Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
What is your opinion on Gamer Girls., I would appreciate input in this Survey/Questionaire
PheonixGRX
post Aug 2 2013, 02:49 AM
Post #1

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 38 264

Active Squad

Hey all, I hope you can all help me out by filling out this quick survey I made.

Long story short, I am doing a course in Game Design and in the creative thinking class, I have been given an assignment to find a social problem and make a poster, clip, game, or anything about it, and I have chosen Girl Gamers. This is just a quick survey, and I once again apologize if this is in the wrong section. Bare with me as I may add questions in the future, but will tally these up by the end of the week.

1) Are you male or female?

2) How often do you play video games?

2-2) What genre of games do you prefer to play?

2-3) Within this time, how much of this is spent on online games? (if none, skip to 5)

3) Within online games, do you prefer to choose a character based on your gender, or the opposite gender, and why? (if you only play as male, skip to question 4)

3-2) When playing as a female, do you use your characters gender to try to get freebies from other players?

4) When playing online games, do you treat female characters differently to male characters? If so, then why? (anywhere from giving them freebies to killing them for playing a 'guys game'. This includes being kinder to new players)

4-2) What is your general response to females in games that try to use their gender or sexuality for items/equipment/money?

5) What is your general thought when hearing the term 'Girl Gamer' or 'Gamer Girl'?

6) How many female gamers do you know? (if 0, skip to question 7)

6-2) Of the female gamers you know, including yourself if you are a girl, what majority are casual gamers? (social games, iphone games, etc)

7) Do you think that casual gamers are real gamers, or not?

8) Do you think there should be a market of games designed for girls only, or should it continue to be a unisex genre?

9) Within games, what is your opinion on the sexualization of female characters? (from skimpy outfits to constant flirting with males (e.g. Mass Effect))

9-2) Using the above as an example, what do you think could be done to fix this?

10) If you have anything else to add, please do so here as it will help the research data.

That is all the questions I have for now, so I would like to thank anyone who partakes in this, as you will be helping me get 1 step closer to reaching my dream job of a Game Designer. Hopefully by the end of this, a lot more people will understand that females make awesome games as well, and soon shall have a gaming world where no one is treated differently because of their genitalia.

Thank you all happy.gif

--------------------
Help Bring back an old pokemon manga, visit and like this page HERE!

Join in on the adventure, and help decide our characters fate. Click HERE!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

jayrachi
post Aug 2 2013, 04:53 AM
Post #2

Janitor
Group Icon

Member No.: 133 427

wat

QUOTE(PheonixGRX @ Aug 2 2013, 03:49 AM) *

Male.

7-8 hours a day.

RPG

2-3) Within this time, how much of this is spent on online games? (if none, skip to 5)

Varies with the game I am playing.

3) Within online games, do you prefer to choose a character based on your gender, or the opposite gender, and why? (if you only play as male, skip to question 4)

I tend to just pick whichever character I find visually appealing.

3-2) When playing as a female, do you use your characters gender to try to get freebies from other players?

No.

4) When playing online games, do you treat female characters differently to male characters? If so, then why? (anywhere from giving them freebies to killing them for playing a 'guys game'. This includes being kinder to new players)

No.

4-2) What is your general response to females in games that try to use their gender or sexuality for items/equipment/money?

I tend to ignore it/laugh at it.

5) What is your general thought when hearing the term 'Girl Gamer' or 'Gamer Girl'?

A hot teen chewing on the cord of a 360 controller.

Somewhere around 10.

6-2) Of the female gamers you know, including yourself if you are a girl, what majority are casual gamers? (social games, iphone games, etc)

Not particularly - I don't think casual gamers are interested in the gaming community to be honest.

8) Do you think there should be a market of games designed for girls only, or should it continue to be a unisex genre?

A unisex genre.

9) Within games, what is your opinion on the sexualization of female characters? (from skimpy outfits to constant flirting with males (e.g. Mass Effect))

Generally negative, unless it fits with a person's personality. It saddens me that Tomb Raider's character design was turned into something so sexual when the creator hadn't wanted her to go in that direction at all.

9-2) Using the above as an example, what do you think could be done to fix this?

Focus less on the sex appeal of a character and more on building up their character's personality to have an actual good character.

10) If you have anything else to add, please do so here as it will help the research data.

While researching this, I think it is important to note that for a long while now, girls haven't been included in gaming as much because it always seemed like a boy's passtime, and perhaps that would make it uncomfortable for females to "join in," so to speak. As we get into an age where most technology is opening the gateways to a more unisex society, I believe this may become a less serious problem going forward, but only time may tell.

--------------------
+Quote Post

PheonixGRX
post Aug 2 2013, 05:44 AM
Post #3

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 38 264

Active Squad

quote (click to show)

I would like to thank you as from the 5 sites I have posted this on, you are the first person to properly answer this happy.gif

--------------------
Help Bring back an old pokemon manga, visit and like this page HERE!

Join in on the adventure, and help decide our characters fate. Click HERE!
+Quote Post

ThunderFox
post Aug 2 2013, 05:58 AM
Post #4

Energetic eletric fox!
Group Icon

Member No.: 40 096

My Team

Female

From 2 to 6 hours a day, everyday. cat.gif

Action, RPG and fighting games

Unfortunately I don't play much online games because I presently don't own much of the online multiplayer function games. >:

The wrong kind. >> The kind of person who dresses herself and takes a picture of her holding a famous game/console just to get attention and/or 'look good'. I think the term should change to we, girls, who love participatig in the world of games just as boys do.

A lot. I have a lot of friends who play games with me, along with my two sisters.

They don't really participate as much as the 'others' and don't show that much entusiasm... But I'm not sure if I can really say.

Unisex. -shivers- I don't even want to see what they would do if they separated markets. I'm very fine with all my bloody/action games... If it happened I'd have to dress as a boy and live in the boys game market. noes.gif

Most of the times, negative. But, I was happy that you used Mass Effect as an example, as it is one of my favorite games... The main female character is a very strong one, standing out as not a 'girly' character. I like that. But males aren't also just MUSCLES AND CURSE WORDS all the time.

More development in a character's structure. His/her personality and such. People focus too much on the looks. ):

Nothing really to add, other than this is very interesting and I hope I helped somehow c:

--------------------
--- I am the Thunder Fox and this is me living the dream! ---

Shinies and Groups! (click to show)

No one can take you away from me now
Don't worry if they take me away
No one can take you away from me now
Doesn't matter how long we have to wait~ ♥

+Quote Post

The Shadow
post Aug 2 2013, 10:06 AM
Post #5

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Member No.: 79 425

My Dream Team

1) Are you a male or female?

Male

2)How often do you play video games?

Whenever I have free time and am not on here

I prefer RPG, but am not opposed to some good Third Person Shooters

2-3) Within this time how much of it is spent in online games?

Most of it.

3) Within Online games do you prefer to play as a character of your gender or the opposite? Why?

I pick the one I like the best.

3-2) When playing as a female do you use your character to get free items from other players?

Nope.

4)When playing online games, do you treat female characters differently to male characters? If so, then why?

Nope. They're all the same.

I kill them for being the pathetic slimes they are.

5) What is your general thought when hearing the term "Girl Gamer" or "Gamer Girl"?

A girl who plays games :I

6) How many girl gamers do you know?

6-2) Of the female gamers you know, how many are casual gamers?

7) Do you think casual gamers are real gamers, or not?

I think that if you play games enough you're a gamer. Whether you're hardcore Halo master or just someone who jumps on a couple games of COD with their friends. Even playing like a match of Angry Birds and passing it is a game.

8) Do you think there should be a market designed for girl gamers only, or should it remain unisex?

Haven't seen the Barbie games, then?

9) Within games, what is your opinion on the sexualization of female gamers?

I think if the person who created the game wants them to be skimpy and sexual... It's their vision.

9-2) Using the example above, what could be done to fix this?

Nothing. People are going to create what they want to create. If they let the market of guys wanting sexy girls in games get to them... Then it's their choice. I don't think we should set restrictions on it or rules at all.

10) If you have nothing else to add, please do so here to help with the research data.

This is a bit rediculous to be honest. The fact that men outnumber girls in playing games should spark that all games should be turned toward a unisex basis? Seems stupid to me. I think that games are created by people(men and women, mind you) that think about what they want their game to be like. "The Last of Us" has very strong female protagonists as does "Remember Me". Both successful games that don't have massive boobs and revealing outfits. So think what you like but I do think that the games will and should continue the way they are because it's the people behind the game that make the decision. We shouldn't restrict their creativity.

This post has been edited by The Shadow: Aug 2 2013, 10:12 AM

--------------------

Wanna dance? (click to show)
+Quote Post

Wishful Jirachi
post Aug 2 2013, 12:58 PM
Post #6

Why must all things die...even this?
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 16 447

~HELLO~

Female

4-7 hours a day.

RPG, FPS, TPS

Most if not all is spent on online gaming.

I typically pick a character either based on personality/back-story, appearance or character specific abilities. If a game only offers two choices of either male or female and neither allows for customization then at that point I will pick female simply because I am female. If there are multiple options though I will take other factors into consideration.

No. Simply because a character is female does not mean it should grant the user 'freebies'.

No. There is no difference between female and male characters nor the users behind them and so there shouldn't be any separation. Gender should not be a factor to how the user is treated.

I dislike the idea but I admit I'm not one to call out a female for doing such things. I am more inclined to ignore them than to bother getting annoyed and saying something.

Personally, girl gamer simply means a female who plays games. Nothing special, nothing different. I am aware of the other classification of the more skimpy, 'sexy' idea that goes along with girl gamer but I do not support or agree with such a definition.

None

This one is a more tricky one to answer. Gamers are gamers regardless of if casual or what kind of game but I do think there is a small separation in terms of the definition of gamer which divides casual and 'hardcore'. So I'd group casual gamers as real gamers but not as 'hardcore' gamers. I think there is technically a classification separation.

While it would be nice for companies to realize more than they already do that females play their games I think that unisex genre is the way to go. I fear that if the markets separated that girl's games would be like the cooking or baby games that are out now. I think that if there were games designed specifically for females that some of the qualities which attract females to the male oriented games would be lost which would be a pitty.

I think that it is unneeded. A character can be loved for their personality or back-story rather than just because they're busty and not afraid to show it. However, if a character is meant to be a seductress and that is their role in the story and there is justification/ a purpose to the character actually being there and being the way they are then it is fine. It is when a character is thrown in there simply to be the eye candy that annoys me.

Honestly, I don't think much will change. With the way the games are made and society is I don't see much changing anytime soon but if something were to be changed then I'd like such characters to instead be better developed in terms of character design and plot development. Minor instances of this are bound to happen and are acceptable. That's simply how things are but to take those characters that were simply eye candy before and to make them more in depth and more likable on other levels I think would not only create a better acceptance of said characters as well as also toning them down at the same time.

N/A

--------------------
Hey. Dark, Arcy if you see this, you can find me (Wishie) here:
https://www.madisonrenae.com/
https://www.facebook.com/madison.pontenberg/
+Quote Post

Quomimi
post Aug 2 2013, 01:30 PM
Post #7

Nerd
Group Icon

Member No.: 101 034

Babys <3

Female

Often 2-12 hours a day, when I'm free. If I'm busy, 2-7.

RPG games, games with action, ones a good story and great puzzles.

None... I don't play online games.

Skip

Skip

Skip

Skip

A girl who plays video games, basically.

About 3.

All of them.

Sure. They're still gamers.

Nah, keep it unisex.

Blegh. I don't like it.

Maybe show game designers how much we don't like how the girls act/dress in some way, such as a poll or something.

None.

This post has been edited by Quomimi: Aug 2 2013, 01:34 PM
+Quote Post

Emma and Reina
post Aug 2 2013, 02:02 PM
Post #8

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 143 615

my team in pearl

- Female

- Not often, just normally to past time or try and sleep

- Any "genre" of game is fine if it has an engaging storyline

- Online games are only when I am at home and my friends are on, so almost none to very little

- I will play as which ever character I feel like choosing at the time, but I mostly pick based on my own gender because it's the gender that I am. I don't see a reason to play as the opposite gender if I can be one that let's me choose in the start.

- No. The only time I try and get freebies from other players is from my friends if they are willing to spare or have extra stuff they don't want

- I don't treat any player differently. Male or female, new or not. I'll be more inclined to help the newer players however since they are just starting and all.

- Very, very annoying! And I'm leaving it there so I can remain in a happy state today.

- I don't think much of it...

- Err.... Roughly 4

- Not sure. I'm guessing all 4

- I don't see why they shouldn't be called a gamer if they want.

- Unisex. Mostly because it opens a much broader range of games...

- Ugh.... Not every female tries to get men to notice her, so when things like that happen over and over, it just gets really stressing and I normally put the game away for a bit or just stop playing it.

- I guess I said it above. Limit it down a notice, or just stop it... Sure there are some games which only have interesting storyline because of the girl flirting with every guy she sees(maybe.... I've yet to play through a full game like that) but it really needs to be cut down. Even a little bit would do.

- Not really...

--------------------

pokemon and dragons... do they even mix...? to me, like fire and ice. very pretty....

^ keiko <3
+Quote Post

Aura Dynasty
post Aug 2 2013, 02:37 PM
Post #9

Guess who's back?
Group Icon

Member No.: 168 546

Jill Cortoma

Female

Only the weekends during school, vacation almost every day. In hours, 2- 7 hours

Almost everything, from Fanatasy RPG's to shooters, real-life action and puzzle-based games.

2-3) Within this time, how much of this is spent on online games?
Perhaps 2-4 hours

3) Within online games, do you prefer to choose a character based on your gender, or the opposite gender, and why?
Depending on the genre and the amount one can customize their appearance. But mostly I take my own gender.

Nope, Honest playing only. If you like to get far in the game you do it with the things you have.

No, all get the same treatement.

BOOOO! If you need to use your gender to get stuff you're not cut out for that game at all.

People like myself, who have developed a fondness for gaming and are capable of even beating the game in a better way than boys can.

At least 20.

All of them

Yes, you don't have to be a wiki about it, liking the game and being able to play it fair is enough.

Continue to be unisex, because who knows what kind of games will be designed for the female gamers? I don't want to see a barbie game coming for PlayStation 3!

I suppose that's a guy thing. A stereotype of the female characters in games... It's disappointing.

No idea, there could be done so much, but to start and fix that stereotype is almost impossible. You'd have to change the society before being able to change it in-game.

Nope, nothing really.

This post has been edited by Aura Dynasty: Aug 2 2013, 02:41 PM

--------------------
My body...
is made out of swords.
Iron is my blood
and glass is my heart.

I have overcome countless battlefields undefeated.
Not once have I retreated,
Nor once have I been understood.
Always alone....
On the hill of swords...
intoxicated by victory...

Thus, this life has no meaning...
This body...surely was...
Made out of blades.

PANE (click to show)

Uprising (click to show)
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Aug 2 2013, 03:22 PM
Post #10

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

QUOTE(PheonixGRX @ Aug 2 2013, 02:49 AM) *
male

Tough question, it's really sporadic. Some days I'd end up playing for 6 hours and then other days I end up not touching it. I'm gonna guess around 20-30 hours a week, maybe 40-50 if I manage to take out sleep.

RPG

None

No thoughts

Couldn't say. I know a bunch who game, and I'm not going to go through the trouble of counting that number.

Not many of them. They do play iphone games but they play other games too.

yes

Unisex. Truthfully it hasn't been truly unisex I'd think but at the same time there have been girl focused games too (Bayonetta comes to mind)

Guys are losing shirts and wearing skintight stuff too, it's just more gamers are guys so the sexualization is noticed on the female side more. This is too much of an open-ended question for me to answer succinctly.

This is a pretty open-ended question as well. The obvious answer is to make developers do it less, the deeper answer is society, etc. Model more females after Lightning in FF13. idk man

--------------------
+Quote Post

Rhapsody
post Aug 2 2013, 07:00 PM
Post #11

you got some nice boulders
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 795

porgeymins

Female.

1-6 hours a day and daily. Usually more like 2 or 3.

Action-adventure, strategy, RPGs

I spend a good portion of time playing games that have online capability (Borderlands, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, etc.) but I don't usually use the online features much. If you mean browser-based games, not a whole lot.

Usually female first, then male. Also will pick male first if the female model isn't very appealing to me.

No.

No. I don't see any reason to.

If they're good at it and get results, good for them! I think it just says more about the person who gives them the free stuff.

A person who identifies as female who plays video games.

I can't give you an actual number, but I know quite a few.

The portion of them who only play casual games: ~10%, I guess? The portion who play casual games at all: 99% (because I'm sure at least one of them only plays wicked hardcore games).

Absolutely. The argument about this is inane and, quite frankly, irritating. A game is a game and a gamer is a gamer. No need to keep shoving everybody into boxes.

It's.. not quite unisex to begin with, but I believe games should be made with all genders in mind. That isn't to say that games marketed towards stereotypically feminine interests shouldn't be made; Cooking Mama is the shit.

If the character is both sexy and has a personality, great! Good for them. Miranda has a lot of sex appeal, but she's more complex than one would think judged on her appearance alone. I quite like her as a character. Characters like Bayonetta are pretty cool, too. If being sexy is a part of their character, then so be it.

If the character is completely vapid and boring but has a huge set of bazongas and is wearing a single strip of fabric for clothing, then... I guess that's alright too, as long as there's also some ridiculously-ripped guy running around in a thong. Equal representation!

Like Raven said, there's a lot to this question that can't be succinctly answered. It's a rough subject and it's not easy to sum it all up.

I don't think sexualization is wrong (if the character is of legal age...), but it can't be the only interesting thing about a character. If enough people complain about it and speak with their money, then game makers will change their outlook accordingly. If sex stops selling, they'll stop selling sex. Like others have said, however, this is something that you'd need to change on the societal level, not something that you can magically flip a switch and fix.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Jen
post Aug 3 2013, 07:23 PM
Post #12

Pidgey Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 64 269

PIDGEY LOVE

Female.

2-4 times a week maybe for about 2-3 hours.

I like a bunch of different types of games. Shooters, survival horror, action adventure, puzzles. Mostly anything not sports related.

2-3) Within this time, how much of this is spent on online games?
I've never been an online player, but I did play DC Universe online for a few days.

3) Within online games, do you prefer to choose a character based on your gender, or the opposite gender, and why?
I always play as a female if I can. As for the why, I guess because I prefer playing the same gender as myself? I also like the female body more, I like to see the curves.

Guy models are usually too rough looking. Too "manly" for me, I guess. A guy I enjoyed playing as was Leon in Resident Evil 4, he has that cute baby face look and his hair is awesome. I really liked to see the muscles through his shirt too. They weren't too big or anything like Chris' muscles in RE5.

Joel from The Last of Us was a great male lead. I liked the guy from Heavy Rain, as well. Well really, I guess I don't care who I play as in single player games. (I know, I strayed from the question. >.>)

I also play as Coach in Left for Dead 2 (He's the reason why there's this running joke about how I have a big black man inside of me hah. We were playing with a mod that used the Left 4 Dead 1 character models. I was playing as coach, but showing up as Zoey, and every time she spoke she had Coach's voice, so it was pretty hilarious). I hate the girl in that game, she's not any kind of attractive to me and she's annoying.

No, I don't bother talking to anyone.

4) When playing online games, do you treat female characters differently to male characters? If so, then why?
No.

I envy them because I wish I could be a good gold digger lol I don't see any problem in it though, if that's how people find games to be fun - guys and girls alike - then why not. It's part of the social game.

Girls who play games. :') Seriously, I wish I could find more female Youtubers who don't do Minecraft, Sims, or CoD, but just more general games.

6) How many female gamers do you know?
I know some, but I don't know how many. Include me in the "too lazy to count" group. tongue.gif

Um.. all who I know also like to play some form of console/pc game.

I think that depends. If they stick to only iPhone games, then I don't think so. Gamers should have a controller/keyboard in their hands. Unless they also play board games pretty frequently, then I think that counts too.

I'm good with how things are.

As long as they aren't annoying (Vanille FFXIII) then I don't mind them. I don't know if I've played a game where they constantly flirt with guys, but appearance wise I prefer girls to look hot/sexy and flaunt their femininity. If they're a playable character then even better.

There's actually one time when I hated when a game made a girl's outfit too sexy. Batman: AA with Harley's nurse outfit was pretty ridiculous. I also didn't like how her personality was a bit different from the animated series, too, she was a lot more adorable in the show.

Basically, I don't care if a character is fully dressed or not, if they're annoying then I don't like them.

I never said there was anything wrong with it. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Jen: Aug 3 2013, 07:41 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Letan
post Aug 3 2013, 09:53 PM
Post #13

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 1 219

Lugia Hype

Male

Anywhere from 2-10 hours a day, it probably averages out around 4-6.

Action-adventure, FPS, RPG

Recently, 1 hour a day. Couple months back it was easily 6.

I prefer to play games as my own gender when given the choice. However, I don't have any problems with being forced to play as a female character (ex. Resident Evil Revelations).

No. I barely socialize with other characters, but when I do I give everyone equal treatment.

I don't tend to bother with responding verbally, though my opinion of it is the same as anyone who begs for free gear in games. Why bother wasting time begging when you could be putting that time into earning that equipment yourself?

It's great that "nerd culture" has gone from something with a negative connotation to a far more popular lifestyle. When such a change occurs, people typically like to be more vocal about their appreciation of it, hence why "Gamer Girl" is a thing. Mind you, I don't see what's wrong with just calling yourself a "gamer" and leaving it at that, considering that there are now a lot of women that enjoy video games.

I dunno an exact amount, but I'd say it's more than 10.

Probably 2 or 3.

Yes. The amount of hours you put into a game does not automatically relate with your skill level. I've known plenty of people who will play a certain game and are still not good at it, and I've known people who will pick up a game and be skilled at it.

No, it should be a unisex form of media. Creating games strictly for girls only runs the risk of perpetuating sexism. Proper female protagonists need to become more of a thing, however.

I'm against any unrealistic portrayals of people, it ruins the immersion of a game. Like everyone else said, character personality is a much larger factor in this than aesthetics.

The industry needs to start reflecting its audience. Currently the male population is still massive, and sadly there aren't many female role models to get girls interested in becoming a part of video game development. But who knows, this industry grows so fast that in 5 years that could all change.

Nope.

Also this is more off-topic, but I wish you the best of luck with getting into the industry as a designer. From what I've witnessed from fellow graduates and been told by people currently in the industry, it's probably one of the hardest fields to get into, especially considering that when you look up "junior game designer" you barely see any results. Best word of advice I've heard was get a position in QA if you wanna go the design route, it's very relevant to said career path.

--------------------
[align=center]

=- Game Dev, currently making a game called Cursed Seasons. I tweet about it sometimes. -=
http://cursedseasons.tumblr.com/
Discord is a thing

[/align]
+Quote Post

Karl Marx
post Aug 5 2013, 04:00 PM
Post #14

The Truth Is We Out Here
Group Icon

Member No.: 40 752

SWAMPERT

female

about 8-10 hours, depending on when i get up

RPG, FPS, action-adventure

maybe like 2-3 hours, usually with team fortress 2

i usually play as the opposite gender [male] on both online and offline games. it's always been like that for as long as i can remember

no because i don't socialize much on online games and i there's no reason why i should try to get freebies from others. no one gets freebies in tf2 [i am not sure about other popular FPSs such as call of duty or battlefield because i don't play them]

i treat everyone equally regardless of gender

it's kind of stupid really.

it's stupid. who cares if you play video games and you're a girl? doesn't mean shit just play your damn game

a few. i'm not sure

i don't know

they're playing a game, right?

it should continue being a unisex genre so that everyone can have their fair share of games and fun

if a character wears skimpy clothing because she enjoys wearing it, then that's no problem. of course, if it's at the point where the character is meant to be sexualized and that is the only purpose of the character, then we have a problem.

possibly more female protagonists. not sure exactly how to word this

nah

--------------------
When I'm sad I get in my Pod, I stare out the window and I'm like it's macaroni time

shiny swaggies (click to show)

+Quote Post

Mars Adept Enten
post Aug 8 2013, 03:02 PM
Post #15

Certified Psychotic Isaac Fangirl and Legendary Dogs Enthusiast
Group Icon

Member No.: 18 522

GS Crew

Here's my feedback:

1. Are you male or female?
Female.

2. How often do you play video games?
Depends on my mood. It's not uncommon for me to spend around 6 or more hours playing games.

2-2. What genre of games do you prefer to play?
JRPG, Action-Adventure, Strategy, Adventure and Puzzle.

2-3. Within this time, how much of this is spent on online games?
Very little. I may do some Nintendo WFC Brawl matches, but I generally prefer playing by myself. So, probably less than an hour.

Questions 3 through 4-2 didn't really apply, so those are skipped.

5. What is your general thought on hearing 'Girl Gamer' or 'Gamer Girl'?
I'm ambivalent on it. If you play video games, you're a gamer. It's stupid to differentiate gamers by gender.

6. How many female gamers do you know?
IRL, just me and my friend Kojinka. Online, I'm not sure. sealed.gif

7. Do you think casual gamers are real gamers or not?
[bleep] no.

8. Do you think there should be a market of games designed for girls only, or should it continue to be a unisex genre?
Unisex, no doubt about it.

9. Within games, what is your opinion on the sexualization of female characters? (from skimpy outfits to constant flirting with males (e.g. Mass Effect))
Oversexualization of female protagonists/antagonists needs to stop. No questions asked. It's sickening to see the vast majority of women in gaming be characterized as shallow bimboes who wear extremely revealing outfits and just serve as eye candy/sexual interests. mad.gif IMO, the Dead or Alive games are a perfect example of what not to do with female characters.

9-2. Using the above as an example, what do you think could be done to fix this?
Get more women developers/character designers in the industry. The main reason we have this issue is because Most Gamers Are Male/Most Writers Are Male.

10. If you have anything else to add, please do so here as it will help the research data.
I've pretty much said all of my opinions in the above answers, so there's not much else I want to say.

Hope this response helps out with your project, OP. happy.gif

This post has been edited by Mars Adept Enten: Aug 8 2013, 03:02 PM

--------------------
I'm also known as Queen_Lugia on SPPf, and Queen-Articuno on dA, as well as a former aspiring trinketer on GPX+, a proud TheRunawayGuys fangirl, a proud participant of Extra Life, and proud supporter of TwitchPlaysPokemon.

I claimed Isaac from Golden Sun. Hands off mah bishie! tongue.gif And Capt. Linebeck, too!

Follow Isaac-kun to get to my party. I appreciate and try to return clickbacks! happy.gif

Thanks, xJesstheMess!

My shop! I appreciate requests! cat.gif

Entei stuff! (click to show)

Other stuff... (click to show)

Credit to: (click to show)
+Quote Post

Grimwood
post Aug 9 2013, 08:11 AM
Post #16

Blanket Burrito
Group Icon

Member No.: 143 517

Me and the boys

QUOTE(PheonixGRX @ Aug 2 2013, 03:49 AM) *
Female

Hmm... real video games on weekends and computer games average of 6-8 hrs/daily

Action, roleplay, rarely shooting(because its fun cat.gif)

6-8 hrs/daily

Useally my gender

nope, I put on a ninja mask though.

If they are the "girly girl" gamers I look down on them and ignore them because they just use online games to get a date

Report them 5-10 times, block them, and finally laugh and tell them to shut up

Me and my friend playing LotR online with headsets talking to each other

1 just one in the whole middle school

Both of us sometimes

No just weirdos posing as gamers

unisex genre

If its an ad I mute it if not I think to myself "I feel sorry for the men who play that game"

Hmm.... Girl gamers starting a mass strike

If you underestimate girl gamers then please don't cause If you mess with the wrong one you'll get what's coming to you.

+Quote Post

daly
post Aug 9 2013, 12:52 PM
Post #17

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 203 259

Active Squad

male

hmm, maybe a few times a week

arpg/mmorpg, puzzle

all of the games I play are online

no preference, I like to play as both, I like playing rangers/archers which are sometimes male or female only, I guess I mostly choose what I play because I like the look

no

no, but I can't say I interact with a lot of players, I tend to be fairly independent, I'm usually pretty generous with drops and would let most people have them, unless they're super rares

Hmm, I think this is a complicated question. I would probably say "get it, gurl" or something in a similar vein. I think the crux of this problem relies in the real world and not only just the virtual, which has a lot to do with systematic sexism and misogyny so I think it should be okay for them to use their own sexuality as they wish.

ugh, disgust because I feel like it's an identity invented for mostly a misogynistic base. Like I understand how you can be a women and play games, but "Gamer Girl" TM seems more like something made to reduce women/girls who play games and root their identity in a male-centric gaze

no idea, maybe 10+, I don't actually keep in touch with many people honestly

probably 4

yeah I guess, no idea what a "real gamer" is, I think this is also a behavior that's pretty elitist

unisex? the natural state of supposedly "gender neutral" games is undoubtedly more masculine/for a male audience. I guess my response would be I wish there were more feminine games and I wish they were accepted as something worthy of the same respect as these supposedly "unisex" games.

It's just plain sexism/part of an extension of the heterosexual male gaze

I honestly don't know, I think the wider problem is how it's systematic, part of this is tied to the gender binary, another part is rooted in heteronormativity. The only way to change this from an abstract and more total effort is to crush the patriarchy and try to become less rooted in traditional gender identities/sexualities. Otherwise, I guess we must protest and try not to encourage it. I think this is a problem that straight males also need to take responsibility for.

I guess in the end, I feel really sad about this phenomenon. While I am not a woman, I do understand other areas of discrimination such as being a racial minority and with my sexuality.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Naixatloz
post Aug 9 2013, 04:01 PM
Post #18

A-set, you bet!
Group Icon

Member No.: 56 857

Female

I play browser games daily, and other games usually a minimum of three days a week.

I prefer JRPGs, but I also dabble a lot in puzzle games and music-based games. Practically the only games that I won't play at all are first-person shooters.

The online games I play are almost exclusively pet sites, so I'm gonna skip to question 5.

I think it's stupid. A gamer is a gamer, regardless of gender, and female gamers shouldn't be set apart by a label, whether by themselves or others.

A lot. Like, more than I can count. The majority of my female friends are gamers.

Just about all of us play a mixture of casual games and more traditional games, though mostly non-casual.

I'll admit to my own bias against people who only play casual games, but I do think it's wrong of me. Like I said earlier, a gamer is a gamer.

I think both males and females can enjoy the same games, and even if there were more games that were based around more stereotypically feminine things, they shouldn't be designed to exclude male gamers.

I'll tolerate sexualization to a degree, but I've seen a few games that I think have gone too far. I don't necessarily have a problem with skimpy outfits or anything of the sort, and I'll even suspend my disbelief when it comes to fighting in those outfits. One of the games that I think does take sexualization too far, and which I actually have experience with, is Ar tonelico Qoga. I love the AT series to bits, but I'm awfully disappointed by Qoga's Purging system, which is basically an excuse to get female party members to take their clothes off. For a series that otherwise does a lot to portray strong female characters who are more than just "singing dolls", as one character puts it, it seems like a huge, hypocritical step backwards.

Like I said, I don't have a problem with a little bit of sexualization, but there's a line between sexualization and objectification, and I just think both game designers and players need to follow their common sense to decide when that line is crossed. If you're paying more attention to a female character's body than who she is and what she can do, you need to step back and think.

--------------------

+Quote Post

dragonowl21
post Aug 10 2013, 03:22 AM
Post #19

wordswordswords
Group Icon

Member No.: 170 541

Active Squad

Female.

I play about 5 hours a day.

I prefer to play rpg's and 1st person shooters console, and rpg's online.

About 2 hours a day.

I normally try to play games that don't really have clear-cut genders, such as games where you play as an animal. But, if I play one with apparent gender, I play as a female just so I don't have to try to masquerade.

No, that's ridiculous! If you're going to play, you might as well work for it.

I treat everyone the exact same. For all I know, half of the "girls" playing are just using the female character when they're really a guy.

I haven't seen these types of people, but I think I'd tell them to work for it, it's not that hard.

If I hear the term, I just think, " 'Kay then, we're talking about gamers, what about them..." I more or less just block out all gender related words. There's no difference.

I'd have to say two, counting myself.

I don't really know any of them.

I don't really think so, because when I hear casual I think Angry Birds. But, there's also people who play casually, a.k.a not really trying, or just want to have fun. Those kinds of people are "real" gamers, to me. I think I associate ipods as casual games, and consoles/computers as "real".

"Stay a unisex genre?" Oh, you crack me up. All games are pretty much directed at guys, unless it's something like "Imagine _____" which is more or less a series of mobile dress-up games brought to a console. If something's going to be unisex, it should erase all traces of gender. So, in other words, I'd prefer it to be unisex.

I think if a character's going to be sexualized too much, they just shouldn't be there, plain and simple. But, if it's a thing that can be realisticaly understood, it should stay. For example, in games like Mortal Kombat, I can actually see women wanting as little hindering cloth covering themselves so they can react quicker to slap the hell out of someone or jump over a FLAMING BALL OF FIRE/not be on fire as long if they fail because of the lack of flammable material. Still, if it's literally for the purpose of attracting the male genre to the game, like DOA... Just no.

I think that as for sexualization, games should take some tips from the original Metroid. What I mean is, have the character's gender be found out about rather than plain to see, such as having them in a boy-like suit obscuring the face, or in 1st person games, have no he/she terms and a mirror near the end so you see your character. But, Metroid really messed up on the 2 hours or less bikini thing. That, or if it's a kind of thing like the accidental enlargening of Lara Croft in her first game, the designer should, I don't know... secretly go in and dial down the largness a bit?

I really wish developers would actually listen to the kinds of things we say about the topic of gamers and sexualization.

--------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credits
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+Quote Post

BarkingChaos
post Aug 10 2013, 01:37 PM
Post #20

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 112 100

Sandshrew Army

Female

I couldn't even begin to make a guess. A few hours a day at least.

Action, Fighting, Driving/Racing, anything thats kinda mindless Hack n Slash

None (truthfully I just suck too much to ever play online)

Girl Gamer I think of a person who just happens to be a girl who plays games, as 'girl' is used as an adjective to describe the gamer. Gamer Girl has a lot more negative connotations, like those girls who try to be "cool" and pose with gaming controllers upside down or something.

Off the top of my head, I can only think of one person

If you mean JUST casual games, then 0. But we both play facebook games.

I believe that 'real' gamers are anyone who will play and accept any game for what it is. They don't have to like the game, but they are willing to give it a chance and not condemn it without playing it first. So, I would dare say that 'casual gamers' can be more real gamers than the 'hardcore' gamers who look down on anything that's not a shooter.

No. Having a girl game market would just fuel stereotypes.

I couldn't care less. I'm not offended by it. They are not real. If a man sees a female character dressed really skimpy and thinks thats ok in real life, then one, that man has problems and video games are not the cause of it and two isn't worth anyone's time of day. What offends me is the attitude males have towards females who play games. Because you have those women who like to pose making out with gaming systems who have probably never played a video game in their life, those women give everyone else who just wants to play a bad name :/

Gaming companies need to stop segregating games to appeal to girls. They obviously don't know what they are doing.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:37 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.