Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Namco Bandai Developing Next Smash Bros.
Me Gusta
post Jun 22 2012, 07:18 PM
Post #1

Hockey Brawl!
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 152 455

Me Swamsta

QUOTE(kotaku)
So there's a new Super Smash Bros. game in development, and Namco Bandai is the game's lead developer. But, what does that mean? Listen to what Smash Bros. creator Masahiro Sakurai said about the upcoming game:

"Currently, the prototype prepared by Namco Bandai Games and Namco Bandai Studios' special team looks pretty good, and it's working great. In order to take advantage of the fact that there will be versions for two different systems, and to maximize and offer fun new gameplay elements, the entire team is going to work hard together."

So, from the sound of it, Namco Bandai isn't only doing the heavy lifting, it's doing all the lifting. Sakurai, of course, is helming the project, but make no mistake, Namco Bandai is developing it.

Namco's Masaya Kobayashi chimed in on who from Namco is working on the title:

"In order to make Mr. Sakurai proud, we will take on this project with Namco Bandai's best staff! Yoshito Higuchi, the producer and the director of the Tales series, Tetsuya Akatsuka, producer and director of Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs., the art director/sound director of the SoulCalibur series, the main development team staff from the Tekken series…and that's just for starters. All the top creators from Namco Bandai are gathered here to create a never-before-seen dream team for this project. We will fully utilize our experience and knowledge in action/fighting game development, technical capability, and organizational strength, and we hereby promise you that we will develop the best and most powerful Super Smash Bros. title ever! Don't miss it!"

Last year at the E3 gaming expo, Nintendo revealed that the new Smash Bros. was headed to the Wii U and the 3DS.

At that point, work had not apparently started on either title. "Honestly, at this point, we shouldn't be announcing these games to the general public, but since we need to assemble developers for the games, we made them public," then said Sakurai.

Nintendo owns the majority stake in Sakurai's studio, Sora. The studio has even been working on a new game that isn't a Smash Bros. title, but back in 2009, the studio's site said, "It's a secret! It's totally a secret!!" That game was probably Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Sora seems to be a smallish studio, so making two Smash Bros. (one for 3DS, one for Wii U) might be beyond its manpower. Namco has extensive experience making fighting games, so it can pool its developers to hit the ground running and churn out Smash Bros. titles in (hopefully) a timely fashion. Now, whether that means Namco should be making the new Smash Bros., that's another matter...

http://kotaku.com/5920428/just-how-much-of...-lot-apparently

--------------------
Click Them
CLICK ALL THE EGGS
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Dazmi
post Jun 23 2012, 01:42 AM
Post #2

Veteran
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 2 482

Active Squad

It's clear that there's a lot of passion going into this project (or about to, rather). Doesn't sound demoralizing at all.

This post has been edited by Dazmi: Jun 23 2012, 05:12 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Me Gusta
post Jun 23 2012, 04:23 PM
Post #3

Hockey Brawl!
Group Icon

Me Swamsta

hopefully namco will make the gameplay better and remove the stupid fucking tripping and all the handicap shit as well.

--------------------
Click Them
CLICK ALL THE EGGS
+Quote Post

Yamper
post Jun 23 2012, 04:36 PM
Post #4

Axew and Volcarona enthusiast
Group Icon

Member No.: 61 211

Invisible Kyurem

QUOTE(Me Gusta @ Jun 23 2012, 10:23 PM) *
hopefully namco will make the gameplay better and remove the stupid fucking tripping and all the handicap shit as well.

Agreed. Why the hell is tripping even a good idea. It's just plain fucking annoying. But all the same this development sounds pretty good so far.

--------------------

Don't forget to love yourself.
Add me for daily clicks: 873/1000

[align=center]---

Community Thread Shiny List!

---[/align]
[align=right]Breeding Incentives: Mission Cards
[/align]
+Quote Post

Nightdude
post Jun 23 2012, 09:25 PM
Post #5

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 58 315

Pkm Gold Team

I think this sounds like good news. Especially for the competitive scenes. And maybe, just maybe we get some Namco Bandai Newcomer as well... Goku, anyone?

--------------------

[Random House Quote]
"Ladies and Gentlemen! I have nothing in my hands, nothing up my sleeve. I do have something in my pants but that's not going to help with this particular trick..."

+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Jun 23 2012, 10:03 PM
Post #6

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

i think they still need the music developed in-house, namco-bandai music is the worst

--------------------
+Quote Post

Me Gusta
post Jun 24 2012, 12:14 AM
Post #7

Hockey Brawl!
Group Icon

Me Swamsta

QUOTE(No Leaf Clover @ Jun 23 2012, 07:25 PM) *
I think this sounds like good news. Especially for the competitive scenes. And maybe, just maybe we get some Namco Bandai Newcomer as well... Goku, anyone?

no not goku, but perhaps someone from the tekken series like jin.

--------------------
Click Them
CLICK ALL THE EGGS
+Quote Post

Nightdude
post Jun 24 2012, 01:20 PM
Post #8

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Pkm Gold Team

QUOTE(Me Gusta @ Jun 24 2012, 07:14 AM) *

Well, I thought about Tekken and SC as well, but they don't really fit in all that much. Whereas Goku could easily work as a clone of Mewtwo/Lucario.
Or maybe bring back Gon. Hell, that'd be amazing.

--------------------

[Random House Quote]
"Ladies and Gentlemen! I have nothing in my hands, nothing up my sleeve. I do have something in my pants but that's not going to help with this particular trick..."

+Quote Post

Kazyx
post Jun 24 2012, 01:43 PM
Post #9

Veteran Kaz would like to battle!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1 227

ElecPsy Team

QUOTE(No Leaf Clover @ Jun 24 2012, 02:20 PM) *
QUOTE(Me Gusta @ Jun 24 2012, 07:14 AM) *

Well, I thought about Tekken and SC as well, but they don't really fit in all that much. Whereas Goku could easily work as a clone of Mewtwo/Lucario.
Or maybe bring back Gon. Hell, that'd be amazing.

I highly doubt we'll be seeing any characters who originate from anime or manga prior to their gaming introduction. It just wouldn't be Smash otherwise.

Still, this news is magnificent. THIS is the kind of thing I wanted to hear at E3.

--------------------
Click one of the images below to be directed to my profile on the shown website

+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Jun 24 2012, 11:47 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Active Squad

i am not feel very good about this announcement, though, because namco-bandai are a repetitive and dying company that suck shit at localizing things and/or are a generally very shoddy company. They don't quite have funds to do a project as massive as this anyway- remember the build-up for Brawl? Namco-Bandai are definitely not capable of making anything that fucking fantastic and exciting. No, like, seriously, fuck Namco-Bandai.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Nightdude
post Jun 25 2012, 09:19 AM
Post #11

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Pkm Gold Team

QUOTE(Kazyx @ Jun 24 2012, 08:43 PM) *
I highly doubt we'll be seeing any characters who originate from anime or manga prior to their gaming introduction. It just wouldn't be Smash otherwise.

Still, this news is magnificent. THIS is the kind of thing I wanted to hear at E3.

Prior to their... what? Where have you been living the past 20 years? There's even been DBZ with Waggle controls and stuff on the Wii.
Anyway, I really hope those devs are gonna outsource some balance issues and get rid of all the useless crap like tripping. Really.
Why would they need the funds for that project? The way I got it, they were being funded by Nintendo to help developing Nintendo's game. And with the Nintendo and Namco devs all helping each other out, this could turn out great.

Btw, who I'd really love to see in a new SMB is Conker. Conker's awesome.

--------------------

[Random House Quote]

+Quote Post

Kazyx
post Jun 25 2012, 10:13 AM
Post #12

Veteran Kaz would like to battle!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1 227

ElecPsy Team

QUOTE(No Leaf Clover @ Jun 25 2012, 10:19 AM) *
QUOTE(Kazyx @ Jun 24 2012, 08:43 PM) *

Prior to their... what? Where have you been living the past 20 years? There's even been DBZ with Waggle controls and stuff on the Wii.
Anyway, I really hope those devs are gonna outsource some balance issues and get rid of all the useless crap like tripping. Really.
Why would they need the funds for that project? The way I got it, they were being funded by Nintendo to help developing Nintendo's game. And with the Nintendo and Namco devs all helping each other out, this could turn out great.

Btw, who I'd really love to see in a new SMB is Conker. Conker's awesome.

DBZ did not originate on a console is what I'm trying to say. They've had many games, yes. But the series itself came from manga. I don't think we'll be seeing stuff like DBZ or Naruto, among many other manga collections being a part of Smash. They have their own game series, Jump! Ultimate Stars. They can stay there.

I agree. Tripping needs to go. It was a stupid mechanic and they should feel bad. Balancing certain characters would be nice too (coughmetaknightcough)

While Namco-Bandai may make repetitive games and whatnot, with the news that there's already a beta version made is what pleases me the most. To top that off, Sakurai himself even said he was impressed with it. With Namco-Bandai AND Sakurai's team working on Smash, this could mean we may get the game in half the time that was predicted. That's what pleases me the most.

HOWEVER, I don't want it to feel rushed. With two dev teams working on it, they can compliment one another's work, and get it right. If it isn't that great, I may just give up on Smash Brothers, much like how I've given up on Mario Party and how I hate the most recent Mario Kart and its stupid gimmicks.

--------------------
Click one of the images below to be directed to my profile on the shown website

+Quote Post

Mars Adept Enten
post Jun 25 2012, 12:29 PM
Post #13

Certified Psychotic Isaac Fangirl and Legendary Dogs Enthusiast
Group Icon

Member No.: 18 522

GS Crew

I'm kinda leery about seeing my beloved Smash Bros. being developed by Namdai. It's a Nintendo fighting series, first and foremost. IDK, it just doesn't sound like it'll be like the other games in the series with Bamco at the helm. I guess we'll have to wait for the final version to see just how different (if it is different at all) it'll be.

--------------------
I'm also known as Queen_Lugia on SPPf, and Queen-Articuno on dA, as well as a former aspiring trinketer on GPX+, a proud TheRunawayGuys fangirl, a proud participant of Extra Life, and proud supporter of TwitchPlaysPokemon.

I claimed Isaac from Golden Sun. Hands off mah bishie! tongue.gif And Capt. Linebeck, too!

Follow Isaac-kun to get to my party. I appreciate and try to return clickbacks! happy.gif

Thanks, xJesstheMess!

My shop! I appreciate requests! cat.gif

Entei stuff! (click to show)

Other stuff... (click to show)

Credit to: (click to show)
+Quote Post

Nightdude
post Jun 25 2012, 04:25 PM
Post #14

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Pkm Gold Team

QUOTE(Kazyx @ Jun 25 2012, 05:13 PM) *
DBZ did not originate on a console is what I'm trying to say. They've had many games, yes. But the series itself came from manga. I don't think we'll be seeing stuff like DBZ or Naruto, among many other manga collections being a part of Smash. They have their own game series, Jump! Ultimate Stars. They can stay there.

I agree. Tripping needs to go. It was a stupid mechanic and they should feel bad. Balancing certain characters would be nice too (coughmetaknightcough)

While Namco-Bandai may make repetitive games and whatnot, with the news that there's already a beta version made is what pleases me the most. To top that off, Sakurai himself even said he was impressed with it. With Namco-Bandai AND Sakurai's team working on Smash, this could mean we may get the game in half the time that was predicted. That's what pleases me the most.

HOWEVER, I don't want it to feel rushed. With two dev teams working on it, they can compliment one another's work, and get it right. If it isn't that great, I may just give up on Smash Brothers, much like how I've given up on Mario Party and how I hate the most recent Mario Kart and its stupid gimmicks.

Oh well, gotcha. And I never held it to be likely in any way that something like that makes it in... Was just stating how the movesets of Mewtwo/Lucario would fit almost perfectly for that type of character. If any Namco character was to make it in, it has to be some kind of Mascot. Pacman? Seems to be the most likely one, imo.

I don't have too much faith into the whole Wii U system already, so I am anxious about what will happen to SSB. I hope they let us use Gamecube pads again. Seriously.

--------------------

[Random House Quote]

+Quote Post

Me Gusta
post Jun 28 2012, 03:57 PM
Post #15

Hockey Brawl!
Group Icon

Me Swamsta

QUOTE(Mars Adept Enten @ Jun 25 2012, 10:29 AM) *
I'm kinda leery about seeing my beloved Smash Bros. being developed by Namdai. It's a Nintendo fighting series, first and foremost. IDK, it just doesn't sound like it'll be like the other games in the series with Bamco at the helm. I guess we'll have to wait for the final version to see just how different (if it is different at all) it'll be.

the thing is, nintendo themselves have said that the smash bros isn't a fighting game and they don't want it to be considered a fighting game, which is why brawl had all the tripping and super moves and stupid specials.

with namco working on it i have no idea what team it will be. if its the team that usually works dragon ball and other games like it (most likely) that usually suck, then the game itself won't change much and it might have some other useless bullshit.

--------------------
Click Them
CLICK ALL THE EGGS
+Quote Post

Nightdude
post Jun 28 2012, 08:13 PM
Post #16

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Pkm Gold Team

QUOTE(http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/22/namcos-smash-bros-team-includes-tekken-tales-soulcalibur-sta/)
Namco Bandai Studios' Masaya Kobayashi named some of the staff from Namco's side who will work on the fighting game, also describing their pedigree. "Yoshito Higuchi, the producer and the director of the 'Tales' series, Tetsuya Akatsuka, producer and director of 'Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs.,' the art director/sound director of the 'SoulCalibur' series, the main development team staff from the Tekken series...and that's just for starters."

The main devs from Tekken are there. Good enough for me.

This post has been edited by No Leaf Clover: Jun 28 2012, 08:14 PM

--------------------

[Random House Quote]

+Quote Post

Mars Adept Enten
post Jun 29 2012, 10:40 PM
Post #17

Group Icon

GS Crew

^That alleviates some, but not all of my concerns. Seeing as how Tekken and Soulcalibur are more on the 'hardcore' end of the fighting game spectrum, what's to say they won't make SM4SH cater to the tourney crowd? The fanbase is split as it is with the Scrubs and Stop Having Fun Guys already. This has the very real potential to just aggravate that schism even more.

--------------------
I'm also known as Queen_Lugia on SPPf, and Queen-Articuno on dA, as well as a former aspiring trinketer on GPX+, a proud TheRunawayGuys fangirl, a proud participant of Extra Life, and proud supporter of TwitchPlaysPokemon.

I claimed Isaac from Golden Sun. Hands off mah bishie! tongue.gif And Capt. Linebeck, too!

Follow Isaac-kun to get to my party. I appreciate and try to return clickbacks! happy.gif

Thanks, xJesstheMess!

+Quote Post

MarioKartEternit...
post Jul 1 2012, 04:26 PM
Post #18

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 166 717

My 6 Favorites:

The main things I'm concerned about is that, #1: If Namco Bandai is helping, there's a small chance they might transform it into another Tekken. #2: Another cameo is about to come in, probably. I despise Sonic and Snake for making everyone think the game is solely about cameos and want random and stupid ones like Naruto, Sora (from KH), Espio, Amy Rose, Metal Sonic, etc. It's getting annoying seeing so many people say that this game just HAS to have these otherwise it won't be successful. #3 At least they might get rid of the tripping. Dear god, please get rid of the tripping.

--------------------
DO NOT CALL ME MK!!!

If you are of a shortening mind, call me MKE.
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Jul 1 2012, 11:53 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

Active Squad

has nobody gotten to the point where namdai fucking suck, aren't original, and cannot advertise worth a fuck. seriously? We won't even know this game will be localized for like 3 months after it is released in the states, namdai are terrible! And Sakuraba making the soundtrack would be absolutely miserable, because Sakuraba is the most unoriginal composer I have ever seen in the industry. (If he pulls off a Resonance of Fate, then I won't mind- but if he pulls off what he pulled in any other tales game then I will be pissed)

--------------------
+Quote Post

Mars Adept Enten
post Jul 3 2012, 05:02 PM
Post #20

Group Icon

GS Crew

@Me Gusta: Nintendo can pose and posture all they want and say Smash Bros. isn't a fighting game. So how come it's listed as both a fighting game and the trope codifer of the mascot fighter over on TV Tropes? Hm? It's because it is a fighting game, albeit a rather unorthodox one.

@Lord Raven: I disagree with Motoi Sakuraba being a bad composer. He did the music for the GBA Golden Sun games, which have some of the most beautiful music I've heard in a video game series. And the fact that it was done for a handheld system (which usually have music cababilities below consoles) makes it even more impressive, IMO. He also was the arranger for the sole GS track in SSBB, Battle Scene/Final Boss (Golden Sun). Yes, that rock interpretation that sometimes plays on the Norfair stage but isn't from that series proper. I could complain about how that's not the most appropriate stage for that track, and it'd fit better on something like Pictochat, but this isn't the place for such talk. You may not like his work, but that's not to say everyone is the same way.

Aside from what I said above, I'm kinda with Raven on this. Seeing someone like Namdai working on a series I hold near and dear to my heart makes me nervous. Would you ask Microsoft to develop the next Zelda game? No, because that'd be utterly ridiculous. They don't have experience with the franchise. Granted, they have done some adventure games, but they wouldn't have a clue when it comes to developing a masterpiece like Zelda. (Sorry to any MS fans reading this; I just used MS developing Zelda as an example, and mean no ill will towards MS.)

This post has been edited by Mars Adept Enten: Jul 3 2012, 05:03 PM

--------------------

Thanks, xJesstheMess!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 03:30 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.