Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
36 Pages V  « < 33 34 35 36 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Evolution or God?, Something every Forum should have...
The Unholy Diver
post May 6 2012, 01:20 AM
Post #681

The asteriotypical one
Group Icon

Group: Members
From: The wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell
Member No.: 161 989

Z's Team (so far)

QUOTE(Shoutai @ Jun 15 2008, 08:03 PM) *
weeeeee.. I was looking for a topic to start a thread... =D

Now, Evolution Theory or God?
wich do u believe in?

I wanna See some opinions before I post mine,so I can see the level of the discussion... =]

LETS START DEBATING!!!

I personally believe in both. i believe in god and evolution was just the method of creation he used

--------------------
Thanks to the mobile site, I'm back on gpx!

I CAN CLICK BACK NOW

credit (click to show)
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Disgracik
post Jun 10 2012, 11:49 AM
Post #682

Life is the childhood of our immortality.
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 94 296

Fav legends

I don't believe neither, but, if i have to make choice it'll be evolution, maybe 'cause I don't believe in God.....

--------------------
[align=center]

[/align]
[spoiler=Stuff] [align=center] [/spoiler][/align]
+Quote Post

GraphicCamel
post Jun 10 2012, 11:59 AM
Post #683

Electric Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 100 553

Gijinka Academy

Evolution.

--------------------
Aliases (click to show)

Roleplaying (click to show)

Current Obsessions (click to show)

Updated 6/26/12
+Quote Post

Kineb
post Jun 11 2012, 11:47 AM
Post #684

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 152 804

Active Squad

Evolution AND God.

--------------------

(Avatar by Golurk)
+Quote Post

FirePower
post Jun 11 2012, 08:12 PM
Post #685

Feel the burn!
Group Icon

Member No.: 63 077

My Dream Team

I believe in God, and that he (She?) made each and every creature without evolution. Don't get me wrong, I realize evolution exists, but I don't believe in it to the extent that, say, Darwin did.

First off, in order for evolution to have made any distinct seprate species we'd need the world to be millions and maybe even billions of years old, right? Well (excuse me if I'm stating the obvious), the sun's powered by Thermonuclear Fusions, tiny explosions in the sun's core. There's an on-topic point to this, honest. The Thermonuclear Fusions cause the sun to become slightly bigger and brighter each year. I'm not sure if it's really signifigant short-term (and I doubt it is), but rewind a few million years, and the sun would be too cold to support life.

Second off, many other ideas for the begining of life or the universe are based off the idea that everything occured as a result of random chance, if I anin't mistaken. Honestly there pretymuch a zillion-to-one chance of the big bang ever happening. It nearly, if not completley impossible for something alive to come from something that's nonliving. It's not exactly like we can poof a germ from a rock or anything. On top of that, you've got the insanely strict conditions that are required to support life and the fact that even the "simplest" living organisms are much more complicated than our best supercomputers. To me, it doesn't make sense that life could have started without the help of an omnipotent, benevolent creator. Some skeptics will probably argue that whenever's there's a chance, however small, there is a possibility of it happening, but to the odds are - without divine intervention - too staggering for me to believe.

--------------------
I am a Christian. Jesus Christ loves me, and he loves you too. With a "never stopping, never giving up, unbreaking, always and forever love" (Jesus Storybook Bible).

Click the trainer card to get to my PANE current levels post!

My Stories (click to show)

Avitar Credits (click to show)

Previously known as Hurple and Drakonawin
+Quote Post

LM4
post Jun 11 2012, 09:39 PM
Post #686

Dr.C in L vs. D
Group Icon

Member No.: 104 549

My FireRed Team

I believe in evolution but i don't necessarily think that a higher being helping humans is impossible. In response to the last post: the sun does expand and get hotter but at a rate like .000001 (one-millionth) degrees hotter a year. The atmosphere has also been adapting over time and life has learned to live with conditions like that. Basically what controls the earth's livable climate is tilt, time of year, and rotations. Small factors that have let life live and thrive on earth. The creation of life though started 4 billion years ago when gasses reacting with water created the first amino acids and created the first algae. The algae began to change over the next .5 to 1 billion years and created the first animals. Further evolution from there brought us to where we are today. Even if the chance of life is one billion to one, theres billions of galaxies, trillions of other stars and perhaps trillions of planets. There could very well be many more planets with life out there.

--------------------
RP's
(Kinda out dated VERY outdated, but keeping for nostalgia.)

Invaders as Dr.C
Light vs. Dark as Dr.C
Clash of Legends Part 1 as Shade the haunter.gif
UPL team: grovyle.gif kirlia.gif beautifly.gif
L vs. D team: slowbro.gif blissey.gif gengar.gif blaziken.gif charizard.gif deoxys.gif

Explosions (click to show)
+Quote Post

Dmitri
post Jun 11 2012, 09:43 PM
Post #687

Lecherous Demon
Group Icon

Member No.: 155 791

Team Scourge

QUOTE(FirePower @ Jun 11 2012, 08:12 PM) *
First off, in order for evolution to have made any distinct seprate species we'd need the world to be millions and maybe even billions of years old, right?

The world /is/ billions of years old. Your arguement is dead from right there.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Sharkosaurus
post Jun 11 2012, 10:23 PM
Post #688

Gentleman Bastard
Group Icon

Member No.: 93 071

smogon ban genies pls

QUOTE(Hexxy @ Jun 11 2012, 09:43 PM) *
First off, in order for evolution to have made any distinct seprate species we'd need the world to be millions and maybe even billions of years old, right?

Call me impaired but... How in a tiger's abdomen do they know that?

--------------------
ayy
+Quote Post

Dmitri
post Jun 11 2012, 10:32 PM
Post #689

Lecherous Demon
Group Icon

Team Scourge

QUOTE(Wings of Sorrow @ Jun 11 2012, 10:23 PM) *

Call me impaired but... How in a tiger's abdomen do they know that?

Fossils? Rock formations?

--------------------
+Quote Post

LM4
post Jun 11 2012, 11:29 PM
Post #690

Dr.C in L vs. D
Group Icon

Member No.: 104 549

My FireRed Team

Also carbon dating can tell the age of things.

--------------------
RP's
(Kinda out dated VERY outdated, but keeping for nostalgia.)

Invaders as Dr.C
Light vs. Dark as Dr.C
Clash of Legends Part 1 as Shade the haunter.gif
UPL team: grovyle.gif kirlia.gif beautifly.gif
L vs. D team: slowbro.gif blissey.gif gengar.gif blaziken.gif charizard.gif deoxys.gif

Explosions (click to show)
+Quote Post

Dmitri
post Jun 12 2012, 12:09 AM
Post #691

Lecherous Demon
Group Icon

Team Scourge

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-age-of-earth.html

"The oldest rocks which have been found so far (on the Earth) date to about 3.8 to 3.9 billion years ago (by several radiometric dating methods)."

and there we go.

This post has been edited by Hexxy: Jun 12 2012, 12:14 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

strictlyninja
post Jun 19 2012, 02:17 PM
Post #692

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 99 806

Party

God. Absolutely.

--------------------

Click us! (click to show)
+Quote Post

Reyo
post Jun 21 2012, 01:08 AM
Post #693

I'm in space...space...spacespace
Group Icon

Member No.: 30 281

space team

I believe in God, and that he (She?) made each and every creature without evolution. Don't get me wrong, I realize evolution exists, but I don't believe in it to the extent that, say, Darwin did.

First off, in order for evolution to have made any distinct seprate species we'd need the world to be millions and maybe even billions of years old, right? Well (excuse me if I'm stating the obvious), the sun's powered by Thermonuclear Fusions, tiny explosions in the sun's core. There's an on-topic point to this, honest. The Thermonuclear Fusions cause the sun to become slightly bigger and brighter each year. I'm not sure if it's really signifigant short-term (and I doubt it is), but rewind a few million years, and the sun would be too cold to support life.

Pretty much this.

There's also the bit where "the sun would have gotten too bog by now!" It's already been established that the sun will eventually engulf the world/solar system...eventually...but that's eventually in a universal time span. We're too eager to imagine shit happening within our timespan of 100 years, but on a grand scale shit takes its time to happen, the sun engulfing the planet included. We're still good on our "billions and billions of years" sun warranty. And if you go back on that warranty when we first signed our lease on the thing, we've barely had the thing long enough to finally get the theif proof plastic coating off. The Universe is old as shit. Something like a few million years is a few minutes spent on the internet compared to everything else.

Second off, many other ideas for the begining of life or the universe are based off the idea that everything occured as a result of random chance, if I anin't mistaken. Honestly there pretymuch a zillion-to-one chance of the big bang ever happening. It nearly, if not completley impossible for something alive to come from something that's nonliving. It's not exactly like we can poof a germ from a rock or anything. On top of that, you've got the insanely strict conditions that are required to support life and the fact that even the "simplest" living organisms are much more complicated than our best supercomputers. To me, it doesn't make sense that life could have started without the help of an omnipotent, benevolent creator. Some skeptics will probably argue that whenever's there's a chance, however small, there is a possibility of it happening, but to the odds are - without divine intervention - too staggering for me to believe.

We do know how the beginning of human life happened. Engineers came down, built our civilization, we discovered them, then the entire "Alien" movie sequence happened.

In all seriousness, yes it's a million to one shot that we exist...but we still exist...you say we can't possibly exist? Well shit, I better enjoy my coffee before the universe realizes it's mistake and fixes it. Then again given the perception of time it's working on I think we'll be just fine. As for the low chance of our existence, if you take any one "thing", be it a coin toss, or dice roll, and give it an infinite amount of events, you'll be able to predict that any one event will happen with 100% certainty. That's not a saying on changing the chances of the outcome of a coin toss from 50% to 100%, that's a saying on the nature of the word "infinite". Given an infinite amount of time and an infinite amount of "stuff", shit's going to happen, like the formation of a universe with life and computers and me typing this message. As for divine intervention? Well, I actually half agree with you. It's rather silly in my opinion to think that "shit just happened" is a valid reason as to why "shit just happened". This "shit" that's "happening" seems a little too intentional for it to have "just happened". As for it "having" to happen with divine intervention, well how do we know that it's not possible without it?

--------------------
space...spacespace...wanna go to space...I'm in space...are we in space...I wanna into space, are you space? Uh oh, space police, stay cool. Space..space..space space..ba ba, ba, ba, bababa, ba, ba space. Dad, are you space? Yes, now we can be a family again. Space space...need...space...need a rocket...wanna buy a rocket? It's for space...need one...buy one from space store...space store...space...space...space supplies...space ship...space rocket...rocket..space...soup...space soup...from space cafe...space waiter there's a space fly in my space soup...spacespace....must...

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-
+Quote Post

Tyranisaur
post Jun 23 2012, 04:27 PM
Post #694

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 47 812

Totally...useless

I absolutely do not believe in a god, because there is no need for one to explain evolution or the creation of the universe.

--------------------

All my stuff is viewable by everyone on my public page.
Make trinket offers faster

The Discord chat is a nice way to hang out with other users.
+Quote Post

Reyo
post Jun 24 2012, 12:10 AM
Post #695

Group Icon

space team

QUOTE(Tyranisaur @ Jun 23 2012, 04:27 PM) *
I absolutely do not believe in a god, because there is no need for one to explain evolution or the creation of the universe.

Don't take this as inherent disagreement with your opinion, but that's a rather unscientific point of view to hold, no?

This post has been edited by Reyo: Jun 24 2012, 12:11 AM

--------------------
space...spacespace...wanna go to space...I'm in space...are we in space...I wanna into space, are you space? Uh oh, space police, stay cool. Space..space..space space..ba ba, ba, ba, bababa, ba, ba space. Dad, are you space? Yes, now we can be a family again. Space space...need...space...need a rocket...wanna buy a rocket? It's for space...need one...buy one from space store...space store...space...space...space supplies...space ship...space rocket...rocket..space...soup...space soup...from space cafe...space waiter there's a space fly in my space soup...spacespace....must...

+Quote Post

Tyranisaur
post Jun 24 2012, 07:24 AM
Post #696

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 47 812

Totally...useless

QUOTE(Reyo @ Jun 24 2012, 07:10 AM) *

Don't take this as inherent disagreement with your opinion, but that's a rather unscientific point of view to hold, no?

Unscientific? I don't really know if you are thinking about the evolution- or big bang-part. But as far as I can tell, physicists can explain the start of the big bang with quantum mechanics and the theory of relativity. As far as evolution goes, the odds of the circumstances for life to start might be extremely rare, and we might not be exacty sure about how it happened.But I'm still convinced that it happened, and that it has happened different places in the universe.

Anyway, if there are things we don't know know yet, my opinion is that we don't need to have an explantion for that based on a god.

--------------------

All my stuff is viewable by everyone on my public page.
Make trinket offers faster

The Discord chat is a nice way to hang out with other users.
+Quote Post

Lady Silvera
post Jun 24 2012, 09:09 AM
Post #697

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 166 272

Active Squad

The whole idea that if we wait long enough we'll randomly change into something else doesn't really fly with me. I believe evolution is real, but not like that. I think it comes from changes to one's environment, and some molecular ability to alter ourselves to become better adapted to our new surroundings. 'Course, that takes millions of years. So I won't be evolving wings anytime soon. Dang.

I am a Christian, and I do believe in God, however.
+Quote Post

Reyo
post Jun 24 2012, 05:35 PM
Post #698

Group Icon

space team

QUOTE(Tyranisaur @ Jun 24 2012, 07:24 AM) *
QUOTE(Reyo @ Jun 24 2012, 07:10 AM) *

Unscientific? I don't really know if you are thinking about the evolution- or big bang-part. But as far as I can tell, physicists can explain the start of the big bang with quantum mechanics and the theory of relativity. As far as evolution goes, the odds of the circumstances for life to start might be extremely rare, and we might not be exacty sure about how it happened.But I'm still convinced that it happened, and that it has happened different places in the universe.

Anyway, if there are things we don't know know yet, my opinion is that we don't need to have an explantion for that based on a god.

Based on a God? Yes, that I'm inclined to agree with, but what I got from "because there is no need for one to explain evolution or the creation of the universe" was that you felt there's no need for an explanation for evolution and the creation of the universe in general. If that's not the case then I retract my comment.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Dupe
post Dec 27 2012, 11:02 PM
Post #699

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 161 221

Active Squad

Personally, I believe that God created the Earth, the Heavens, and everything, and then life slowly evolved to the point it's at right now.
+Quote Post

SoSweet
post Dec 29 2012, 05:32 PM
Post #700

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 26 468

Active Squad

Evolution Theory, I love your signature btw. blargagh.gif

--------------------
Warm my eggs please? I'll warm your's!

+Quote Post

36 Pages V  « < 33 34 35 36 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:57 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.