not to have been hurt. Life sucks."

Meiko stomped over to them, speaking in low tones so as not to call attention from Tuesday's first match. "You are being rediculous," she hissed at Jenny. Jenny glared at her.

"If you'd like to come in, I can think up something for you. Obstruction of justice, perhaps!"

"That only works," snarled Meiko, "if Justice is being served! How about assaulting an officer?!"

Jaima sighed. "Meiko, please don't get yourself into trouble over me."

Meiko seemingly ignored him. "Did Joy put you up to this?!"

Jenny snorted a laugh. "Joy is too nice for her own good. She wasn't even upset at the last guy who did this!"

Jaima stiffened slightly, and Meiko's eyes narrowed. WIthout a word to Jaima, because it would have alerted Jenny, she spun and dashed back toward the building. Hopefully, Joy was still there. Hopefully Jenny was telling the truth, and Joy wasn't a part of this. Hopefully, Jaima could stall long enough for the two of them to get back...

As Meiko left, Jenny pulled against Jaima's arm. She was surprised when, instead of moving, he stayed still and she was neraly yanked off her feet. She scowled at the blonde boy.

"You're resisting arrest."

Jaima didn't look at her. "I told you, I'd like to see this match."

"And I told you you're coming with me!"

Again, Jaima didn't look at her, but seemed half smiling. "Maybe you should call for backup. I'm sure they'd understand, Patrolgirl..."

Jenny snarled, fists clenching and unclenching. "Fine," she said, finally. "Afterwards, I'm taking you in!"

"Joy!"

The nurse turned, surprised to see Meiko running up to her. The redhaired girl stopped next to her, panting slightly, and Joy gave her a moment to catch her breath. She was only slightly surprised to see that Meiko was stll wearing Jaima's shirt.

"Joy, there's an officer Jenny trying to arrest Jaima." Joy's face paled, and she squinted, her face wrinkling. "A young one. She's giving him a fake charge..."

Joy sighed. "I'm sorry, Meiko, I didn't ask her to do this. I was upset after I came to Arasam."

Meiko nodded, but her voice was filled with urgency. "I believe you. Please, help me fix this..?"

Joy looked at her, then nodded, walking back the way the other girl had come. "Of course. If she'll listen. Jenny is... head strong."

"So am I," Meiko said, dangerously. Or it would have been, if she'd managed to catch her breath.

--------------------

||
PANE

||
Uprising

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:41 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.