Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Names You're Surprised Were Allowed/Not Allowed
A Wild Kitty App...
post Feb 25 2014, 04:05 AM
Post #61

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 215 680

Active Squad

QUOTE(Darkrow @ Feb 23 2014, 04:55 PM) *
I believe the problem wasn't 'rat' but 'rata', which is 'Pussy' in Portuguese. And not referring to cats, obviously. According to Bulbapedia, at least, since Rata was censored in Gen V as well.

Oh. That probably does explain it. If I tried to transfer one from an earlier generation before that was censored, would it not work? Because I'm sorry, but I don't like having to use a workaround for this. Maybe "rata" is a swear word in Portuguese, but "Rataxes" isn't a swear word in any language.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

A Wild Kitty App...
post Feb 25 2014, 04:05 AM
Post #62

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 215 680

Active Squad

I believe the problem wasn't 'rat' but 'rata', which is 'Pussy' in Portuguese. And not referring to cats, obviously. According to Bulbapedia, at least, since Rata was censored in Gen V as well.

Oh. That probably does explain it. If I tried to transfer one from an earlier generation before that was censored, would it not work? Because I'm sorry, but I don't like having to use a workaround for this. Maybe "rata" is a swear word in Portuguese, but "Rataxes" isn't a swear word in any language.
+Quote Post

The Majestic Mr ...
post Feb 25 2014, 11:13 PM
Post #63

The Green Thunder, Kell of L's, Keeper of Stars
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 212 177

Exuberant

As me and my friends are kinda goofy when it comes to nicknames sometimes, I was surprised that "pingas" wasn't allowed. I know that it means something inappropriate for little kids, but it's hilarious, especially when "f***" is allowed if you add an extra "u"

--------------------

Light is a spectrum. Why limit yourself to a single hue?

Nintendo 3DS FC: 1950-9577-7656
Switch FC: Mr. L: 5429-0347-5697

PM me if you want to add me. happy.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. L banner made by Luigi Mario
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I'M REALLY FEELING IT!
+Quote Post

Darkrow
post Feb 26 2014, 05:04 AM
Post #64

Some frickin' video game nerd.
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 16 016

Unbreakable Team

QUOTE(A Wild Kitty Appeared @ Feb 25 2014, 04:05 AM) *

Thing is, anything that contains the swear word in its entirety (not too sure if, say, Ra Taxes would e censored) will be censored, probably to prevent people working around it by sticking another word right next to it to go past the censors. It's not too smart since, like Mr. L said, you can name something Fuuck without it being censored. :/

Hell, I'm pretty sure anything with 'con' is censored because it's an insult in French. It's kind of dumb.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Manah
post Mar 8 2014, 06:35 PM
Post #65

Made of random and Joltik love / Totally not a fangirl
Group Icon

Member No.: 6 080

Diamond Party

QUOTE(Darkrow @ Feb 20 2014, 03:44 AM) *
QUOTE(Manah @ Jan 24 2014, 06:25 PM) *
Word filters are stupid to begin with, but when you can't name your pokemon something that's an actual character name in the game, it's just plain absurd. (I was going to name my Bulbasaur Viola, doesn't work.)

That would be because Viola has the word 'Viol', which is 'Rape' in French.

I know, but it is bullshit.

--------------------
Pokémon Moon FC: 0877-0881-6378 (Trainer name: June)

~
Buttons made by Arceus Awakened
+Quote Post

Amaranthine
post Mar 13 2014, 04:32 PM
Post #66

This is why we can't have nice things.
Group Icon

Member No.: 6 852

Active Squad

I tried to name a Pokemon "Alohomora," and was offended when I realised why it wouldn't let me.

--------------------
They/Them/Their

My Pokémons, let me show you them.

+Quote Post

WatariStealsRevo...
post Mar 14 2014, 02:35 PM
Post #67

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 95 424

The A Team

I'm not a huge fan of the whole filter thing. :P I read somewhere someone wasn't allowed to name their Pokemon "Basement" because it has "semen" in it (like anybody would have noticed that if they hadn't pointed it out). I forget what it was, but at some point I was trying to name one of mine something completely innocent, and I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't let me.

I was messing around last week and couldn't think of anything to name my Psyduck, so I just typed in "kappacrappa" and somehow it went through lol.

They shouldn't censor everything that as a dirty word in the middle of it, only if it's something blatantly inappropriate.

Hm... I wonder if it would remove my HG Hoppip's name if I transferred him (I named him "Dat Grass" for lack of a better name)...?

--------------------

Follow Comet to my party!
+Quote Post

Lunastone
post Apr 1 2014, 05:56 PM
Post #68

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 183 204

Active Squad

For some reason i couldnt use the name Spike....I mean I kinda get it but still -_-2.gif GAME FREAAAAK! shakefist.gif
+Quote Post

WatariStealsRevo...
post Apr 3 2014, 01:40 PM
Post #69

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 95 424

The A Team

The other day I caught my first Spinda and the game let me name it Hella Turnt lol

--------------------

Follow Comet to my party!
+Quote Post

Kaname Date
post Apr 5 2014, 08:12 AM
Post #70

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 186 218

Active Squad

My virginity.

Help.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Mars Adept Enten
post May 11 2014, 05:36 PM
Post #71

Certified Psychotic Isaac Fangirl and Legendary Dogs Enthusiast
Group Icon

Member No.: 18 522

GS Crew

In regards to "Alohomora" not being allowed as a nickname, I believe it has something to do with the 'ho' string. Which is a slang for someone who Really Gets Around. So that was probably disallowed because of the sexual implications.

EDIT: As a bit of a possible cause for some of these words' censorings, I give you these:
Scunthorpe Problem
The Problem with Pen Island

EDIT 2: It's not really a nickname, but a player name, but I had a player with the name "Dr. Big Wang" or something like that pass by in Pokémon-Amie mode, and that made me go, "Uhhh... Is that even allowed? blink.gif" I'm honestly surprised how that got past, considering that 'wang' is a slang term for... a certain part of male anatomy. Yes, I do know it's a name used in at least Chinese and some other Sinosphere languages, but seeing as this was in Latin/Romaji, I doubt that the 'Sinotic surname' definition is what the player was going for there.

EDIT 3: I just caught a Nosepass and tried to name it after the Sextans constellation (Sextans is the Sextant, FYI. That was kind of a navigational aid used mostly by sailors, from what I remember) but it was disallowed, presumably because of the 'sex' string. I understand GF and Nintendo's concern and their desire to keep Pokémon somewhat family-friendly, but still. Censoring 'sex' is kinda dumb, considering kids will eventually hear about it eventually from someone, be that their parents or a teacher or whatever. I didn't try it but I wonder if it would've gone through if I called it 'Cextans' or 'Snatxes'.

This post has been edited by Mars Adept Enten: Jun 21 2014, 09:32 PM

--------------------
I'm also known as Queen_Lugia on SPPf, and Queen-Articuno on dA, as well as a former aspiring trinketer on GPX+, a proud TheRunawayGuys fangirl, a proud participant of Extra Life, and proud supporter of TwitchPlaysPokemon.

I claimed Isaac from Golden Sun. Hands off mah bishie! tongue.gif And Capt. Linebeck, too!

Follow Isaac-kun to get to my party. I appreciate and try to return clickbacks! happy.gif

Thanks, xJesstheMess!

My shop! I appreciate requests! cat.gif

Entei stuff! (click to show)

Other stuff... (click to show)

Credit to: (click to show)
+Quote Post

airConditioner
post Jul 29 2014, 03:29 PM
Post #72

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 198 831

My non-Gen6 team

My friend has a Burmy named "d!kworm" although it's not censored.

--------------------

Made by the talented cyndaquiltrainer!

wat
+Quote Post

Snowsky
post Aug 4 2014, 11:02 AM
Post #73

Malachite pride~
Group Icon

Member No.: 88 905

Team Nando!

I wasn't allowed to name my Azumarill "DragonKilla", but I was allowed to use "DragonSlaya".

--------------------

i dream in verdant and emerald

+Quote Post

GlitchedBat
post Aug 18 2014, 09:26 AM
Post #74

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 105 485

Some of my Faves

My friend's sister gave me a drought ninetales to use for breeding, her name is "Little Ho"

This post has been edited by Glitch The Noivern: Aug 18 2014, 09:26 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

RyGuy611
post Aug 26 2014, 07:09 AM
Post #75

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 85 509

Los Pokemon 1337

Couldn't name my Snover "Basil Pine". rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Anybody out there familiar with True Capitalist Radio?
+Quote Post

Mars Adept Enten
post Aug 26 2014, 10:34 AM
Post #76

Group Icon

GS Crew

^That's probably due to the 'pine' string. Because in Gen V, Pineco had issues with being traded on GTS because of the same string. Not really sure why it's censored, because the only definition of 'pine' I know of that isn't tree-related is 'to love someone'. Unless it has a slang definition I'm not aware of...

--------------------
I'm also known as Queen_Lugia on SPPf, and Queen-Articuno on dA, as well as a former aspiring trinketer on GPX+, a proud TheRunawayGuys fangirl, a proud participant of Extra Life, and proud supporter of TwitchPlaysPokemon.

I claimed Isaac from Golden Sun. Hands off mah bishie! tongue.gif And Capt. Linebeck, too!

Follow Isaac-kun to get to my party. I appreciate and try to return clickbacks! happy.gif

Thanks, xJesstheMess!

+Quote Post

ShrapnelStars
post Oct 9 2014, 07:26 PM
Post #77

Well, I wish I'd wished you well
Group Icon

Member No.: 4 143

Let Us In

I bred a new Talonflame as a team dad, and the name "Elie Hell" was allowed. (The name is from the original Alone In The Dark games, in case you might be curious.)

Yeah, no Killer Tree, but Elie Hell can come right on in.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Mars Adept Enten
post Dec 2 2014, 11:54 PM
Post #78

Group Icon

GS Crew

I recently caught a Bronzor in Alpha Sapphire and named it 'JigokuNoSuzu' and it got accepted. Which baffles me, considering it translates to 'Bell of Hell' in Japanese. I actually haven't run into any censored names in AS/OR. Even a Skarmory that I had caught as a Hidden Pokémon didn't get its name censored. Said name? Assurmory. I was certain that the 'Ass' string would be unacceptable to the censors, but apparently not. sealed.gif

--------------------

Thanks, xJesstheMess!

+Quote Post

Nemu
post Dec 3 2014, 01:48 AM
Post #79

Craziest cat lady of all time.
Group Icon

Member No.: 162 933

I wish

You can't even name the pokemon their own names though sometimes with is stupid...Seriously. I know people who refused to nickname their pokemon with the old ones and now you have to. The flipping pokemon name is still there, if it trips your sensor you need to either re-think the filter or the names.

--------------------
Stuffs. cat.gif (click to show)
+Quote Post

Mars Adept Enten
post Jan 12 2015, 01:58 PM
Post #80

Group Icon

GS Crew

A while back, I caught a Sandile while trying to complete the DexNav for Route 111, and wanted to name it 'Sobek' or something along those lines, but as you can probably guess by my posting this, it wasn't allowed. Presumably, it was because of the 'sob' string. I had to resort to Nilotica instead. irritated.gif Way to ruin my theme naming for Sandiles, Nintendo and GF!

(The theme naming for Sandiles that I follow is to name them after the god Sobek from Egyptian mythology. I don't remember his domain right now, though. But it fits because he's generally represented with a crocodile head.)

--------------------

Thanks, xJesstheMess!

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:06 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.